•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Pentax DSLR, Orion ED80, Astrotrac- feasible?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jovian Admirer

Jovian Admirer

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:07 PM

The Astrotrac is supposed to be able to handle up to 25 lbs.  I'm curious if anyone has used it with their DSLR and a refractor like the Orion ED80?  Thanks.    

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

The Astrotrac is supposed to be able to handle up to 25 lbs.  I'm curious if anyone has used it with their DSLR and a refractor like the Orion ED80?  Thanks.    

It's not so much the weight limits. but the focal length of the OTA you're using. The ED 80 is 600mm fl. . The Astrotrac has great built in accuracy, but 600mm is beyond it's capabilities unless you settle for very short exposures and are using an extremely stable tripod. The Astrotrac also can't be autoguided.

Beyond that, manual target acquisition at 600mm without screwing up your polar alignment is going to be a bear.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics