•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New book “Luna Cognita”

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#126 pierce

pierce

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Cruz, CA

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

they emailed me an acknowlegement with the barcode, so I just open that email on my phone directly before going in the store....

#127 Jesus Munoz

Jesus Munoz

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Corregidora, Qro. MÉXICO

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:45 PM

That's how I opted to return my book. I took a picture of the Amazon bar code with my phone, took the book to a UPS store, and the employee scanned the pic and took care of the rest. I was in and out of the UPS store in under a minute.

Yes, same process and I am an international buyer.  No problem returning the book.  

By the way, the price of the books today is $89.99.  If I receive only one book, I prefer to return to Amazon and buy directly from Springer.

#128 Herr Mario

Herr Mario

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southwest Ohio

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

....ordered mine thru Amazon Saturday...was delivered today-all 3 volumes....intact...grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifwaytogo.gif

• BFaucett likes this

#129 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:32 PM

<p>

Mine arrived today but thanks to Amazon Prime's poor packaging, a few corners of the hardcovers were damaged..... C'est la vie.....

• Who puts three large books into a flimsy oversized box with nothing to stop them bouncing around while Fedex play 'bounce the parcel' undecided.gif

Amazon's packing is terrible. I had ordered some NAS drives from them a few weeks ago. The drivers arrived in an oversized box with no protection other than some bubble wrap. Thankfully they seem fine, but...

On the other hand, I've ordered books from Willmann-Bell and they've arrived looking like they were packed to survive re-entry. 😂 It was genuinely hard to get the packaging off. I wish everyone packed like they do.
  • BFaucett likes this

#130 John Gauvreau

John Gauvreau

Astro Sensei

• Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:09 PM

My set of ‘Luna Cognita’ arrived today.  I purchased it based largely on the great remarks I read here (and also because I’m a junkie for cool astronomy books). 
Mine arrived in good shape, packed with about 10 air pillows.  
The books look amazing; it’s going to be a long and happy time working through them.  

• Douglas Matulis and BFaucett like this

#131 Douglas Matulis

Douglas Matulis

Vostok 1

Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:09 AM

Amazon's packing is terrible. I had ordered some NAS drives from them a few weeks ago. The drivers arrived in an oversized box with no protection other than some bubble wrap. Thankfully they seem fine, but...

On the other hand, I've ordered books from Willmann-Bell and they've arrived looking like they were packed to survive re-entry. It was genuinely hard to get the packaging off. I wish everyone packed like they do.

I know what you mean about Amazon's packing, seems always a corner on hardback books gets dinged in shipment from them.  However, for whatever reason, my copy of the 3 volume set gave incredibly well packed, books were pristine.  Maybe the packer was a moon guy too!

• John Gauvreau and BFaucett like this

#132 AstroVPK

AstroVPK

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sunnyvale, CA

Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

I know what you mean about Amazon's packing, seems always a corner on hardback books gets dinged in shipment from them.  However, for whatever reason, my copy of the 3 volume set gave incredibly well packed, books were pristine.  Maybe the packer was a moon guy too!

I'm expecting my set to arrive today - lets see if I get all three volumes and if they're undamaged.

• BFaucett likes this

#133 Andrekp

Andrekp

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 27 May 2020 - 02:12 PM

FWIW, unless you already know all this stuff (I mostly did not) it is very helpful to read the various chapters before and after the crater hopping chapters, that talk about the different kinds of lunar features and what they actually are.  It makes a lot of the tour text more interesting and useful. IMO.

• WStewart, Jesus Munoz, John Gauvreau and 2 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics