•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lightroom or Photshop? Or both?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Arkansas Skies

Arkansas Skies

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

I see where some use PS while others are using LR. I notice that on the website it gives you the choice of spending $10/month for using LR or you can spend $20/month for both. Honestly though, do you have to have PS or can post processing be done in LR? Or do you need both?

#2 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Soyuz

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:38 PM

Why not PixInsight and the boxed version of Lightroom for touch-ups -or- AstroPixel Processor and the boxed version of Lightroom for touch-ups.

Or just PixInsight -or- AstroPixel Processor...?

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

I see where some use PS while others are using LR. I notice that on the website it gives you the choice of spending $10/month for using LR or you can spend $20/month for both. Honestly though, do you have to have PS or can post processing be done in LR? Or do you need both?

Neither.  Astro Pixel Processor both stacks and processes.  There are real advantages to an astro specific program that does both, and APP is relatively easy to use.

Whatever you decide, this book will be extremely helpful.  It uses PixInsight and Photoshop for examples, but the explanatory material applies to anything.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

• Arkansas Skies likes this

#4 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose

Posted 22 February 2020 - 01:43 PM

I had the $10/month version of LR and PS. I wasn't using it that much and dropped the subscription in favor of GIMP, which is free and has most of the features that an APer would use in LR/PS. I also have a license for PixInsight.

#5 wsbrown

wsbrown

Sputnik

• Loc: Baxley, GA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

I use both. Photoshop for curves and per channel processing. Lightroom for finishing touches as the sliders are just faster for comparing how something affects the image.

#6 Cdnpilot

Cdnpilot

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:14 PM

There is not much you cannot do in Photoshop that you can do in Lightroom - but it is much easier in Lightroom. Photoshop gives you the added dimension of layers - something LR will not do. I am a professional photographer during the day and use both - but still prefer Pix for astro.

#7 TXDigiSLR

TXDigiSLR

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:24 AM

I may be wrong but I think Photoshop edits can be done in a much higher bit depth.

You can still get PhotoShop and Lightroom for $10 a month, it just includes much less cloud storage. You may have to search hard or even call them for it. Adobe has been hiding the less expensive options...

#8 Teddythefinger

Teddythefinger

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:19 PM

I've been only using Photoshop. But thankfully I had a copy of cs6 to be able to use. I've tried pixinsight but...it's a bit tough so it's Photoshop for me. I use Lightroom for 99% of my wedding photography but for Astro....never could get it to work well enough.

#9 PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:33 PM

Take a look at Affinity Photo rather than PS/Lightroom.

Edited by PhilipPeake, 23 February 2020 - 02:34 PM.

#10 nitegeezer

nitegeezer

Galactic Ghost

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

The latest release of GIMP works well for me and being free there is no risk in trying it. There are a few videos on YouTube that are a good introduction. You want GIMP 2.10 as it has more resolution, 16-bit versus 8-bit.

#11 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:54 AM

They're different programs with different purposes. If you don't know which will work for your AP workflows, why not pay the extra $10 to try both for a month?

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 24 February 2020 - 04:02 AM.

#12 Arkansas Skies

Arkansas Skies

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:22 AM

Thank you all for the advice.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics