•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Az baby vs TS-Optics MINi AZ

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Helium90

Helium90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Italy

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:18 PM

Hi to all...friends! :) I want to buy a new Az mount for travel..... i want your opinions about Az Baby by Omegon, and the TS-Optics MINi AZ..the prices and the max load are similar...which of the 2 you recommend? The Ts permit to mount an additional bar for use a counterweight,....can i mount it on the AZ Baby too???

#2 DLuders

DLuders

Gemini

• Loc: Spokane, WA

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:30 PM

The  € 106.90 Omegon AZ Baby has a "Max. additional load capacity" of 4 kg (8.8 lbs).  The  £179.95  ( € 215.32)   TS Optics Mini AZ mount can supposedly handle up to 8 kg (17.6 lbs.).  Both take a 3/8" Tripod Screw.

What exactly do you want to mount on the mount, and what does it weigh?   

#3 jarolym

jarolym

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

I remember reading somewhere that a counterweight bar can be screwed into the tightening knob on AZ baby, but the thread has a not-so-usual pitch. I don't remember the dimensions though, you'd have to ask astroshop/omegon.

#4 Helium90

Helium90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:20 AM

https://www.teleskop...sausgleich.html I mean this ....can i attack it to the az baby? thanks to all for answers! :)

#5 Helium90

Helium90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:23 AM

8 kg are possible with the counterweight bar....but without? 4?

https://www.teleskop...to-tripods.html this is the same but without counterweight bar? 

#6 jarolym

jarolym

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 February 2020 - 07:46 AM

1. yes, you should be able to attach it (it's a vixen dovetail bar to vixen clamp)

2. yes, it should be the same.

However, as far as I understand, this doesn't eliminate the excentric load on the azimuth axis, as the counterweight rod would do.

I think Altair Astro sells the TS optics setup with the counterweight for azimuth.

#7 Helium90

Helium90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:44 AM

I remember reading somewhere that a counterweight bar can be screwed into the tightening knob on AZ baby, but the thread has a not-so-usual pitch. I don't remember the dimensions though, you'd have to ask astroshop/omegon.

Thanks....astroshop expert say me that it's not possible..the thread have no funcion...confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif  how it's possible????

#8 Helium90

Helium90

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 02 March 2020 - 01:38 PM

Thanks....astroshop expert say me that it's not possible..the thread have no funcion...confused1.gif confused1.gif confused1.gif  how it's possible????

#9 Usquebae

Usquebae

Viking 1

• Loc: 43° N, 73° W

Posted 02 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

I just received the TS-Optics AZT6 with L-bracket last week, which seems to be one of your options.  To avoid confusion, this is a link to exactly what I purchased:

https://www.teleskop...re-Viewing.html

First light was a fantastic success for me.  Naturally, I went straight to the maximum load I had intended to use: 120mm F/5 achro, 2" diagonal and 14mm Meade xwa.  This balanced perfectly with 11 lbs of counterweight.  I found altitude action very smooth and damping times very short (at only 43x, mind you).  The azimuth was a sticky but I'm hoping some extra lubricant can help that.  I was able to get finer control by using two hands (left hand outstretched onto the counterweight bar, right hand on the diagonal).

I was using this on the Manfrotto 028B with first leg sections extended and the center column nearly all the way raised (I was standing).

I also loaded this scope with a 1.25" diagonal, binoviewer and plossl pair, which required only 7 lbs of counterweight.  By then clouds had arrived, so no viewing yet with that setup.

My experience with this mount is limited so far, but think I may have finally found sky-sweeping nirvana.  I would like to get my C6 on it for a test of how high I can push the magnification on this mount.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics