•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Still struggling with Mars...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:12 PM

I'm not depressed lol.gif - Mars is still very tiny & we've had very poor seeing each time we've gone out...coupled with the realisation as to why we don't do a lot of these "just before sunrise" sessions: we take several days to get back to normal afterwards & we're also not getting any younger! gramps.gif

I've been burning up a lot of the few gray cells left every day working on 2 scopes & building a new secondary assembly for one, boggling my mind with offsets, cutting & measuring holders etc squarely & how best to assemble everything...not to mention all the gardening chores we have atm with fruit trees cropping etc, etc.

Anyway, not up to what we'd wish for but that's out of our control - folks like Mark look like they've had a bit better weather...or maybe I am getting too old - this morning the old eyes weren't too good tbh! frown.gif

Picked up some cloud activity in 2 Mars captures before we realised the sky was being engulfed in clouds...well, all but Jove in the east: a pity, because we only realised this when focusing for the 3rd Mars capture, so I swung quickly to Jove but even as we homed in on focus (with some nice contrast displayed, albeit much lower in elevation the Mars) the clouds started to dim the onscreen image. frown.gif

C'est la vie...apart from what appears to be plenty of cloud activity in this morning's image, the ir610nm capture from 2 mornings earlier was the best as far as resolution is concerned - not that it was anything to get excited about. lol.gif

Still, it is very early days & I'm pretty sure Jove (& even Saturn) will be more rewarding before Mars starts to reveal any real detail - well, that's the hope for us at least..! fingerscrossed.gif

mars2020-02-24_19-40_rgb_dpm.png

mars2020-02-22_19-48_rgb_dpm.png

• Sunspot, PrestonE, troyt and 14 others like this

#2 Tyson M

Tyson M

Skylab

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

Awesome images! Nice to see Mars and full of detail. 

#3 Lacaille

Lacaille

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canberra

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:27 AM

Excellent work Darryl despite your slightly despondent note! Clouds over Olympus visible etc. When you look at the shots here on CN of the lunar occultation of Mars, you realise how tiny it still is, and it is a real achievement to show details like this, I feel.

I find the early starts - 330 or 4 am - also leave me very spaced out, as if from jet-lag.  Only a few years ago, I was in the workforce, catching very early planes all too frequently. I now wonder about my frame of mind during those years. What decisions did I take while the balance of my mind was disturbed?

Re Jupiter and Saturn, I took some videos of both on the 23rd and found what I have noticed last year - the quality of Jupiter was nowhere near as good as the live feed suggested, and Saturn, lower in altitiude, was slightly better. Neither was worth posting I fear!

Anyway, chin up and keep battling on!

Mark

#4 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: The most light-polluted country in the world :(

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:21 AM

I find the early starts - 330 or 4 am - also leave me very spaced out, as if from jet-lag.

Glad I'm not the only one! Lol

Good on you Darryl for getting out there!
  • Lacaille likes this

#5 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:39 AM

................What decisions did I take while the balance of my mind was disturbed?

Mark

Struth Mark - I wonder about those sorts of things constantly..! rofl2.gif

Despite my denials, I think I was feeling slightly depressed today when I posted these images - depressed as in a bit of a funk from tiredness & disturbed sleep patterns: I managed a couple of hours of extra sleep late this afternoon & woke up feeling even worse, but as the night goes on I'm starting to feel better & I find after 2 or 3 days of normal, unbroken sleep I'm back to my normal self - that is, just tired! lol.gif

With Mars so tiny & this particular perspective not having very much in the way of features to focus on, it is more challenging: apart from the work I mentioned above I cleaned my filter wheel & the MM camera's sensor glass the other day also, the first clean it has had since Sam kindly replaced the 290 & 224 last year when the old ones developed some problems. I'll clean the MC in the next few days also & am finding all these other activities instead of imaging a refreshing change...

Good to see you back on the forum Darren also - & hope to see some of your own fine images as the year goes on! waytogo.gif

Thank you to everyone for the kind "likes."

• Lacaille likes this

#6 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:46 PM

Thanks Darryl - hoping to be back at it soon! Just waiting for my body to fully heal after some recent maintenance lol.

• Lacaille likes this

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Good to hear bro - the issue of tiredness (apart from age shakecane.gif :lol: ) is as much to do with the fact that I rarely get more than a couple of hours sleep before getting up at 4:30am or so for these sessions...it is really hard when you know the alarm is going to go off then...& I'm a fitful sleeper a lot of the time! 

#8 John_K

John_K

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:43 AM

Don't loose heart Darryl,

The planets are looking great before sunrise and it will be a great year for planetary imaging from the Southern Hemisphere. 

As long as there are no dust storms on Mars and the seeing co-operates a great year ahead! 

Still early in my mind - Mars does not get bigger than 10" until June and Jupiter is not more than 40" until May.

Plenty of time yet.

Clear skies.

John K.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:45 AM

I think I've been burning the candles at both ends a bit too much lately John, working on various scopes...but hoping to visit Natimuk again this year - not from a Mars perspective, but we enjoyed a few very good nights with Jove & Saturn there last year & really enjoyed the region around also. waytogo.gif

Too long in the tooth to consider your rock-climbing activities :lol: but there's plenty of walks to go on there & it's nice country. :) 

#10 John_K

John_K

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:39 PM

I think I've been burning the candles at both ends a bit too much lately John, working on various scopes...but hoping to visit Natimuk again this year - not from a Mars perspective, but we enjoyed a few very good nights with Jove & Saturn there last year & really enjoyed the region around also. waytogo.gif

Too long in the tooth to consider your rock-climbing activities lol.gif but there's plenty of walks to go on there & it's nice country. smile.gif

Darryl - let’s plan a joint imaging session of Mars, Jupiter and Saturn this coming winter - the Natimuk Lake caravan park might be the spot for it - imaging at night and rock climbing during the day sounds like a great weekend in my mind!

• John Boudreau likes this

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:29 AM

Sounds a definite possibility John - perhaps we could get Andrew (Tulloch) to come up also if it's a long weekend: not sure or your own schedule but the Queen's Birthday is June 8th in Victoria & that's only around 5 weeks before both Saturn & Jove's oppositions.....

For us it's very early to lock in anything atm & a lot could happen in the meantime, but if we touch base again when it gets a bit nearer - & the weather forecasts are good for that weekend - it could be a goer: Lake Natimuk C.P. is a good place even if the lake's been empty for years. lol.gif

I don't know how your own free time pans out but something around opposition (6 weeks either side is pretty good imo) would be best & longer than just the nights over that long weekend would mean better chances of favourable weather...but for us that isn't a real issue because we're retired & can come over early & leave later to get a better chance with the weather... wink.gif

But think about it for awhile - maybe another time in that 12 week period is more suitable for you - & if you read this Andrew you might like to think about it: no swinging from rocks for us I have to repeat...but you folks can do any trapezing you like on cliff faces while we go for walks & drives around the district if it all comes together..!

ps: School holidays in Vic. start on 27th June & finish on 12th July - I don't think that's a great time as there could be quite a lot of people around at that  time...

Edited by Kokatha man, 28 February 2020 - 02:31 AM.

• John Boudreau and Tulloch like this

#12 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: South Central Florida

Posted 28 February 2020 - 09:32 AM

Remember Darryl et al, Mars can be a tricky ochre rock; be patient bros even in Florida "seeing" at times can be less than perfect.  lol.gif  

#13 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:34 PM

Remember Darryl et al, Mars can be a tricky ochre rock; be patient bros even in Florida "seeing" at times can be less than perfect.  lol.gif  

Yes - I think I've just been trying to do a bit too much lately Jeff...why I've taken on so much work I have no idea, but getting a wisdom tooth pulled out 2 days ago has really knocked me for a six on top of everything - hopefully I'll bounce back as that little ochre rock grows during the year! fingerscrossed.giflol.gif

Got your email address.

#14 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:05 PM

Yes - I think I've just been trying to do a bit too much lately Jeff...why I've taken on so much work I have no idea, but getting a wisdom tooth pulled out 2 days ago has really knocked me for a six on top of everything - hopefully I'll bounce back as that little ochre rock grows during the year! fingerscrossed.giflol.gif

Got your email address.

Yowie, wisdom teeth, ouch.  Hey, I still have one after all these years.  I have had dentures for 40 years since the Air Force dentists practiced on me in my youth my teeth later caused problems.

Looks like your seeing is not up to par.  I lost track of the large Mars appears. 5.4" is a bit small, huh?  I miss observing it.  Last week Dan Joyce, the guy who made my 16" mirror, and his friend stopped by to visit.  They were on their way to the Florida Keys for a big star party and he always stops in to see us.  He wants my scope -- all 745 pounds of it :)

We talked about all the old friends we had; the ones that are gone.  With no one to yak about and observe Mars, I lost interest.       

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:33 PM

Yowie, wisdom teeth, ouch.  Hey, I still have one after all these years.  I have had dentures for 40 years since the Air Force dentists practiced on me in my youth my teeth later caused problems.

Looks like your seeing is not up to par.  I lost track of the large Mars appears. 5.4" is a bit small, huh?  I miss observing it.  Last week Dan Joyce, the guy who made my 16" mirror, and his friend stopped by to visit.  They were on their way to the Florida Keys for a big star party and he always stops in to see us.  He wants my scope -- all 745 pounds of it smile.gif

We talked about all the old friends we had; the ones that are gone.  With no one to yak about and observe Mars, I lost interest.       

...I'm not up to par either Jeff! lol.gif

This tooth came out sideways partly because the wasn't one in front of it to "guide" it - I did wonder about a back tooth coming out of the side of my gum these last few years lol.gif - & I was getting some grief in the gum behind it: dentist told me that the jawbone had disintergrated around it due to infection & the only thing was an extraction...

I read about you fellas catching up when they were coming down - are you selling it to him..?

#16 John_K

John_K

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:07 PM

Sounds a definite possibility John - perhaps we could get Andrew (Tulloch) to come up also if it's a long weekend: not sure or your own schedule but the Queen's Birthday is June 8th in Victoria & that's only around 5 weeks before both Saturn & Jove's oppositions.....

For us it's very early to lock in anything atm & a lot could happen in the meantime, but if we touch base again when it gets a bit nearer - & the weather forecasts are good for that weekend - it could be a goer: Lake Natimuk C.P. is a good place even if the lake's been empty for years. lol.gif

I don't know how your own free time pans out but something around opposition (6 weeks either side is pretty good imo) would be best & longer than just the nights over that long weekend would mean better chances of favourable weather...but for us that isn't a real issue because we're retired & can come over early & leave later to get a better chance with the weather... wink.gif

But think about it for awhile - maybe another time in that 12 week period is more suitable for you - & if you read this Andrew you might like to think about it: no swinging from rocks for us I have to repeat...but you folks can do any trapezing you like on cliff faces while we go for walks & drives around the district if it all comes together..!

ps: School holidays in Vic. start on 27th June & finish on 12th July - I don't think that's a great time as there could be quite a lot of people around at that  time...

Would say the first week of September is a better option for me - Mars is greater nearly at 20" with 6 weeks before opposition and Jupiter is 43.5". So we get the option to image both. All seeing/weather depended off course! 

Perhaps we can put the word out and have a Planetary Imaging camp with people from the SE of Oz.

• Tulloch likes this

#17 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

Would say the first week of September is a better option for me - Mars is greater nearly at 20" with 6 weeks before opposition and Jupiter is 43.5". So we get the option to image both. All seeing/weather depended off course! 

Perhaps we can put the word out and have a Planetary Imaging camp with people from the SE of Oz.

Sounds like a plan, if you don't mind a beginner hanging around and asking a lot of dumb questions ... 

Got to be back back by late September though, to see the Tigers win another flag!woohoo.gif

Andrew

#18 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:09 PM

Sounds like a plan, if you don't mind a beginner hanging around and asking a lot of dumb questions ... 

Got to be back back by late September though, to see the Tigers win another flag!woohoo.gif

Andrew

Andrew "there is no such thing as a dump question" just learning experiences - that's what I call it anyway. lol.gif   

• Tulloch likes this

#19 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 28 February 2020 - 11:56 PM

Well if I wasn't homesick already, I sure am now! lol

#20 DMach

DMach

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

Andrew "there is no such thing as a dump question" just learning experiences - that's what I call it anyway. lol.gif

My high school physics teacher had a different take: "there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid answers" he used to say!
  • troyt and Tulloch like this

#21 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 29 February 2020 - 06:40 AM

Well, Darryl, I’m not sure if it will be a sale or donation.  He wants it for a school up near Chicago, IL so it will be a great place for it.  It served me well for many years and paid for its self many times over.  Don Parker donated his scopes to a college in north Florida, so that is a good thing to do.  How does one place a value on a telescope one makes?

Mars was too bright in it anyway.  I still have my 12.5"

Edited by Jeff B1, 29 February 2020 - 06:43 AM.

#22 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:22 PM

Andrew

September is a long way away still...as I said above, Mars wasn't really on my agenda in any trip to Natimuk, mainly because (using 5th September as an example) then Mars will be almost 20" (actually 19.6") but only 47° there - even at one of our regular "haunts" in South Oz it's 53° & we were thinking of a trip further north to get it at around 60° for perhaps a "last hurrah!" before it sinks into the mire for longer than we might be able to wait for till the next roundabout's ability for us to comfortably image...due to our age..! gramps.gif shrug.gif lol.gif

But there's nothing definite in all this, lots of "depends" to consider apart from the aforementioned & the way we normally move around a couple of trips to Natimuk wouldn't be unusual either: Andrew, I wouldn't have anything against talking until the cows come home about thoughts on imaging, anytime - as long as I didn't have to hear about **** Richmond FC..! rofl2.gif

Well, Darryl, I’m not sure if it will be a sale or donation.  He wants it for a school up near Chicago, IL so it will be a great place for it.  It served me well for many years and paid for its self many times over.  Don Parker donated his scopes to a college in north Florida, so that is a good thing to do.  How does one place a value on a telescope one makes?

Mars was too bright in it anyway.  I still have my 12.5"

lol.gif With all the stuff I hear about Florida skies I'm sure that big scope was great whenever you got the seeing to crank that ep magnification right up through the roof Jeff!

I appreciate what you say about donating it though - is it just my failing memory or did you come from Chicago way originally..?

Funny little aside - we had a suburb of Adelaide called Chicago way back in the early days but they changed it to something else I can't remember...no codes in either place in those days & overseas letters bound for Illinois or South Australia kept on going to the wrong place...Chicago was much bigger, a city in itself so (as my memory kicks in!) our Chicago became Kilburn. wink.gif

• Tulloch likes this

#23 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 01 March 2020 - 08:12 AM

No Darryl, I was raised up in Tennessee where hillbillies come from. I grew up and became a Blues and Rock guitar player, then traveled a bit until that life got old and joined the U.S Air Force where they made me grow up and pushed me into engineering, so to travel the world. smile.gif

Dan Joyce and “the Chicago gang,” as we called them would meet up with “the Florida gang,” as they called us, at various astro-events or star parties, along with many other worldly travelers and have fun with telescopes.  Now that most of them, and us, are gone to the big observatory in the sky it is just us few to visit with now and then. 

It was the dastardly ALPO that made us do it, forcing similar minds together for similar thinking.laugh.gif

#24 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:03 PM

No Darryl, I was raised up in Tennessee where hillbillies come from. I grew up and became a Blues and Rock guitar player, then traveled a bit until that life got old and joined the U.S Air Force where they made me grow up and pushed me into engineering, so to travel the world. smile.gif

Dan Joyce and “the Chicago gang,” as we called them would meet up with “the Florida gang,” as they called us, at various astro-events or star parties, along with many other worldly travelers and have fun with telescopes.  Now that most of them, and us, are gone to the big observatory in the sky it is just us few to visit with now and then. 

It was the dastardly ALPO that made us do it, forcing similar minds together for similar thinking.laugh.gif

I remember now Jeff - I've heard about hillbillies banjodance.gif but I don't think I heard about your Blues & Rock stage..! band2.sml.gif   Quite a few musos or ex-musos on CN from what I gather...wonder why..? hmm.gif

#25 Jeff B1

Jeff B1

Mercury-Atlas

• -----

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:08 PM

I remember now Jeff - I've heard about hillbillies banjodance.gif but I don't think I heard about your Blues & Rock stage..! band2.sml.gif   Quite a few musos or ex-musos on CN from what I gather...wonder why..? hmm.gif

Read all about it mate flowerred.gif    https://dustymars.ne...g//My_Music.pdf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics