•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M27 processed with APP

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:59 AM

I went back and reprocessed my photo of M27 with a trail copy of APP to see what it could do.  This is a combo of 33x 60 second subs taken with a Canon 60D (FS Mod) @ISO-200 and my LX-90 OTA.  Its not bad, but i am finding that it is harder to get good images with APP than with my other astro program.  Trying to find the right settings to use is like trying to guess a color with your eyes closed.  Anyway, enjoy!

Attached Thumbnails

• M27.jpg

Edited by bignerdguy, 23 February 2020 - 01:00 AM.

• Starman27, John Gauvreau, mikewayne3 and 3 others like this

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:13 AM

What is your other program? I really like the very modestly priced StarTools. Here is my take on M27 using StarTools.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• M27.jpg

• Jeffrey C. likes this

#3 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

What is your other program? I really like the very modestly priced StarTools. Here is my take on M27 using StarTools.

Michael

I use MaximDL.  It lets me automate pretty much every step of the way, from controlling my scope, to taking and processing the photos. Its a little more user friendly too.  Still APP did a better job of reducing the stars to points rather than bloated smudges.  Guess i need to learn how to process better in MaximDL...

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Aurora

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

two very nice pictures, gentleman.

• bignerdguy likes this

#5 Alen K

Alen K

Apollo

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:11 AM

I went back and reprocessed my photo of M27 with a trail copy of APP to see what it could do.  This is a combo of 33x 60 second subs taken with a Canon 60D (FS Mod) @ISO-200 and my LX-90 OTA.  Its not bad, but i am finding that it is harder to get good images with APP than with my other astro program.  Trying to find the right settings to use is like trying to guess a color with your eyes closed.  Anyway, enjoy!

What kind of skies did you shoot in (Bortle/SQM)? And did you use the focal reducer? (From the image scale I assume you did.) I ask because I would have expected more nebula from 33 minutes of total exposure. For instance, compare this shot, which was only 8 minutes total through a 6-inch f/5 Schmidt-Newtonian (in Bortle 3 skies). Stock Pentax K-3II.

gallery_96203_4345_317934.jpg

Edited by Alen K, 24 February 2020 - 08:57 AM.

#6 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

What kind of skies did you shoot in (Bortle/SQM)? And did you use the focal reducer? (From the image scale I assume you did.) I ask because I would have expected more nebula from 33 minutes of total exposure. For instance, compare this shot, which was only 8 minutes total through a 6-inch f/5 Schmidt-Newtonian (in Bortle 3 skies). Stock Pentax K-3II.

Yes, i used a focal reducer but it appears to be the chinese made F/6.3 from Meade though not a true F/6.3.  I get around F/4.7 or so out of it and have to crop the image to reduce the football stars somewhat.  Keep in mnd i am still trying to figure out APP so it wasnt as good as an image i got from the same source files as the one processed with both MaximDL and Photoshop together. See below.

Attached Thumbnails

• M27-1.jpg

• Starman27 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics