•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leo Triplet w/AT65EDQ

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Atlanta-ish, GA

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:23 PM

I finally got some clear skies to work with for the first time in ages this weekend! The conditions were really nice here on Friday evening, and I got to run out to the country for some dark(er) skies as well which was really nice. Everything went really smoothly too: setup was smooth, got my best polar alignment ever, and guiding was great (which makes sense I guess). It was all good until I forgot to remove the focusing mask during the middle of the run which caused me to throw away about 2 1/2 hours of exposure time. blush.gif  Some day I'm just gonna process the heck out of a bunch of bahtinov mask subs and post it just to see what the reaction is! 

Anyway, here's what I was left with after the mishap. Feedback is welcome!

M65, M66, NGC3628 - The Leo Triplet (center crop to highlight the galaxies)

Camera: Canon T5i (modded)

Scope: AstroTech AT65EDQ @ f/6.5

Mount: iOptron CEM25P

Exposures: 2 hours of 28 minute auto-guided 240 second subs at 800 ISO

bias, flats, and darks

Software: BackyardEOS, AstroTortilla, Astro Pixel Processor, Photoshop

Full size image: https://photos.googl...nBMS2pJQzBSME1B

St-avg-8882.0s-LNMWC_1_3.0_none-x_2.0_LZ3-NS-ref-qua-add-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RL-noMBB_1stLNC_it2-lpc-cbg-NoSt-postable.jpg

• HaroldC3, mikewayne3, elmiko and 17 others like this

#2 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: San Diego

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:51 PM

nice.  And that is not supposed to be a galaxy instrument. 

• Scott Mitchell likes this

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:57 PM

very beautiful, can you tell me which are the two very bright stars near the center and the other more to the left.
thank you.

#4 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

very beautiful, can you tell me which are the two very bright stars near the center and the other more to the left.
thank you.

sunnyday, the brightest one in the image, to the left of M65, is HIP 55262. I can't find catalog numbers for any of the other relatively bright stars.

• sunnyday likes this

#5 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

Nice result, and especially for such a small scope! Well done!

#6 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Nice result, and especially for such a small scope! Well done!

Thanks Kevin! I've been really happy with this scope in general other than some struggles with star shape (which is pretty common with this one). I do want to try going back to at M66 with a larger scope to see what kind of detail I can get out of it. It's just sort of a tease in this image. :)

#7 DrGomer

DrGomer

Mariner 2

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

very nice!  the only significant recommendation I'd make would be more integration time. Not that most of the image needs it, but you are missing out on the faint tidal tail of NCG 3628 ( on the left in your image) and a bit of the spiral arms on NGC 3627 (bottom right). I'm only familiar with it because I'm also imaging these and am currently at ~22hrs. The features were present long before 22hrs, but I'm trying to go lower noise which is all a personal preference.  Depends on how many clear nights you have in the end ;P

#8 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:09 AM

Love it. Great Job.

#9 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:15 PM

very nice! the only significant recommendation I'd make would be more integration time. Not that most of the image needs it, but you are missing out on the faint tidal tail of NCG 3628 ( on the left in your image) and a bit of the spiral arms on NGC 3627 (bottom right). I'm only familiar with it because I'm also imaging these and am currently at ~22hrs. The features were present long before 22hrs, but I'm trying to go lower noise which is all a personal preference. Depends on how many clear nights you have in the end ;P

Totally agree this needs much more time. That made the loss of 2.5 hours that night particularly painful. Of course, we're back to non-stop clouds again. So, I'll j have to see if I'll get another chance. It will be interesting to see what, if any, progress I can make on this target from home as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 Scott Mitchell

Scott Mitchell

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 01 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

Since there haven't been more opportunities to collect more data, I just keep reprocessing what I have. Is this better or worse than the original? I've tried to preserve more of the vibrancy in the colors in this version, but I'm honestly too close to it at this point to have an objective opinion.

St-avg-8882.0s-AR_LN_8.0_4.0_8-x_1.0_LZ3-NS-ref-qua-mult-sc_BWMV_nor-AAD-RE-noMBB_1stLNC_it3-lpc-cbg-NoSt-postable.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics