•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Observing site in Topanga Canyon or Santa Monica

observing
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 spottisw

spottisw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:18 PM

Hi so helpful CNers,

I have found that LP is too bad here in Beverly Hills (AKA Heavenly Bills :-)) to get Starsense to align.  Not surprising as visually I can only usually see 2-4 stars.  Better conditions are to be found I suspect in Topanga Canyon or at the beach in Santa Monica.  However I am concerned about safety.  Observing from the beach in a parking lot off of PCH or on a dark road in the Topanga Canyon area doesn't look too sensible, particularly when one is alone.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

James

#2 santafe retiree

santafe retiree

Viking 1

Posted 23 February 2020 - 06:58 PM

Contact your local astro vendor, Woodland Hills Telescope - they are at the foot of Topanga Canyon off the 101 - I am sure they can assist you

#3 ReneF

ReneF

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 23 February 2020 - 07:34 PM

I am searching for about the same thing. I live in Westlake Village, which is north of the Santa Monica Mountains. At this point I am learning to use my astrophotography gear in my back yard.  But, as soon as daylight savings time starts, and we get a little warmer weather, I will seek out alternatives.  I have the same concerns about safety that you seem to have. I have a few options on my list to check out. One is Malibu Creek State Park on Las Virgenes road. They charge an access fee, but I have a free pass to all state parks.  I am thinking of renting a camp site, but not camping, just using it until I am done, pack up and go home. The light pollution there, according to the published information, is far better than at my home. I have also camped at Mugu state park, further up the PCH.  They have campsites and day use similar to Malibu Creek. Not sure how good the seeing conditions might be close to the ocean.  A little further down the coast, there is a parking lot next to Point Mugu Naval Air Station but public access to the beach a short distance away.  It is not as safe as a state park, but being next to a military base calms my nerves. The address is 6859 Arnold Road Oxnard, CA 93033. Then a little farther down the coast is Point Hueneme Pier, which is open all night.  Next to the pear is public parking.  Have not tried it, but it is on my list. Also there are several local parks near my home, in good neighborhoods which I want to try out. One is Sapwi Trails Community Park, on the intersection of Westlake Blvd and Los Arboles.  An extremely safe neighborhood. There is a left turn into the park from Westlake Blvd, which leads to a radio controlled glider launching pad built by the City.  There is a large parking lot next to that pad.  It is empty at nigh.  But it is surrounded by a neighborhood of homes.  Not sure how much light pollution is there, but it is easy to get to for me, good parking, public restrooms, and as safe as can be.  Let me know what you find out.  If I test any of these sites I will post what happened.   

#4 spottisw

spottisw

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 February 2020 - 10:00 PM

Hi ReneF,

Thanks for your detailed reply.  Yes it looks like we have very similar goals and concerns.  I'd be happy to hear your reports on the sites you mentioned.  Meanwhile, I have a friend who lives about 10 miles north of Malibu who reports on good skies and lives behind a gate!  So although she's a 45 minute drive from here that may be the best bet.  Some of the places you mention like Mugu are further still and therefore less attractive.  

I don't think being concerned about being on a beach parking lot or a remote road in Topanga is uncalled for.  After all having set up one's gear one is pretty much immobile if threatening people come by.  Shame - but that's where we seem to be.

Best - James

#5 7howie7

7howie7

Explorer 1

• Loc: El Segundo CA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:43 PM

Hi so helpful CNers,

I have found that LP is too bad here in Beverly Hills (AKA Heavenly Bills :-)) to get Starsense to align.  Not surprising as visually I can only usually see 2-4 stars.  Better conditions are to be found I suspect in Topanga Canyon or at the beach in Santa Monica.  However I am concerned about safety.  Observing from the beach in a parking lot off of PCH or on a dark road in the Topanga Canyon area doesn't look too sensible, particularly when one is alone.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Many thanks in advance,

James

Hi, I am just south of you by LAX. I did read never take your scope to the beach with the wind and sand.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics