•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

So have you gotten around to re-uploading your images back on Astrobin?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

I did a handful. but they are all on a seconday laptop.   I wonder if it will be one of those projects that just get procrastinated indefinitely.

My portfolio will never be the same. but that is okay too.

Attached Thumbnails

• ab.jpg

Edited by Ballyhoo, 24 February 2020 - 10:55 PM.

#2 pfile

pfile

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----

Posted 24 February 2020 - 10:57 PM

yes... i've done most of them. madratter's pixel dimension trick was the key to finding all my images on my hard disk. i have a few that i processed on my laptop that i have not uploaded and i didn't bother with all the revisions.

rob

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:27 PM

Slowly, and there's little doubt that I won't bother with the early stuff.  Or uploading any revisions, it will just be the final image.

I lost absolutely everything.

Edited by bobzeq25, 24 February 2020 - 11:55 PM.

• dswtan and NuclearRoy like this

#4 AstroEthan

AstroEthan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: San Antonio, Texas, United States

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:50 PM

Fortunately, I only lost my profile photo. The 490 of my images that "disappeared" came back after the mass thumbnail regeneration.

#5 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Traverse City, MI

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:41 AM

I've only uploaded the ones I care about, and none of the revisions, just the finals.

#6 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

Nope, not yet.  Maybe this week.

Of all the stuff that was deleted, my avatar is going to be the one that's going to be the most difficult to find.  It was taken at OSP, probably sometime before 2010, but I'm not sure which year it actually was.  Actually, it has to be before 2010, because I haven't a guide scope in longer than that...

• dswtan likes this

#7 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:40 AM

I have now replaced everything I am aware of that was deleted. That includes both my public and staging area.

I did lose one image in the staging area that I had to recreate from the original sub.

And I lost one image in the staging area I'm simply not going to bother to recreate. I uploaded an image saying it was lost. I could probably recreate that one if I really needed to put there is little point since I uploaded a new image of the same object just a few days later.

All told, this was not a fun exercise, but out of 280+ images losing only 2 that I could not find the original isn't too bad. And both those were staging area.

I would estimate that approximately 10% of my images were deleted. (As opposed to the thumbnails were deleted. I had a whole lot of those).

#8 bmhjr

bmhjr

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:15 AM

I spent a few hours last week and repopulated my Astrobin.  I lost everything but luckily it was only 75 images plus revisions.  I did not bother with the staging area, just deleted the 10 or so that were missing.

#9 iwannabswiss

iwannabswiss

Apollo

• Loc: Somewhere in Space

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:49 PM

When Astrobin went to a paid service, I switched to Telescopius and left the few images I had alone, but since mine were all wiped out, I decided to delete my account.

#10 Stelios

Stelios

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:53 AM

I repopulated everything within a day or so, but I didn't bother with revisions--just uploaded the final image. 

Now to find some time to work on my huge backlog of stuff to process... 

#11 johnsoda

johnsoda

Apollo

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:19 AM

Odd thing for me is that I think all of my images are fine, but the sky plots seem to be gone.  I just force it to do another plate solve, and they come back.  I realize this is trivial compared to what others have experienced, but it is odd. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#12 NuclearRoy

NuclearRoy

Mariner 2

• Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

Yes, although I'm new and only had a dozen.

I do appreciate Salvatore's apology email and upgrade (I only had the Lite subscription).

I also have all (lol) of my images in Telescopus.

I like, and will continue to use, both sites.

#13 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

Hubble

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:03 PM

I sent Salvatore a request to delete my entire staging area.  If I had to do that image by image...

#14 Madratter

Madratter

Voyager 1

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:07 PM

It was tempting to get rid of my staging area, but I do use it occasionally to show things here at cloudy nights that I don't want part of my main area.

An example would be processing someones data for them. If I just deleted it, then that breaks the link here for all time.

#15 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colchester, VT

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:50 PM

I was a lucky one. Not one single image, revision or thumbnail was lost.

#16 dswtan

dswtan

Vostok 1

• Loc: Morgan Hill, CA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:20 PM

Nope. All but one deleted. I’ll get around to it eventually. I certainly didn’t see the point of rushing in to fix things while it was overloaded and potentially unstable. I only have a few images, basically bests, little staging.

I have mixed feelings about the whole thing. The mistake was a really bad one. I work in the field. His apology was clear, quick, sincere, and appreciated. I am TOTALLY sympathetic with the humanity of it, but honestly, commercial services should never have ”delete everything” failures. Yes I know this is a small hobby, but it was a commercial site on a basically reliable platform. I hope Sal really does get the extra help promised. He should not be working alone at this scale. “Are you sure?”

Edited by dswtan, 26 February 2020 - 11:21 PM.

• mikefulb likes this

#17 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:31 PM

I never had a "paid" account, but I got the E-Mail last week giving me 1 year of "Premium" service.

I'll probably still pass.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics