•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Return (sort of) of an old friend

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dale wilson

dale wilson

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grantsville, UT

Posted 24 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

Years ago, I bought my first telescope.  A Meade Lxd55 8" schmidt-newtonian.  Had it for several years, then sold it to purchase a 10" lx200gps.  I regretted selling it.  Now, I realize that these scopes were panned heavily by the astronomical community.  Most of it was based on the mounts not being beefy enough for the scope.  That part I agree with.  I have looked through many telescopes in the 52 years I've roamed this globe.  I have never looked through and equal aperture optical tube that gave the same view as the sn design did.  The time finally came and I purchased the 10" model from a friend in our astro club.  He was the original owner and kept it in near perfect shape...thanks Rob.  I may sell the mount and get one that will support it better.  But for now, it is on the pier in my observatory in Grantsville, UT.  Seems to be pretty stable on that.

If you have not looked through one of these scopes, you're missing out.  

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200220_131448.jpg
  • 20200220_131629.jpg

• Gray and Stevegeo like this

#2 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:58 AM

I have the 10in  version of the Meade , and I agree. The mount, was its weak point.    This past summer I dismounted the mount and scope off my pier and replaced with a Celestron C11 on a fork mount.   It has taken a lot to get used to the fork mount compared to the GEM with Autostar.    I miss the Meade , and this spring will buy a suitable mount for the Meade,  remove  the C11, put the Meade back, use the C11 along with my C8 for get togethers.  Personally ,my preference is the SN,   it just has better feel about it which is hard to descibe and viewing , I agree is better...

If anyone could reccomend  a good goto mount that I could get that would support the SN Meade 10in,  and not break the bank.... I'm all ears.... 

Stevegeo, Area3751  Observatory,  Otisco Lake  NY.

1571401391634.jpg

• Bonco2 likes this

#3 dale wilson

dale wilson

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Grantsville, UT

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:09 PM

Nice! I still love my lx200. I had it mounted on a wedge. Good to hear there are others who share my passion for the sn.

#4 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

Dale Wilson, it looks like you have a really nicely built observatory.  Do you have any photos of it posted here?

Stevegeo, does the "geo" in your username refer to what I now think it refers to from looking at the picture above?

I've never looked through a Schmidt-Newtonian.  I don't think anyone in my local club owns one. 

#5 TrackballJerry

TrackballJerry

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eugene, Oregon, USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:19 PM

My astronomy club was just given an 8" Schmidt-Newtonian. Looks a lot like the Meade that Dale posted, but doesn't have "Meade" printed on the side. It does have a Meade corrector plate, but I'm dubious about whether it's the right one for the scope, since the corrector plate is labeled "Schmidt-Cassegrain" and claims a focal length of 2000mm at f/10. Looks to me like someone cobbled together a Schmidt-Newtonian out of parts.

I star tested it and it looked pretty woefully undercorrected, but the scope has no mount so I was just holding the scope in my lap and it was wiggling like crazy. The collimation was also way off. I'll need to collimate it and re-test it to see if it's really any good or not.

Dale: what does your corrector plate say? Did Meade just use SCT correctors on these, or did they make special correctors for their Schmidt-Newtonians?

#6 Stevegeo

Stevegeo

Viking 1

• Loc: Otisco ny.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:35 PM

Stevegeo, does the "geo" in your username refer to what I now think it refers to from looking at the picture above?

I've never looked through a Schmidt-Newtonian.  I don't think anyone in my local club owns one. 

To answer yes in a way , geo...as in geodesic ( my house) , and geo as in George my last name . 

As for the SNewt ,  you should try one out .. you may really like it .  I do..  

Stevegeo Area3751 observatory otisco lake ny 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics