•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

14 hours on m81 / m82 - My First Real AP!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PowerM3

PowerM3

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Hey guys, taking advantage of the clear weather we were blessed with the last few days I went out to a dark sky campground in Central Oregon with my family for 2 nights.

Anyhow on to the image. I used my SV80S LOMO triplet for the imaging instrument. I just added the ASI EFA on it. I was able to use N.I.N.A for full animation of image acquisition including autofocus. In a way it seemed like I was cheating as once the mount was polar aligned the software did everything! Camera used was my ASI 294MC Pro with the ASI OAG for guiding. Mount was a g11. This is 14 hours of data over two nights. I was taking 5min subs @ 120gain. I feel like this is probably my first image that deserves to be actually considered a decent AP result... LOL. At this point I feel like I have the data acquisition down but still have a lot to learn as far as processing. The hard part with this image processing was not having the cores of the galaxies get blown out when doing curve adjustments. Seems like there is a new challenge with every image! Interested in hearing the feedback of the AP gurus on any thoughts/suggestions:)

Attached Thumbnails

• M81M82-SV80S-14hrs.jpg

• Jim Waters, HaroldC3, John Rogers and 17 others like this

#2 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:04 AM

You might want to redo your PP.. I can easily pick up IFN all over the field in just 3 hrs total exposure from my Bortle 3 site. I think you clipped your black levels far too hard...

#3 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

I like that you can see a lot of detail when you zoom in.  And the intricacies of M82 are very intriguing. 

#4 PowerM3

PowerM3

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:05 AM

You might want to redo your PP.. I can easily pick up IFN all over the field in just 3 hrs total exposure from my Bortle 3 site. I think you clipped your black levels far too hard...

Thanks for the reply and recommendation. Just so that I understand correctly you re saying to not bring in the black level as much when doing the levels adjustments right?

#5 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:08 AM

I like it - Nice Job!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics