•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Horsehead and Flame Nebula....humbled

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:15 PM

Man, this was really tough to edit! I'm in a bortle 6 zone and thought 4.5hrs would be plenty....Nope! It was super tough to build contrast against the light polluted sky.

Details:
80mm Apo

Canon 7d(Un-modded)
280*90s over 3 nights

I'm curious how other would fair with the same data so here's a link to download the stacked 32bit Tiff file from DSS if anyone wants to take a shot. Each of the 3 nights were stacked separately with their calibration frames. The resulting 3 images were then combined in DSS.

https://www.dropbox....4.5hrs.TIF?dl=0

Attached Thumbnails

• IC 434 Stacked 4.5hrs Edited v3 CN.jpg

Edited by ThatsNoMoon, 22 February 2020 - 10:17 PM.

• Starman27, aa5te, 17.5Dob and 5 others like this

#2 fmeschia

fmeschia

Apollo

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:26 PM

I think the main obstacle you’re facing is that IC 434 is mostly an H-alpha object, and your camera is unmodified. Your processing seems perfectly up to the task to me, but the data is not there.

In this other thread you can see my attempt at the same object from Bortle 7, but I was using a camera modified to let H-alpha pass through, and a light pollution filter.

• ThatsNoMoon likes this

#3 ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:48 PM

I think the main obstacle you’re facing is that IC 434 is mostly an H-alpha object, and your camera is unmodified. Your processing seems perfectly up to the task to me, but the data is not there.

In this other thread you can see my attempt at the same object from Bortle 7, but I was using a camera modified to let H-alpha pass through, and a light pollution filter.

Great point. I didn't even take that into consideration... you were able to bring out way more detail and color. I guess I need to plan my targets a little more carefully for broadband imaging. Thanks for your insight!

#4 fmeschia

fmeschia

Apollo

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:25 PM

You’re very welcome. For further reference, here’s another image of the same object, that I took while I was still using an unmodified DSLR:

39454377335_674d050059_c_d.jpg

In this case, I was shooting at f/6.5 and I had collected a total of 1.3 hours under a Bortle 4 sky. I think my unmodified-DSLR result was quite similar to yours, with the difference in integration times being most likely due to the different light pollution levels of the two sites.

Edited by fmeschia, 22 February 2020 - 11:26 PM.

• Starman27, Alen K and ThatsNoMoon like this

#5 Astro-Master

Astro-Master

Viking 1

• Loc: San Diego County,Ca.

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

I think its a beautiful image just the way it is, not overly done.

• ThatsNoMoon likes this

#6 vidrazor

vidrazor

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:47 AM

Using your image here, I derived a luminosity mask from the red channel using computatons in Photoshop to protect highlight and midtone nebulosity, then used it to increase the black while holding back the subtler data, followed by judicial use of a color dodge layer and I was able to get a somewhat more contrasty, detailed and saturated rendition. The full impact of this gets a little lost in these uploads.

I don't know if what I did is your cup of tea, but if so, try this with your full res file.

Attached Thumbnails

• horsehead mod.jpg

• ThatsNoMoon and sunnyday like this

#7 ThatsNoMoon

ThatsNoMoon

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:55 PM

Using your image here, I derived a luminosity mask from the red channel using computatons in Photoshop to protect highlight and midtone nebulosity, then used it to increase the black while holding back the subtler data, followed by judicial use of a color dodge layer and I was able to get a somewhat more contrasty, detailed and saturated rendition. The full impact of this gets a little lost in these uploads.

I don't know if what I did is your cup of tea, but if so, try this with your full res file.

That's a great technique!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics