•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion nebula - HDR

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

Tried doing an HDR image of the Orion nebula, to try to capture detail in the core, rather than the blown-out blob.

Nikon D7500

300mm zoom lens (at 300mm)

60 x 2 seconds - Image 1

20 x 60 seconds - Image 2

Orion-small.jpg

Higer resolution: https://pjpeake.smug...omy/i-kzM3RT3/A

• F.Meiresonne, Starman27, Jim Waters and 6 others like this

#2 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

Boy this one looks alot like mine. This is second  time in about one week ...

Attached Thumbnails

• M42_4 (Large).jpg

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 23 February 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#3 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:31 PM

Nice work! How long were your short exposures? I'm still working on my M42 project, hopefully the weather clears up and I can complete it tonight!

#4 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:49 PM

I had only 12 x 60 sec and about 7 darks. Actually that night M42 was not my target...it was M35 but that went not well..it was only because M42 turned up nicely i aimed for it...

Personnaly i find the core of M42 from the OP better ,mine is a bit overexposed....

OP image looks sharper too...focussing for me is a work in progress...

#5 PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

Nice work! How long were your short exposures? I'm still working on my M42 project, hopefully the weather clears up and I can complete it tonight!

Just like it says in the post :-)

Sixty two second exposures for the short exposure stack.

I was going to do less, but took a look at what I was getting at two seconds and decided it was noisy enough to warrant doing quite a few.

• zakry3323 likes this

#6 PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:53 PM

I had only 12 x 60 sec and about 7 darks. Actually that night M42 was not my target...it was M35 but that went not well..it was only because M42 turned up nicely i aimed for it...

Personnaly i find the core of M42 from the OP better ,mine is a bit overexposed....

OP image looks sharper too...focussing for me is a work in progress...

Ha! This sounds familiar. I was actually going to have a go at the HorseHead Nebula, but I know from past experience that it really needs relatively long exposures, and my guidescope connection started playing up, so I decided to switch to an easier target and go without guiding.

On focus -- invest in a good Bahtinov mask and a roll of Gaffer Tape. The mask makes focussing really easy, and a strip of tape over the focus ring stops any accidental movement ... as I know from experience ...

There are different masks out there. I eventually gave in and bought this one: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/sharpstar/

It's really expensive for what it is, but it works very well. Here is a not so good photo of what it looks like on my camera display:

mask.jpg

Edited by PhilipPeake, 23 February 2020 - 04:05 PM.

• F.Meiresonne likes this

#7 zakry3323

zakry3323

Apollo

• Loc: Pittsburgh

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:10 PM

Just like it says in the post :-)

Sorry about that, my brain glazed over :)

#8 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Ha! This sounds familiar. I was actually going to have a go at the HorseHead Nebula, but I know from past experience that it really needs relatively long exposures, and my guidescope connection started playing up, so I decided to switch to an easier target and go without guiding.

On focus -- invest in a good Bahtinov mask and a roll of Gaffer Tape. The mask makes focussing really easy, and a strip of tape over the focus ring stops any accidental movement ... as I know from experience ...

There are different masks out there. I eventually gave in and bought this one: https://www.lonelyspeck.com/sharpstar/

It's really expensive for what it is, but it works very well. Here is a not so good photo of what it looks like on my camera display:

attachicon.gifmask.jpg

I have one, but the spikes are difficult to see. Only tried it twice....but weather has been so bad lately and some family circumstances made that i could not experiment further with it ...

I am new to AP as still experimenting and working out some procedures and working methods...

#9 PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:58 PM

Yes, I have a cheaper one, with a few slots cut into a plastic disc. It sort of works. This one much better.

#10 PhilipPeake

PhilipPeake

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

Did a bit more tweaking to see if I could pull out more detail.

Best to look at it in my gallery rather than as a low-res image here:

https://pjpeake.smug...omy/i-4W9XgJq/A

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics