•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New book “Luna Cognita”

• Please log in to reply
241 replies to this topic

#226 Napp

Napp

Gemini

• Moderators
  • Loc: Northeast Florida, USA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:16 PM

I agree with John above.  The books are high quality.

#227 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:52 PM

yeah, I concur too.    the bindings are not as nice as classic stitched books, but nothing is made that way anymore.  the net result is, the book won't open quite as flat as older books would.

top, an older book (published by Willmann Bell circa 2012), and Luna Cognita is on the bottom.

i-Z9HLkvT-X3.jpg

Edited by pierce, 10 January 2021 - 02:54 PM.

• dpastern and Charles B. like this

#228 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Columbus, OH, USA

Posted 15 January 2021 - 11:31 AM

I placed my order via Amazon on January 8th, and it arrived only moments ago, January 15th, via UPS. The box arrived in surprisingly-good condition, and I took some time to capture the unboxing for those that may be interested.

NTyDcJT.jpg

4OtMX4e.jpg

evP5wvp.jpg

wa0A9bN.jpg

FGfj3nL.jpg

I don't know what the objects is that's under the paper attached to the inside of the front cover, but you can see a triangular impression in the following image. It's missing from the rear cover. It's not present within the covers of the second and third volumes.

YY60KlV.jpg

4CslD3z.jpg

Volume 1 weighs in at 2,210 grams, according to my Amazon Basics kitchen scale.

XENhPph.jpg

Volume 2 weighs in at 1,989 grams.

3cFN3vG.jpg

Volume 3 weighs in at 2,174 grams.

iXEoZbE.jpg

Overall, the books are beautiful. The books are hefty, the information appears to be quite dense, and there is a plethora of images to break up the abundance of text. 

I have extremely limited knowledge of our lunar companion, so I am looking forward to becoming more acquainted as I progress though these books, which may take a couple of years.

Edited by nickkohrn, 15 January 2021 - 11:32 AM.

• desertstars, dswtan, dpastern and 3 others like this

#229 frank5817

frank5817

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Mesa, Arizona

Posted 15 January 2021 - 01:59 PM

The triangle on the inside of the front cover looks like a piece of tape or paper that should have been removed but wasn't.

I have looked through two sets of books so far and have not seen that.

#230 BradFran

BradFran

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

Secret government tracer... they're tracking you!  lol.gif

• desertstars, okiestarman56, dpastern and 2 others like this

#231 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 15 January 2021 - 02:10 PM

Secret government tracer... they're tracking you!  lol.gif

The government will be disappointed when they see it move only a few feet between my bookshelf and lounge chair. Haha

• desertstars, John Gauvreau and BFaucett like this

#232 BradFran

BradFran

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Villingen-Schwenningen, Germany

Posted 02 February 2021 - 07:50 AM

Christmas came late this year, mine just showed up! Very nice books crammed full of information. Overwhelming really. Wow, too heavy for my bookshelf! They feel like undergrad physics or chemistry textbooks... real back-breakers. lol.gif

Now if I could see the moon again sometime this year...

Edited by BradFran, 02 February 2021 - 07:51 AM.

• desertstars, Charles B. and BFaucett like this

#233 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:58 PM

They feel like undergrad physics or chemistry textbooks... real back-breakers. lol.gif

Now if I could see the moon again sometime this year...

I gave up sitting in a chair to read these. Using a table, with the first volume (it's not a fast read) propped up in front of me. Worth the trouble.

Wait... "see the moon"? You mean, there is such a thing? This isn't a work of fiction?

wink.gif

• BFaucett and BradFran like this

#234 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:29 AM

wow, price on Amazon has jumped to AUD $232...glad I got mine just before Christmas when I did now.  Still at my US postal address, waiting to ship it to Australia and will leave my thoughts once I've had a chance to look at it directly.

#235 janame

janame

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 01 April 2021 - 04:36 PM

In case anybody missed the last sale (me, by a day!), Springer is running a 40% off sale on all Physics and Astronomy books through April 8th.  Luna Cognita works out to be $53.99 shipped.

Details here: https://www.springer...?token=P2yhG32t

• pierce and Faber like this

#236 RobertJ

RobertJ

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Israel

Posted 07 April 2021 - 07:59 AM

Any opinions on getting this as an eBook vs a physical book?

Do you use this in the field as a reference or is it a "sit back in a comfy chair" kind of book?

Thanks!

• nickkohrn likes this

#237 nickkohrn

nickkohrn

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:05 AM

Any opinions on getting this as an eBook vs a physical book?

Do you use this in the field as a reference or is it a "sit back in a comfy chair" kind of book?

Thanks!

Hey Robert,

The books are quite dense and heavy. It’s not likely to be a set of books that you’d want to carry with you. They are very dense with information, and I think they are best enjoyed within a comfortable environment in which you can set them on a table or other solid surface.

I chose to purchase the physical set because I enjoy physical books. I have many eBooks as well, but this is not a set that I, personally, would want in electronic form. However, if the electronic form is searchable, then you would be able to easily carry the entire set into the field and search for references while out.
  • BFaucett likes this

#238 alder1

alder1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: North Central Vermont, USA

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:53 AM

I’m with Nick here. A nice beverage, a comfy couch and Luna Cognita. Ah, bliss.
  • desertstars, BFaucett and nickkohrn like this

#239 Faber

Faber

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 07 April 2021 - 05:24 PM

Hi to everyone,
Ordered and downloaded the pdf copy of luna cognita.
Very interesting, a lot of info, the book it’s full searchable and very easy to navigate through different chapters.
A pdf of around 1.5 GB but readable without any delay in my MacBook Air of 2015.
I agree with people who feel necessary an easy to go high definition map to remember where lunar features are located.
In the meantime I amazed of all historical data and the huge bibliography used.
I’m happy to have bought the ebook version because I think I can enjoy better than an hardcopy.
Highly reccomended for any lunar enthusiastic!
Regards
  • BFaucett, Jsquared and nickkohrn like this

#240 nof

nof

Vostok 1

• Loc: Israel

Posted 31 May 2021 - 10:03 AM

Just got a set last week. Amazing books, price delivered was €45: that doesn't hardly cover the shipping cost of 6 kilos of books. This will be a collector's item, get it while you can. Practical and interesting, with tons of material.

• John Gauvreau, BFaucett and nickkohrn like this

#241 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:18 AM

After nearly a year of being given the run around by a couple of vendors, I finally got my copy. Springer had a 20 euro coupon back in April, so I jumped (after making sure they ship to Australia this time). Ended up getting it for far cheaper than I would've originally.  bounce.gif This really is everything one could ever want to know about the moon. Everything from history and observing with all sorts of historical maps and sketches, to eclipses for the next 1000 years, to lists of named features. The 3 volume set reminds me of the Millennium Star Atlas. 

ja4OSto.jpg

• dpastern, BFaucett and Tyson M like this

#242 dpastern

dpastern

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:32 AM

After nearly a year of being given the run around by a couple of vendors, I finally got my copy. Springer had a 20 euro coupon back in April, so I jumped (after making sure they ship to Australia this time). Ended up getting it for far cheaper than I would've originally.  bounce.gif This really is everything one could ever want to know about the moon. Everything from history and observing with all sorts of historical maps and sketches, to eclipses for the next 1000 years, to lists of named features. The 3 volume set reminds me of the Millennium Star Atlas. 

ja4OSto.jpg

congrats, well worth the wait imho!

• HellsKitchen likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics