•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Over the Moon!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

Some of you might have seen my post about "My journey so far..." well the opportunity knocked on the door (computer screen) to pick up an 8 month old WO Zenith Star 103 at what i think was a great deal!

I did not hesitate (having deliberated for some time over a beautiful Megrez 110 a while back, and regretted not purchasing), I pulled the trigger and paid my $750 to the seller. It arrived yesterday, it knocked my socks off!!!! What a beautiful instrument, looks brand new except for a mark on the focuser the seller disclosed and told me how it occurred which set my mind at ease, there's not even any marks on the dovetail... just gorgeous, like the title says "Over the Moon"! 

Going to take my time, a few more items to purchase before I put it to good use, meanwhile my little AT 72EDII will get some more star time and i've still a tremendous amount to learn however I think i'm on the right track hence some more investment into this absorbing hobby!

Thank you for all the kind words of encouragement on my previous post "My journey so far..." this forum is brilliant and a great aid to someone like me, new to this environment!

Attached Thumbnails

• Resized_20200221_145941_6621.jpeg
  • Resized_20200221_150304_6017.jpeg

• Gary Z, Madratter, zakry3323 and 4 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:20 PM

Just beautiful. Love its external looks. May its internals and through be just as pretty!

• HowardSD likes this

#3 Gary Z

Gary Z

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Mexico

Posted 22 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

That's a beautiful scope if there ever was one!!! Best wishes on your journey!!!

Gary

• HowardSD likes this

#4 Noobulosity

Noobulosity

Viking 1

• Loc: Loveland, CO

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:19 PM

I bought this exact scope as my first telescope.  I absolutely agree, it is fantastic!  Smooth dual-speed focuser, great build quality, looks sharp with that white/blue color scheme.  Comes with the built-in Bahtinov mask.  And even as a doublet, I get zero noticeable chromatic aberration when imaging.  (It does say it's an APO, but still.)  I can't really find anything wrong with mine, and I bet you won't either.

I've debated trading for a wider field-of-view scope, but I just can't bear to part with it, yet.  I may never part with it!  I paid more for mine, but it came with the Flat 6AII FF/FR, so you're in the right ballpark, I think.  But this scope has made me a HUGE fan of William Optics.  If I upgrade, it'll be to a WO triplet, like a GT81 or something similar.

Now, just have to get some clear skies to put it to good use!

• HowardSD likes this

#5 OldManSky

OldManSky

Gemini

• Loc: Valley Center, CA USA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:02 PM

Nice acquisition!

The blue is nice, but I prefer gold...:)

You're going to love it!

Attached Thumbnails

• firstlightsetup3a.jpg

• HowardSD likes this

#6 Stellar1

Stellar1

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a zenithstar 126, now that I see how beautiful yours is, I may just bite the bullet and, dodge my wife's kitchen utensils coming at me at the speed of sound and get it!. That is a sweet looking scope, I would like to know more about how it performs under the stars, I wonder if someone here would want to weigh in?.

Enjoy that amazing scope and, congrats!

#7 HowardSD

HowardSD

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Palm Springs, CA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:16 AM

I am seriously about to pull the trigger on a zenithstar 126, now that I see how beautiful yours is, I may just bite the bullet and, dodge my wife's kitchen utensils coming at me at the speed of sound and get it!. That is a sweet looking scope, I would like to know more about how it performs under the stars, I wonder if someone here would want to weigh in?.

Enjoy that amazing scope and, congrats!

Hi Stellar1, thank you, all i can say is as good as it looks in the photos... it's even better when you have it in front of you, a work of art... worth a flesh wound! Personally my ears took a beating and probably my wallet in the next few days, still worth it! LOL

Don't know if you saw this post on the 126 - https://www.skyatnig...-apo-refractor/

Good luck you will not be disappointed if you pull the trigger!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics