•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Nexstar Proof of Concept remote controlled setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Skylab

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:13 PM

Well, I fully tested my proof of concept, remote controlled telescope last night. I first setup my Nexstar 8SE outside on my front walkway and let it cool down in the twilight air. Next, about an hour later, I went outside and powered everything up. Using a TalentCell 8.3ah battery to power the scope, SkySync GPS and Skyportal WiFi, connected the scope, via hand control bypass, to the mini computer sitting on the battery cover of the nexstar (using a cantilever design) and on the other side a MaxOak 50ah battery brick which of course evens out the weight distribution. I then turn on my HP laptop and sign in using RDP. I then turn on CPWI and then SharpCap 3.2 Pro. I set to the task of aligning the telescope using CPWI (I am getting StarSense as soon as my tax refund comes and a Celestron Focus Motor). It is a grueling 20 minutes out in the cold trying to align on 6 stars to get a good pointing model, but I persevere and get it done. Once I am sure I have good GoTo's, I take my laptop inside and proceed to plant myself on my living room couch amidst the warm air inside. For the next nearly 7 hours, I traipse amongst the stars of my limited tree infested view of the south western , eastern and zenith skies in search of some good targets to image.

I manage to image 13 Deepsky objects over the course of nearly 7 hours from 6:30pm until 1:15. I got some really nice images.

All in all, my proof of concept worked, to be able to sit indoors on a cold winter's night, basking in glorious warmth while my telescope suffers the cold outside.

Attached Thumbnails

• Stack_8frames_64s_M42.jpg
  • Nexstar 4.jpg

• roelb likes this

#2 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

That's some amazing work there - I'm impressed.., 

You might want to make a short video explaining the assembly overview and a walk through for at least the initial set up using your computer.., 

But you certainly did a great job here.., Congrats! 

Best.., 

skybsd 

#3 skaiser

skaiser

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: dallas Texas

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Nice planning and execution of your remote system.

you will love the starsense ease of use.

if you want to add a richer database of sky objects to “goto” you can link in SkySafari along with CPWI .

The setup is explained in this forum / topic area.

look for the “CPWI and starsense “  conversation in this group.(dated feb 20th”

good luck

• donstim likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics