•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Help connecting Stellarmate to my home WIFI

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:31 PM

I got my new Stellarmate up and running and so far am happy with it. I opted to run it off a 2GB RPi4 rather than the Stellarmate gadget. So far been in hotspot mode and running everything from the RPi4 via VNC on my iMac. Now I want to run it from the desktop version of Ekos/kStars instead and connect via my home wifi and not use the hotstop. How do I do this? The only info I can find says that you connect to wifi with the app. Don't I need to have bought the SM gadget to use the app?

#2 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:34 PM

You can change this setting using either the Android or iOS StellarMate application. There’s instructions on how to do this through the StellarMate website. Alternatively, you can connect it to a HDMI monitor (like a TV) and attach a USB keyboard and mouse. WIth the screen and peripherals you’ll be able to see the network icon, and choose a different WIFI connection like your home network.

#3 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

You can change this setting using either the Android or iOS StellarMate application. There’s instructions on how to do this through the StellarMate website. Alternatively, you can connect it to a HDMI monitor (like a TV) and attach a USB keyboard and mouse. WIth the screen and peripherals you’ll be able to see the network icon, and choose a different WIFI connection like your home network.

Thanks. But am I right in saying that you can't use the app unless you bought the Stellarmate gadget from the Stellarmate website? I didn't, I just bought the OS and my own RPi4.

I just want to run it from my iMac but not be connected to it through the hotspot but my wifi. Main reason is, I want to use online Astrometry plate solving. I tried offline and it keeps failing on me. The other reason is using the VNC I hate the resolution and lag.

#4 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:58 PM

Thanks. But am I right in saying that you can't use the app unless you bought the Stellarmate gadget from the Stellarmate website? I didn't, I just bought the OS and my own RPi4.

I just want to run it from my iMac but not be connected to it through the hotspot but my wifi. Main reason is, I want to use online Astrometry plate solving. I tried offline and it keeps failing on me. The other reason is using the VNC I hate the resolution and lag.

You are entitled to use the app with the OS.  Also, version 1.5.1 was just posted two days ago, so make sure you are using the latest version.

Edited by sbradley07, 25 February 2020 - 01:59 PM.

#5 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

You are entitled to use the app with the OS.  Also, version 1.5.1 was just posted two days ago, so make sure you are using the latest version.

Thier website says this"

"The StellarMate Mobile App requires Serial Key and Licence in order to operate the StellarMate Controller"

I don't have a serial key or license because I bought my own Rasp Pi not their device.

#6 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:22 PM

See this:  https://stellarmate....time-setup.html

and this line:  "If you purchased StellarMate OS, the Device Serial Number is automatically generated for you."

#7 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

See this:  https://stellarmate....time-setup.html

and this line:  "If you purchased StellarMate OS, the Device Serial Number is automatically generated for you."

OK that's good info I did not know that.

#8 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:13 PM

Here are a couple of tips that should help

I'm running the newest version 1.5.1 on a Pi3B+ for a year (updated last night).  I bought only the StellarMate OS and run it on my own Pi.

1. Simplest way to connect it to your home network is to plug in a standard RJ45 ethernet cable and boot it up. It will be on your home network automatically instead of creating its own wifi network.  Use VNC on your PC/Mac and log into it and you can control and configure it from your PC/Mac just like you were looking at it with a monitor, keyboard and mouse attached.
  2. Then go into the network settings and add your wifi password to your wifi network, which it should detect automatically if it broadcasts its network name.   You can unplug the ethernet cable and it will then always see your wifi network first if in range.

Also - if you want to get your serial key and license key, log into the Stellarmate website with your account login and go to Support > Licenses

Edited by timmbottoni, 25 February 2020 - 03:14 PM.

#9 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:59 PM

Here are a couple of tips that should help

I'm running the newest version 1.5.1 on a Pi3B+ for a year (updated last night).  I bought only the StellarMate OS and run it on my own Pi.

1. Simplest way to connect it to your home network is to plug in a standard RJ45 ethernet cable and boot it up. It will be on your home network automatically instead of creating its own wifi network.  Use VNC on your PC/Mac and log into it and you can control and configure it from your PC/Mac just like you were looking at it with a monitor, keyboard and mouse attached.
  2. Then go into the network settings and add your wifi password to your wifi network, which it should detect automatically if it broadcasts its network name.   You can unplug the ethernet cable and it will then always see your wifi network first if in range.

Also - if you want to get your serial key and license key, log into the Stellarmate website with your account login and go to Support > Licenses

Thank you! Do you run plate solving online, offline or remotely?

• Lead_Weight likes this

#10 Lead_Weight

Lead_Weight

Apollo

• Loc: Houston

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

Thier website says this"

"The StellarMate Mobile App requires Serial Key and Licence in order to operate the StellarMate Controller"

I don't have a serial key or license because I bought my own Rasp Pi not their device.

That is true. So you'll have to connect to it's internal network via your Mac with VNC and change the internet settings to your local network. Or hook up a monitor to the Pi to see it. Any TV will work that has HDMI inputs (if your monitor doesn't have it).

#11 mpaul73

mpaul73

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:04 AM

I ended up getting connected to my home wifi via the web manager (Web Manager URL: http://stellarmate.local:8624). From their I choose the wifi setting and was able to add my network and connect.

• Lead_Weight likes this

#12 timmbottoni

timmbottoni

Vanguard

• Loc: W Chicago suburbs, IL USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:57 PM

Thank you! Do you run plate solving online, offline or remotely?

So far none with the new version - only "cloud solving" here.

But in the old version I ran the SM as the server via the PC running Ekos/KStars on my PC and I think I set it up for local or offline, if my memory is correct.  I think that means it was done with the files on the SM locally solving.

I downloaded the ASTAP software and want to try that as its supposed to be faster according to a YouTube video I watched.  Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.  You can download ASTAP for you PC too for free and it seems to have a lot of cool features. 

IF I get a clear night Fri or Sat this week, I will give all this new versions and software a try and let you know.

Timm

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics