•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LRGB Horsehead and Flame Nebulas

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:34 PM

Here is my 1st attempt at LRGB Horsehead and Flame Nebulas, B33 and NGC 2024, from my suburban Louisville, KY backyard.  It was shot with my ASI183mm-Pro and ZWO 36mm Premium RGB filters, using my Esprit 100 with the TSAPORED075 FF/FR at 413mm, f/4.13.   Processed with PixInsight.

Lum           30sec x   226

R               60sec x    95

G               60sec x    95

B               60sec x    96

I got 3 straight clear/dark nights, Thu-Sat, after almost no good skies for a couple of months. It is a little late in the season for these targets, as I had only about 40min pre-meridian, after sunset, and 2 hours post-meridian, before target rotated into my house's roof.  I would have liked another night to get some Ha, but weather is going to get bad starting tonight.

I notice that my bottom left corner is dark purple; is that correct?

Also, Alnitak is a nasty bright beast.  I tried to mask my AS stretch, but I got rings, so I did AS straight up (several passes) followed by MS and HT.  Is there a good post-processing strategy for Alnitak?

HH_RGB (LoRes).JPG

• F.Meiresonne, Jim Waters, Hypoxic and 10 others like this

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Vanguard

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:15 PM

Beast is a good description.  You can see the double star, which is a sign of good processing.  Looking through my old pictures, I could not any find purple in the area of the flame Nebula.

#3 PhotonHunter1

PhotonHunter1

Viking 1

• Loc: Northwest Suburbs of Chicago

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

Amp glow? Light flare from the “beast?” Or stray light entering your optical path?

• SilverLitz likes this

#4 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:41 PM

this photo gives us precise detail. well done .

• SilverLitz likes this

#5 SilverLitz

SilverLitz

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisville, KY

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

Amp glow? Light flare from the “beast?” Or stray light entering your optical path?

I do not see any residual amp glow.  The "beast's" large halo causes some purple coloration in the upper part of the Flame.  The dark purple I was referring to is in very bottom-left corner, which to me (though a newbie) seems more like gradient color.  I have done DBE.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics