•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SGP is messed up//. cannot platesolv. lost license status

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lowry_pt

lowry_pt

Lift Off

• topic starter
  • Loc: South of Indianapolis, IN

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:32 PM

anyone else?  three of us cannot platesolv.  it finds the target but then.  wont correct the mount to move to it..

and  2 of us have reverted to the lite version.

would love to hear feedback.  cannot find anything about it in sgp forums

Dawn

#2 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:38 PM

I have ditched platesolve 2 now in favour of ASTAP its much quicker and does a much better job 

SGP supports ASTAP from the menu

https://www.hnsky.org/astap.htm

download the installer and G17 star database.

Just use the default directory for ASTAP it wants from the installer

in the platesolve menu of the equipment profile in SGP select ASTAP from the drop down

You can remove and reissue licence from your Main Sequence Software profile 

Cheers

Simon  

#3 dawziecat

dawziecat

Gemini

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:52 PM

Sorry I cannot help with the OP's difficulty. It is almost certainly a configuration problem.

I upgraded just a few sessions ago from v.169 all the way to v.451. No problems. Last night I upgraded again to v. 454. All went well.

As for ASTAP vs PS2. 

Yes, ASTAP is significantly faster . . . BUT . . .

On my system, to get ASTAP to work at all, I had to go from 3X3 to 2X2 binning on my plate solve images. My camera is a slow downloader and I lost an appreciable amount of the gain ASTAP offers over PS2 in going from 3X3 to 2X2.

Still ASTAP, even with the 2X2 images is about 33% faster than PS2 with 3X3 binning.

So, I'm sticking with ASTAP. Had two sessions with it and it's going well. 

#4 ew22

ew22

Explorer 1

Posted 23 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

Hello

imdontmknowmhowmit could be a confignproblem if the same things happen to many of us independently. And the confit has not changed. I had the same problem for last 2 nights. Once it went away for one target but was black later. No changes have been made to confign

#5 ZL4PLM

ZL4PLM

Vendor - ZWO Product Dev Team Member

• Vendors
  • Loc: Darfield, New Zealand

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:11 PM

Sorry I cannot help with the OP's difficulty. It is almost certainly a configuration problem.

I upgraded just a few sessions ago from v.169 all the way to v.451. No problems. Last night I upgraded again to v. 454. All went well.

As for ASTAP vs PS2. 

Yes, ASTAP is significantly faster . . . BUT . . .

On my system, to get ASTAP to work at all, I had to go from 3X3 to 2X2 binning on my plate solve images. My camera is a slow downloader and I lost an appreciable amount of the gain ASTAP offers over PS2 in going from 3X3 to 2X2.

Still ASTAP, even with the 2X2 images is about 33% faster than PS2 with 3X3 binning.

So, I'm sticking with ASTAP. Had two sessions with it and it's going well. 

at least 6 nights now using ASTAP not one failed PS where PS 2 would have been a problem 

bin 1 x 1 on my refractors and even with NB filters in place still solves within  2-3 secs

now my go to PS package :) 

• OldManSky likes this

#6 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Cosmos

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

The original post presents two problems.

The easier is about going back to “lite” version. This happens if you have not paid the license fee after a while.

Has your trial time expired? If so, pay for the program or write the developers and ask for an extension.

The bigger problem is lack of platesolving. The discussion so far about switching to Astap is not really an issue. Both Astap and Platesolve 2 work well. So, let us not get distracted by that side discussion

Besides, it appears “platesolve” is working. You say it finds the target but does not move the scope. If the platesolve routine has identified the center of the image, it has worked. What has failed is “centering.”

You can change to Astap or stay with platesolve2. It’s immaterial if either correctly identifies the coordinates. But if the scope subsequently does not move to the proper coordinates, you need to look at mount mechanics or the ascom connection to the mount.

What does your program do after it reports the location of the image?

And what do you mean “three of us?”

Alex

#7 StephenW

StephenW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:59 PM

@Dawn - are you saying that you had a fully paid up licenses but lost them?  Or did you just have the trial version?

SGP will revert to the "lite" version once your free trial period ends and if you choose not to purchase a license.

And the lite version does not support plate solving  (https://mainsequence...ts/SGProCompare)

#8 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

Before we all dismiss this issue based on own experiences--I have used SGP's platesolving for years without an issue. 

Recently however, I *did* have an issue (there's a thread on it). We never really got to the bottom of it--I thought it was a dual ZWO camera problem, but that was debunked. It stayed a mystery. 

Based on that thread though, I switched to ASTAP from Platesolve2. 

ASTAP worked well a few times. Then on one time, instead of just starting sequence and having SGP slew/center and tell me to rotate, I decided (I forget why) to slew and center. ASTAP did that like a champ. Object centered. Took a shot, it was right there.

Now, I started the sequence. SGP attempted to plate-solve again (it was *right on target*). FAILURE!!! It then went to blind solve failover, which, thankfully, solved.

So yes, there's an issue. I think it was introduced in the beta-made-main line merges. It's intermittent, weird, and (if it happens after a meridian flip when you are sleeping) *VERY* annoying. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics