•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Milky Way from Crux to NGC 3114: a portrait

dslr astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:00 AM

I read an article a few years back that claimed that the Milky Way was as as white as the "morning snow". Having seen firsthand the plane of the Milky Way in its entirety—and photographed much of it through my DSLR—the description completely understates the wide range of colors of our galactic neighborhood. Last night's take was a portrait centered between the Running Chicken Nebula and the Eta Carina Nebula, an area of the Centaurus arm rich in colorful stars and gases:

Crux_to_NGC3114S.jpg

Full size: https://www.cloudynights.com/gallery/sizes/89530-from-crux-to-ngc3114/large/

Capture details: https://www.cloudyni...rux-to-ngc3114/

Cheers,

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 24 February 2020 - 07:44 AM.

• Starman27, Calypte, Alen K and 10 others like this

#2 Lord Baltimore

Lord Baltimore

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sweden

Posted 23 February 2020 - 08:34 AM

Wonderful. Us northerners miss so much. Many thanks for this

#3 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:15 AM

Thanks to all for the feedback and likes!

The span of the Milky Way from the tail of the scorpion all the way to NGC 3114 is the brightest part of the galaxy. It is the Centaurus arm of the Milky Way, which attaches to the north side of the central bulge (to the north of the Great Sagittarius Star Cloud) and swings south between us and the core, only to swing directly away from us at Alpha Centauri and Crux. Unfortunately for observers in the Northern Hemisphere, almost the entirety of this part of the cosmic dance is south of -50˚ DEC—so always below the horizon to those at 40˚N latitude.

While I can provide vicarious glimpses into these delights, I would recommend to anyone with the means a trip south to see it firsthand. The central bulge passes directly through zenith on the Tropic of Capricorn and is a wonder to behold, especially under Bortle 1 skies…

BQ

#4 wxcloud

wxcloud

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:07 AM

Beautiful area! There is something special about wide angle milky way shots!

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:49 AM

Beautiful area! There is something special about wide angle milky way shots!

Agreed! My widest was a 120˚ shot through my 8-16mm Sigma, but my 50mm has surpassed the level of detail. This shot was at f/3.5, which gave me much rounder stars at the corners than at f/2.8. I might have to redo my mosaic of the core…

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics