•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Custom park position CEM60

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 12:35 PM

I made the rookie mistake of building my little telescope shed without allowing for growth. My new ES127 just barely fits in the closed-up shed, but it requires a custom parking position, quite off from the 4 preset parking positions and not close to zero position. I can't seem to make it work. It's not critical - I have to manually close up anyway so I can always manually move the mount to the desired position. It would just be more convenient if it parked where I want it to.

Joe

#2 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 24 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

Joe, I'm pretty sure you don't use Voyager, but in Voyager you could add a command to the DragScript to send your telescope to a specific alt-az location. (Among other very handy uses that is good for getting SkyFlats as well).

In fact you could use the unlicensed version of Voyager (which has no expiration and has a 1 hour use limitation), to do this and only this if you so chose.

#3 Biggen

Biggen

Ranger 4

• Loc: PCB, FL

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

I made the rookie mistake of building my little telescope shed without allowing for growth. My new ES127 just barely fits in the closed-up shed, but it requires a custom parking position, quite off from the 4 preset parking positions and not close to zero position. I can't seem to make it work. It's not critical - I have to manually close up anyway so I can always manually move the mount to the desired position. It would just be more convenient if it parked where I want it to.

Joe

How are you using the mount?  With the handset or Commander program?

If its like my IEQ 30Pro you should be able to set a custom parking position in Commander.  Does it give you the choice to use "current" as the new parking position?

Edited by Biggen, 24 February 2020 - 02:58 PM.

#4 Jii

Jii

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pirkkala, Finland

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

If its like my IEQ 30Pro you should be able to set a custom parking position in Commander.  Does it give you the choice to use "current" as the new parking position?

I tried customer parking position from Commander with my CEM60 few weeks back when I was trying to figure out good place for flatlight in my shed. Custom position worked OK for me, as far as it was not under horizon (which was what I was after, bummer...).

#5 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

Thanks for getting back to me guys.

I tried customer parking position from Commander with my CEM60 few weeks back when I was trying to figure out good place for flatlight in my shed. Custom position worked OK for me, as far as it was not under horizon (which was what I was after, bummer...).

Yep. That's my problem. I need a position below the horizon. It seems to take it, but when I park the scope it goes to my previous park position.

I'm using the HC to set the park position, but when imaging (SGP) I use Commander. Right now I'm just using the HC to try to get the park position I want. It does give me the option of "current position" but it doesn't seem to work - when I park (using HC) it goes to a previously-stored position. I think the problem has to do with altitude limit. I've got to figure that out.

Joe

Edited by Astrola72, 24 February 2020 - 03:51 PM.

#6 Astrola72

Astrola72

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

Well, it wasn't Altitude limit. I set that to -89 and overrode the dire warnings, but still no go. That's using park=current position. I can't figure out how to get a negative Alt in the custom park position. No big deal - I've marked the spots on my mount and I'll just move the mount to the parking position manually. It won't technically be parked but that really doesn't matter for now.

Joe

• Jii likes this

#7 Jii

Jii

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pirkkala, Finland

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

Well, it wasn't Altitude limit. I set that to -89 and overrode the dire warnings, but still no go. That's using park=current position. I can't figure out how to get a negative Alt in the custom park position. No big deal - I've marked the spots on my mount and I'll just move the mount to the parking position manually. It won't technically be parked but that really doesn't matter for now.

Joe

rgsalinger had same behavior with his CEM120, must be a common limitation for iOptron:

https://www.cloudyni...s-in/?p=9925822

In my case I don't luckily have to park the scope permanently under horizon, it just would have been convenient option for taking flats. I think that as a workaround I will move to scope to correct Alt-Az position via APT, turn tracking off, take flats and then park it properly. I haven't tried this yet, but in principle it should work. You could check if similar operation would be possible via SGP.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics