•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New book “Luna Cognita”

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#151 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:29 AM

Okay, then... Amazon it is.

#152 mjt24073

mjt24073

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:14 PM

Amazon sent me volume 2.  Waiting (and hoping) to see if they get it right on the second go-around now.  However, I’m glad I found this thread because this set was flying under my radar, and I can’t wait to dive into these books.  

• BFaucett and brentknight like this

#153 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 21 September 2020 - 08:56 AM

I took a chance that Amazon will get it right. It's great that they are so good about handling the mistakes that have been made, but if I have to jump through that hoop more than once, this work may not find its way to my bookshelf. And I have to admit that hearing of continued partial shipments does not leave me with a feeling of confidence.

#154 mjt24073

mjt24073

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:38 AM

Update:  Amazon just delivered the full three volume set (and a day early).  Looking through them, it was worth the wait.  It will take me a while to work my way through them, but definitely looking forward to it.  

For anyone looking to order a set, I’ll be hanging on to the lone volume 2 until the weekend (before I can get to a UPS store).  So hopefully that will keep any of you from getting that lone volume 2 (can’t help you if volume 1 & 3 are still floating around) lol.gif .

• desertstars, John Gauvreau, John_Moore and 1 other like this

#155 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:41 PM

Mike,

I had the same thing happen to me. (I posted about it earlier in this thread.) It was a little bit of a hassle but not a big deal to me. In my experience over the years, Amazon has been easy to work with concerning returns and replacements. 

And yes, I agree that it was worth the wait. I haven't delved deeply into these books yet but I'm very pleased with them. I think you'll enjoy them.

Cheers! Bob F. smile.gif

• mjt24073 and brentknight like this

#156 Jsquared

Jsquared

Ranger 4

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Duncan, Ok

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:52 PM

So how are all of you doing with the books ? Comments and discussion might make the thread more interesting !

#157 RocketScientist

RocketScientist

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Vermont

Posted 24 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

"Is there any really good modern lunar atlas?"

"21st Century Atlas of the Moon". $25 on Amazon.

I use Hatfield as my casual observing atlas, but definitely look into Wood's more modern atlas.

#158 cmas

cmas

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:04 AM

I did order this book from Amazon uk to Finland. It's apparently shipped from Italy warehouse. There, someone does not care at all:

First shipment: I got only vol 1. Complained about it, had to talk two sessions with Amazon with 3 customer service agents. The first customer service agent offered me 33% discount while 66% of the books were missing! I was amazed. Well, finally another agent, days later, told me that I can keep vol 1 and they will send vol 1-3 again.

Second shipment: This should have included vol 1-3. I only got vol 2. Again chatting with customer service. I linked them this CN discussion and also notified later Springer so that they would understand how badly Amazon is distributing their book.

Third shipment: Still waiting vol 3. It should arrive next Tue. I am not optimistic as it might turn out to be any volume as these seem to be shipped in random.

Vol 1 and 2 have also been inadequately packaged and corners of the books are slightly damaged. I don't care much about that because it is just cosmetics.

Bottom line: I highly recommend ordering directly from Springer. I have hard time understanding what on earth is going on at Amazon Italy warehouse. Seems like someone does not care at all. Amazon is typically super good but I don't know what's going on now.

That being said, the book looks good, is solid and well printed. Seems to contain a lot of info. There are some info about typical eyepieces and scopes etc. Looks comprehensive but requires a Moon atlas either in printed format of e.g. a virtual Moon atlas - I use the latter solution. Volumes weigh so much that this book set could be used as a proper counter weight, too :D
  • BFaucett likes this

#159 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Renmark, Australia

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:10 AM

I've ordered direct from Springer. More than 2 months and counting. Should I be worried? 

#160 BFaucett

BFaucett

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:44 AM

I've ordered direct from Springer. More than 2 months and counting. Should I be worried? 

I would be. I'd contact them.

Bob F. 

#161 cmas

cmas

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 September 2020 - 05:09 AM

Forgot:
As I'm reading this book, it's clear that it is awesome. Not just about day-to-day guide on what one is seeing but explanations on lunar geology and surface features, too. I'm reading about surface formations, looking at "Lunar map hd" (Android app), drinking coffee and really enjoying this "setup". Based on the limited reading so far, I'm learning a lot.

Edited by cmas, 25 September 2020 - 05:11 AM.

• Carl Kolchak, John Gauvreau, HellsKitchen and 1 other like this

#162 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 25 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

Well, it took two tries in my case, but I now have the full set. While it doesn't speak well of their warehouse employees generally that so many have experienced this partial shipment problem (I was going to point out that it happens nationwide, but apparently it's a global phenomenon smirk.gif ) I have to tip my cap to Amazon for how they handled solving the problem. I received volume one and immediately reported the problem on line. Downloaded the return code and opted for replacement. Returned the errant volume the next morning, and came home to see a shipping notice for the replacement. It arrived the next day (yesterday). 

Also yesterday, I threw out my back working in the garden. My wife had to bring the box in so I could open it. The books were too heavy for me to handle as a set. lol.gif

I'm recovered enough that I can unwrap them today. waytogo.gif

• Carl Kolchak, BFaucett and brentknight like this

#163 brentknight

brentknight

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 25 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

So how are all of you doing with the books ? Comments and discussion might make the thread more interesting !

I love the books, but it's almost too much information in them.  I feel like I'm holding the authors entire lifetime with the Moon in my hands...

• desertstars, Carl Kolchak, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#164 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 25 September 2020 - 04:21 PM

I love the books, but it's almost too much information in them.  I feel like I'm holding the authors entire lifetime with the Moon in my hands...

That's a good way to put it. I just now had a chance to go through them and I am, frankly, overwhelmed. These three books are a valuable addition to my astronomical library. That counts as an understatement.

I have some reading to do. cool.gif

• Carl Kolchak, BFaucett, brentknight and 1 other like this

#165 Tyson M

Tyson M

Aurora

• Loc: Canada

Posted 25 September 2020 - 11:28 PM

That's a good way to put it. I just now had a chance to go through them and I am, frankly, overwhelmed. These three books are a valuable addition to my astronomical library. That counts as an understatement.

I have some reading to do. cool.gif

Agreed. I opened the first interesting section and put it down after the first page.  It was then I realized it will take some time to digest even half of one book. 

Thankfully, some chapters are stuff I can largely ignore (gear related guides). lol.gif   

I plan to tackle some chapters here on my set of days off. 

• desertstars, BFaucett, brentknight and 1 other like this

#166 desertstars

desertstars

ISS

Posted 26 September 2020 - 08:26 AM

Thankfully, some chapters are stuff I can largely ignore (gear related guides). lol.gif   

The habit of publishers to automatically include such basics in every guide they publish does sometimes get ridiculous. But I've actually gotten into the habit of at least skimming through that sort of material, instead of skipping it outright. Now and then an author makes a point, comment, or suggestion that I never heard before. 

But with everything else there is in these books, I won't linger. I'm not that patient. wink.gif

#167 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 26 September 2020 - 09:27 PM

Well I contacted Springer about the whereabouts of my books, and I was told that the shipping company they use is not shipping to Australia because of covid. Basically they said "we are very sorry, we are unable to fulfill your order at this time". There is no time frame on when shipping will resume - just "when the situation allows". 

Any suggestions on where to go from here guys? I'm thinking of asking for a refund. 

mad.gif

#168 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 27 September 2020 - 08:30 AM

Well I contacted Springer about the whereabouts of my books, and I was told that the shipping company they use is not shipping to Australia because of covid. Basically they said "we are very sorry, we are unable to fulfill your order at this time". There is no time frame on when shipping will resume - just "when the situation allows". 

Any suggestions on where to go from here guys? I'm thinking of asking for a refund. 

mad.gif

WI’ll they ship by postal system?

#169 cmas

cmas

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 29 September 2020 - 11:38 PM

Finally got vol 3 from Amazon. It only took three separate shipments from Amazon to get the books to me. "Slight" adjustment required from Amazon UK to get things together concerning this book :D
  • BFaucett likes this

#170 DarkStar1984

DarkStar1984

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:33 AM

Just got my books from Springer.   Ordered them on 9/10/2020.  What a great collection and am looking forward to reviewing/using them.  No problems with the order.  On a personal note, trying to avoid purchasing from the "big fish" in the sea and going direct.

#171 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 September 2020 - 04:18 PM

I feel so cheated. They are shipping to countries with much bigger concentrations of coronavirus but not to Australia which is barely a blip as far as covid goes?

I am going to reply that they either ship immediately, or I will demand a refund. They had my money for nearly 3 months with nary a word from them about the situation. Absolute BS. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

#172 Oscar56

Oscar56

Apollo

• Loc: Okanagan, BC

Posted 30 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

I feel so cheated. They are shipping to countries with much bigger concentrations of coronavirus but not to Australia which is barely a blip as far as covid goes?

I am going to reply that they either ship immediately, or I will demand a refund. They had my money for nearly 3 months with nary a word from them about the situation. Absolute BS. mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

Could it be that Australia is refusing to accept packages from the US because of COVID?  That makes some sense. 

#173 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 30 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

No, Australia is accepting packages from the US, and besides, Springer is in Germany.

As I've said, the shipping company they use is not sending packages to Australia. Yet they seem to be sending to every other country it appears as this thread attests to.

I will be telling them to send the books immediately otherwise I will demand a refund.

Edited by HellsKitchen, 30 September 2020 - 10:34 PM.

#174 mikerepp

mikerepp

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Harwood Heights, Illinois, dark site Manistique, Michigan in UP

Posted 06 October 2020 - 08:02 AM

HellsKitchen can't you cancel and purchase thru Amazon? 

#175 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 07 October 2020 - 02:37 AM

HellsKitchen can't you cancel and purchase thru Amazon? 

I sent them an email, explaining my disappointment, and I told them to either ship it or give me a refund. Simple as that. Awaiting their reply with interest....

Edited by HellsKitchen, 07 October 2020 - 02:46 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics