•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New book “Luna Cognita”

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#51 RadioAstronomer

RadioAstronomer

Ranger 4

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:59 PM

For a short time Amazon (through a 3rd party seller) was selling the book set for $54.

Amazon pricing works in mysterious ways. Once I inquired about a book which I was considering buying for $35 which the next day went up to $170. The person on the Amazon helpdesk told me that they do not discuss their pricing policies. 

#52 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:28 PM

There was a discussion several years ago about the pricing algorithms that Amazon and/or third party sellers use. It was interesting. I don't remember the name of the book that started the discussion but I think it was a star atlas maybe the Herald-Bobroff Astroatlas "The Caldwell Objects" by Stephen J. O'Meara. It seems it was out of print and the pricing was outrageous, $800+ $7300.

Here is one of them if you want to see what may have happened to the Amazon pricing, Has Amazon Lost Its Mind? Started by Edward E, Sep 25 2012 11:45 AM. There are a few links within this discussion if you have time to follow them.

#53 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 23 March 2020 - 10:27 AM

This book sounds like the new gold standard for everything you want to know or could possibly want to know about the moon.

I ordered from Springer now. 

• RadioAstronomer and Jsquared like this

#54 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

Just got my copy from Springer.

In my opinion, this is an awesome tour de force and literally, a lifetime labor of devotion. Exceptionally well written, and even the historical background is compelling. 
....highly recommended to this forum.

stay well!!!!

• pierce, Charles B., BFaucett and 2 others like this

#55 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:20 PM

Just got my copy from Springer.

In my opinion, this is an awesome tour de force and literally, a lifetime labor of devotion. Exceptionally well written, and even the historical background is compelling. 
....highly recommended to this forum.

stay well!!!!

how is the quality of the printing, and the hardcover binding ?  are the numerous photos and drawings clearly legible ?

#56 DRohrman

DRohrman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 26 March 2020 - 05:17 PM

The print and photo quality are first rate. The three volumes are dense and heavy. A genuine reference work...taking you systematically night to night during the lunar calendar....a more detailed Photographic Atlas, by Chong, et al. Many, many photos...some slightly dated, but that isn’t a drawback given the immense period of time the author has taken to collate, assemble, write and edit the book. You can see lunar astrophotography evolve. I will use it with Moore’s alphabetized books and Rukl, my go to references, along with NASA LAC and other references online.

• Charles B. and Jsquared like this

#57 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Messenger

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:04 AM

Mine arrived yesterday from Springer. Was a little hesitant when ordering without seeing the quality, but very pleased with the quality! Excellent resource!!

-Mark

• Tyson M likes this

#58 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 27 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

Mine arrived yesterday from Springer. Was a little hesitant when ordering without seeing the quality, but very pleased with the quality! Excellent resource!!

-Mark

Good to know.  I wasnt sure with this COVID 19 pandemic that orders were still going out. 

#59 Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox

Messenger

• Loc: Charleston, South Carolina

Posted 28 March 2020 - 09:44 AM

Good to know.  I wasnt sure with this COVID 19 pandemic that orders were still going out. 

No problem there....I placed my order on the 16th and received it on the 26th.

-Mark

• Tyson M likes this

#60 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 31 March 2020 - 07:53 PM

It seems to be back on Amazon.  Just ordered mine for 89.99 with Prime Shipping on Saturday.  Yes...this is an expensive forum...

• BFaucett likes this

#61 Kunama

Kunama

Aussie at large

• Loc: Canberra, Australia

Posted 31 March 2020 - 10:36 PM

Mine arrived today but thanks to Amazon Prime's poor packaging, a few corners of the hardcovers were damaged..... C'est la vie.....

• Who puts three large books into a flimsy oversized box with nothing to stop them bouncing around while Fedex play 'bounce the parcel' undecided.gif

#62 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:56 PM

Mine was supposed to arrive yesterday. Delayed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#63 coopman

coopman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:10 PM

My copy was somehow delivered to someone in Newark, NJ two days ago.  The seller has sent out another copy to me. 

#64 nativebowman

nativebowman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 02 April 2020 - 11:57 PM

I tried to buy it from the publisher last week and website said it was not available. I bought the electronic version which is 1.3 gigibytes. I would recommend the book.

#65 nativebowman

nativebowman

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:02 AM

When did you purchase your book? I tried to purchase a hardcover copy from Amazon and the publisher and it was not available so I purchase the ebook. My purchase was made on March 21, 2020.

Edited by nativebowman, 03 April 2020 - 12:03 AM.

#66 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 12:40 AM

When did you purchase your book? I tried to purchase a hardcover copy from Amazon and the publisher and it was not available so I purchase the ebook. My purchase was made on March 21, 2020.

Make sure you are on the US Springer page, https://www.springer...k/9781493916634

Edited by pierce, 03 April 2020 - 01:20 AM.

• BFaucett and Tyson M like this

#67 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:58 PM

I purchased my set on March 13th for $54 through Amazon seller Allnewbooks.  I was notified by the seller that it was shipped on the 17th via DHL Global.  Got a notice a few days ago with a USPS tracking number.  The day before yesterday it was in New Jersey, yesterday it was in Georgia (still in DHL's possession). I'm in Alabama and am assuming at some point in the near future, it will be transferred to USPS so it can finally be delivered.    

#68 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 April 2020 - 05:56 PM

Got mine today. A day early actually. Only problem...its just volume 2.

From this one volume though, it looks like a very good book...

Edited by brentknight, 03 April 2020 - 05:57 PM.

#69 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 April 2020 - 06:19 PM

Got mine today. A day early actually. Only problem...its just volume 2.

From this one volume though, it looks like a very good book...

Did you order from Springer direct, or via a reseller?

• Tyson M likes this

#70 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 03 April 2020 - 08:40 PM

Did you order from Springer direct, or via a reseller?

Through Amazon.com Services LLC.

#71 RLawson

RLawson

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee

Posted 05 April 2020 - 05:32 AM

Ordered mine yesterday from Amazon. Scheduled to be delivered this Thursday. We will see.

• brentknight likes this

#72 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:23 AM

The only option I had with Amazon was to return the volume I have for exchange with all three volumes. They say it should be here 4/9. We will see...

#73 Splodger

Splodger

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bunratty, Ireland

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:32 AM

I purchased the digital edition from Springer and I'm delighted with it. It cost me $69.99 and I think it is worth every penny. I got the digital edition because i want to be able to use it in the field and because I'm in Ireland right now (usually reside in Oregon) and traveling with big books is a non starter. That said, I'm so enamored with it i'm going to get a hard copy when I get home.

In my opinion it is the best book about the moon to be written in modern history (I believe Ptomely wrote a rather good one). An accessible and incredible source of knowledge about our satellite. I'm not a book critic and I'm not one for writing long posts. I certainly have't got the time right now because I'm reading a fabulous book.

My advice is to get hold of it as soon as you can.

• BFaucett, Tyson M and Jsquared like this

#74 Mike McShan

Mike McShan

Explorer 1

• Loc: Oklahoma City

Posted 06 April 2020 - 12:05 PM

My copy arrived today after ordering it from Amazon last Friday.  The three volumes were individually shrink-wrapped and bundled together by heavy tape with a label that said "Three volume set - do not separate."  

I've certainly not had time to do much other that skim through it but my impression is that this set will be a must-have for anyone who is seriously interested in the moon.  The breathed of topics covered is truly impressive.  The coverage of scientific knowledge, cultural and historical aspects, and practical observing is extensive.  For example, there are chapters for observing each day of the lunar cycle.  The quality of the printing and illustrations are first rate.

This book was pricey but looks to be worth every penny,

Clear skies,

Mike 

• Swamp Fox, BFaucett, brentknight and 3 others like this

#75 Pat Rochford

Pat Rochford

Mariner 2

Posted 06 April 2020 - 08:43 PM

The three volumes were individually shrink-wrapped and bundled together by heavy tape with a label that said "Three volume set - do not separate."  

I've certainly not had time to do much other that skim through it but my impression is that this set will be a must-have for anyone who is seriously interested in the moon.  

And now you've told the world that you flagrantly disobeyed the instructions on the label.  What were you thinking?

If you peek out the window right now you'll notice a Prime van with darkened windows sitting in front of your house.  The dark silhouette moving around inside the van is Bezos.  And that red dot bouncing around your face … well, I just hope you thought it was worth the risk.  Good luck my friend. 

Edited by Pat Rochford, 06 April 2020 - 08:50 PM.

• Mike McShan and BradFran like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics