•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another whats the best moun tquestion?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 starguru

starguru

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:59 AM

Yesterday I posted a question detailing my plan to get a SV SVX102 refractor.  The plan was to buy the SV MC2 mount, paired with the Nexus encoder system so I had a decent push-to setup for visual.  That post specifically asked about which eyepieces to buy.

But...

If I did want to try imaging and a goto system, what are the pros and cons of the following, which I've garnered from doing research on these boards.

Avalon branded scope -- there are so many to choose from...

Paramount MyT

AP Mach1

I was intrigued by the Rainbow Astro RST135 as it is so light.

And it's possible Im going overboard here -- I've read a lot about the CEM60 and the EQ6Pro, but these seem significantly heavier and while I read many positive things, people definitely have bad experiences with them.

I basically want a light system that has room for expansion if I ever want to try something more than the 4" refractor.  I guess if I were to do imaging, I would run everything through an ASI Air Pro (Im a Mac guy), so the only real requirement for suggestions is that the mount be compatible with that system.  

Thanks for any advice!

Edit, just realized my crappy spelling in the title -- apologies, I can't find a way to edit the title.

Edited by starguru, 24 February 2020 - 09:00 AM.

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:06 AM

What are you thinking of spending?

Michael

#3 starguru

starguru

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

What are you thinking of spending?

Michael

I'll spend what it takes if any premium is justified in significant reduction in hassle or weight.

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:52 AM

You should quantify how light has to be for now, and how large plan to go in the near future.
Anyway, Hobym's Crux 170 at 5kg is rather light, and its payload is very good.
Vixen SXP2 could be another interesting option if want to travel light and a more conventional design.
  • starguru likes this

#5 SimonIRE

SimonIRE

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: South East England

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:55 AM

If the funds allow and you are certain you want to go premium, consider a 10 Micron 1000 HPS.

If you are based in Europe and the funds allow, definitely consider this...

Edited by SimonIRE, 24 February 2020 - 10:56 AM.

• psandelle and Whichwayisnorth like this

#6 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

Yesterday I posted a question detailing my plan to get a SV SVX102 refractor.  The plan was to buy the SV MC2 mount, paired with the Nexus encoder system so I had a decent push-to setup for visual.  That post specifically asked about which eyepieces to buy.

But...

If I did want to try imaging and a goto system, what are the pros and cons of the following, which I've garnered from doing research on these boards.

Avalon branded scope -- there are so many to choose from...

Paramount MyT

AP Mach1

I was intrigued by the Rainbow Astro RST135 as it is so light.

And it's possible Im going overboard here -- I've read a lot about the CEM60 and the EQ6Pro, but these seem significantly heavier and while I read many positive things, people definitely have bad experiences with them.

I basically want a light system that has room for expansion if I ever want to try something more than the 4" refractor.  I guess if I were to do imaging, I would run everything through an ASI Air Pro (Im a Mac guy), so the only real requirement for suggestions is that the mount be compatible with that system.  

Thanks for any advice!

Edit, just realized my crappy spelling in the title -- apologies, I can't find a way to edit the title.

It depends on your priorities. If you're going light as your main defining characteristic, then the Rainbow (I've used), the Crux (I haven't used), or the Avalon M-Zero (I've used) are the way to go. I have my preference for the M-Zero...but there have been discussions about that on another thread. If you go heavier, then the premium mounts like the 10Micron (my favorite mount so far), AP (I've used), Software Bisque (I've used), etc. can't be beat. Lot of people are getting great results from the non-EC CEM60, and I'm reviewing an iOptron GEM45 as we speak (and it's plenty light and has all the bells and whistles, but can't say anything else about it). Kinda depends on your priorities.

Paul

• SimonIRE likes this

#7 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

If the funds allow and you are certain you want to go premium, consider a 10 Micron 1000 HPS.

If you are based in Europe and the funds allow, definitely consider this...

I own an AP mount, but I would regard 10 Micron a (very) valid option regardless of which side of the Atlantic you are.., 

Best.., 

skybsd 

Edited by skybsd, 24 February 2020 - 11:19 AM.

• psandelle and SimonIRE like this

#8 starguru

starguru

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:06 PM

You should quantify how light has to be for now, and how large plan to go in the near future.
Anyway, Hobym's Crux 170 at 5kg is rather light, and its payload is very good.
Vixen SXP2 could be another interesting option if want to travel light and a more conventional design.

You are right of course, but it's hard for me to say having never done this before.  I like the idea of having a mount with absurdly low weight, but I wonder what I'm giving up to get that.   That Vixen is on sale now for $4300; hows the software and control system?  Will it work with the ASI Air?

Edited by starguru, 24 February 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#9 starguru

starguru

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

It depends on your priorities. If you're going light as your main defining characteristic, then the Rainbow (I've used), the Crux (I haven't used), or the Avalon M-Zero (I've used) are the way to go. I have my preference for the M-Zero...but there have been discussions about that on another thread. If you go heavier, then the premium mounts like the 10Micron (my favorite mount so far), AP (I've used), Software Bisque (I've used), etc. can't be beat. Lot of people are getting great results from the non-EC CEM60, and I'm reviewing an iOptron GEM45 as we speak (and it's plenty light and has all the bells and whistles, but can't say anything else about it). Kinda depends on your priorities.

Paul

There is a Rainbow 150h that seems to avoid a lot of the issues that people complain about in the 135h -- any thoughts on that?  Regarding the M-Zero, I've seen that people have issues with their gear running into the back part of the mount head, not sure if thats a real issue or could easily be fixed with risers.  The 10Micron at 43 pounds just for the head would probably be too heavy, and the price is probably not what I would feel comfortable spending.

The GEM45's payload is 45 pounds, so it seems like for imaging I wouldn't have too much room to grow using the standard 50% of the rated capacity for imaging guidelines...unless that doesn't apply -- Also, it's much less $$ than the rest which is appealing.  I know that the CEM60 (which is the mount I was originally considering) has both very satisfied and very unsatisfied users, which is a bit concerning.  

Thanks for the insights though.

#10 starguru

starguru

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

I own an AP mount, but I would regard 10 Micron a (very) valid option regardless of which side of the Atlantic you are.., 

Best.., 

skybsd 

In the US.

#11 psandelle

psandelle

Gemini

• Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

There is a Rainbow 150h that seems to avoid a lot of the issues that people complain about in the 135h -- any thoughts on that?  Regarding the M-Zero, I've seen that people have issues with their gear running into the back part of the mount head, not sure if thats a real issue or could easily be fixed with risers.  The 10Micron at 43 pounds just for the head would probably be too heavy, and the price is probably not what I would feel comfortable spending.

The GEM45's payload is 45 pounds, so it seems like for imaging I wouldn't have too much room to grow using the standard 50% of the rated capacity for imaging guidelines...unless that doesn't apply -- Also, it's much less $$ than the rest which is appealing.  I know that the CEM60 (which is the mount I was originally considering) has both very satisfied and very unsatisfied users, which is a bit concerning.  

Thanks for the insights though.

Rainbow 150 is pretty much the 135 with different motors, so, same difficulties I found (but more expensive for no real gain in payload).Anyone who has their gear running into the back of the mount head on the M-Zero isn't setting it up right. That's user error, and NEVER happens. There are some scopes that won't go meridian-flip free (longer ones), but that's easy to figure, and, again, there are MULTIPLE ways to set up the M-Zero (or M-Uno, the bigger brother), and one just chooses the right configuration for the scope. No problem on the 10Micron; it is spendy! iOptrons don't have the same QC as premium mounts (of which I consider the Avalons), so you will get some hit-and-misses, but if you like the CEM60, the GEM45 (or CEM40) are smaller/lighter versions and give you the same general performance (maybe a little better, as they're newer). Again, for the price-point you will get some lemons (and you ALWAYS hear about the bad ones, but rarely about the good ones on CN), but I've (knock-on-wood)  always had good luck with iOptrons, and tend to recommend them, given that the buyer is aware of the variables, and it fits their needs (like being cheaper and somewhat lighter).

Paul

Edited by psandelle, 24 February 2020 - 12:25 PM.

#12 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

Hello, 

In the US.

My point is, that provided it does meet your requirements, being in the US does not really matter in deciding to get a 10 Micron mount ==> you can have every confidence of getting a mount that does what it is designed to do and just works., 

Hope that helps.. 

Best.., 

skybsd 

#13 Lola Bruce

Lola Bruce

Apollo

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 24 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

I have the Losmandy GM8 it's nice, light and well made. I would not rate it high for imaging and a portly 120mm would be about it's upper ideal.

I also have a Losmandy G11. Very nice, well made, pretty, good for imaging, and killer support. This is the tinkerer's mount, easy to work on and all the parts available. Hundreds have complained about small things but many thousand of us use them for imaging and viewing daily.

My Astro-Physics Mach 1 is my best. Pretty, super well made, killer for imaging or just plain viewing. The mount just works, if you set it up without any brain farts. Like Losmandy has great manufacturers support. Down side is it is more than twice the price of a G11. If you do not want to tinker with the mount and have deep pockets I highly recommend this mount. The newer ones like mine with wi/fi, a RAPAS ( right angle polar alignment scope), and spring loaded worm gears are even better.

Bruce

• psandelle, rkaufmann87 and starguru like this

#14 Hesiod

Hesiod

Soyuz

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:30 PM

You are right of course, but it's hard for me to say having never done this before. I like the idea of having a mount with absurdly low weight, but I wonder what I'm giving up to get that. That Vixen is on sale now for $4300; hows the software and control system? Will it work with the ASI Air?

The software is excellent.
The HC is quite large because it features a detailed star chart and well spaced buttons, easy to use with heavy gloves too.
As long as plan to use a DSLR/mirrorless I would suggest, rather than asiair, to get the lacerta mgen3.
I have the sxd2 and the mgen2 (which has been just replaced by the 3) and am very pleased by its reliability, performances and portability.
The Crux sounds more attractive but I am not soo much into AP; besides, the built in map makes the Starbook TEN equipped mount extremely funny (and effective) for visual as well: I do not need to link sktsafari/etc... to the mount because it can already do the same thing.

If are not in hurry may be worth to see if the Astrotrac 360 will be released: according to tbe specs it may be one of the most travel-friendly mounts with decent payload

#15 starguru

starguru

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:14 AM

I have the Losmandy GM8 it's nice, light and well made. I would not rate it high for imaging and a portly 120mm would be about it's upper ideal.

I also have a Losmandy G11. Very nice, well made, pretty, good for imaging, and killer support. This is the tinkerer's mount, easy to work on and all the parts available. Hundreds have complained about small things but many thousand of us use them for imaging and viewing daily.

My Astro-Physics Mach 1 is my best. Pretty, super well made, killer for imaging or just plain viewing. The mount just works, if you set it up without any brain farts. Like Losmandy has great manufacturers support. Down side is it is more than twice the price of a G11. If you do not want to tinker with the mount and have deep pockets I highly recommend this mount. The newer ones like mine with wi/fi, a RAPAS ( right angle polar alignment scope), and spring loaded worm gears are even better.

Bruce

Would the Mach1 work with an ASI Air Pro?  I've read their ASCOM API is a bit behind but didn't do extensive research?

#16 MHamburg

MHamburg

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:09 AM

I went from a new CGEM to a gently used AP900 and it is worth every penny! AP is a company that actually communicates no matter which of their mounts you have or whether you bought new or used from another party. This is a mount that takes the worry out of imaging. So, I recommend looking at used premium mounts to get the best value.

Michael

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics