•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miyauchi x37 e/p and 1.25" filters

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 sftonkin

sftonkin

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 21 April 2004 - 01:18 AM

Last night, while cutting decent (PE) foam for my binocular case, I made a serendipitous discovery: my Lumicon UHC filter is a very snug fit in the rubber eyecup of the Miyauchi x37 eyepiece. As can be expected in such situations, MVN was at a maximum, so I couldn't try it out in vivo, but I am hopeful.

Yes, I know it's the wrong side of the eyepiece, with the associated problems of being in the wrong part of the light cone and vulnerable to whatever species of gunge infests my eyelashes, but prior experience shows that such filters are usable on the "wrong side" (I always used to "flash" them there with a telescope e/p to get an idea of how useful they might be on a particular bit of the sky). Now, with M97 at upper culmination in the early evening, one must pray for clear skies before the Moon gets intrusive...

Anyone else tried this?

#2 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:17 PM

Stephen,

I've held my Orion Ultrablock filter in front of the eypiece of both my 15x70 Oberwerk and 16x70 Fujinon to improve the view of M16-M17. It performs very well this way and allows changing the whole perspective of the nebula. Tried it on tyhe Rosette, but to no avail. IIRC, this technique worked pretty well on the Veil Neb and the North America Neb as well.

edz

#3 Chris_H

Chris_H

Aurora

Posted 21 April 2004 - 03:10 PM

Ed, did you try this on the 20x80 as well? I thought I might try and fit a Lumicon UHC on one side...

#4 EdZ

EdZ

Professor EdZ

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:19 AM

Don't recall that I ever have.

edz

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics