•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SW Esprit 80ED or 120 help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sam K

Sam K

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:01 PM

Hi All,  just getting back into backyard astronomy and going to venture into AP (despite all of the trials and tribulations).  Have C9.25 for visual on an EQ6-R. Have a chance at a used SW Esprit 80ED for about $1,500 or the 120 for $2,500 (CDN).  New to AP my inclination is the smaller, lighter and perhaps more forgiving scope...not to mention would have some left over $ to purchase a few of the other necessary accessories...but wondering if the $2,500 for the 120 is just too good to pass up?  Would be happy to have feedback.

Thanks!

Sam

#2 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:27 PM

I own both and selling both. 80 will be easier to learn with because of the shorter focal length. Less demanding. That said I used the 120 much more because imaging scale and targets were more intersting to me at that focal length.

Tim.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:33 PM

Hi All,  just getting back into backyard astronomy and going to venture into AP (despite all of the trials and tribulations).  Have C9.25 for visual on an EQ6-R. Have a chance at a used SW Esprit 80ED for about $1,500 or the 120 for $2,500 (CDN).  New to AP my inclination is the smaller, lighter and perhaps more forgiving scope...not to mention would have some left over $ to purchase a few of the other necessary accessories...but wondering if the $2,500 for the 120 is just too good to pass up?  Would be happy to have feedback.

Thanks!

Sam

Feedback.  The 80, and it's not a close call.  You'd be amazed by the difference in difficulty in learning DSO AP.  It's quite unintuitive.  If you get the "bargain" 120, you'll more than repay the savings in wasted time and frustration.

The 80 is the right tool for that task (learning DSO AP), the 120 is the wrong one.  Once you've gotten the basic skills down, and have done some good images, that's the time to consider something bigger.  Unless you're a masochist.  <smile>

Nothing will inform future decisions like actual experience.  Think months, not weeks.  This is a complicated business.

How complicated?  There's a _lot_ more to learn than you can get from short posts here.  I recommend this well regarded book.

https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/0999470906

Further point.  The 80 Esprit is a great scope.  You can learn with it and retain it as your "forever" scope for big targets (which also make learning easier).  But something a lot cheaper would work fine for learning.  The key is short, light, and fast.

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 February 2020 - 11:37 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Sam K like this

#4 Sam K

Sam K

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

Gentlemen,  thank you for your feedback.  Appreciate your responses.  Bobzeq25...ordered the book today. 

Cheers!

Sam

#5 Tim

Tim

Viking 1

• Loc: Kitchener, Ontario

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

Gentlemen,  thank you for your feedback.  Appreciate your responses.  Bobzeq25...ordered the book today. 

Cheers!

Sam

excellent book I have first and second edition enjoy..

• bobzeq25 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics