•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky and Telescope site gets radical makeover

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

Sky and Telescope's web site has had a radical makeover.  I can't get to the .com version because my browsers now block it, but the .org version looks completely different.

https://skyandtelescope.org/

Check it out.

• ianatcn, pugliano, Michael Covington and 1 other like this

#2 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:38 PM

It looks like skyandtelescope.com now redirects to the new skyandtelescope.org site.

• Michael Covington likes this

#3 KidOrion

KidOrion

Vanguard

• Loc: Eugene, OR

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

Hallelujah!  What an improvement (at least as far as appearance)!

• Carl Kolchak likes this

#4 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:32 PM

One thing that I can't find anymore is a link to the current PDF issue for digital subscribers (Nxtbook).  They do send out an email each month with a link, and I usually download the issue right away.  Still, it was nice to have the link on the home page.

There's no generic Nxtbook link that always points to the latest issue.  The only thing I can find to bookmark is a specific month's issue and then go to the stack to select the latest issue.  Clumsy, but I guess it works.

#5 Mike Lynch

Mike Lynch

Viking 1

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:32 PM

It looks like skyandtelescope.com now redirects to the new skyandtelescope.org site.

Yeah, my tablet's browser sent me to the new site without a problem.... Interesting, completely new layout!

#6 Charles Kirk

Charles Kirk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:53 PM

I think the new design is a great improvement.

One thing that I can't find anymore is a link to the current PDF issue for digital subscribers (Nxtbook).  They do send out an email each month with a link, and I usually download the issue right away.  Still, it was nice to have the link on the home page.

There's no generic Nxtbook link that always points to the latest issue.  The only thing I can find to bookmark is a specific month's issue and then go to the stack to select the latest issue.  Clumsy, but I guess it works.

I never noticed that, I always download it from the email.

#7 jerobe

jerobe

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southeast Texas

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:52 PM

I like the new website. Clean, well organized, easy on the eyes, easy to navigate.

#8 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:57 PM

What are people talking about? I just looked at skyandtelescope.com on my iPad Pro and it's the same layout as several days ago, and the news articles have been updated. I never heard of skyandtelescope.org before. So S&T has two websites now?

#9 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

What are people talking about? I just looked at skyandtelescope.com on my iPad Pro and it's the same layout as several days ago, and the news articles have been updated. I never heard of skyandtelescope.org before. So S&T has two websites now?

That's odd.  If I try to load the .com address it automatically redirects me to the .org site with the clean new style. I can no longer get to the old style site.  I'm on an iPad mini.  Same goes for my iPhone and iMac.  All of the new stuff just started this afternoon for me.

#10 starblue

starblue

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: St. George, Utah, USA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:05 PM

OK, I've explored a bit. While skyandtelescope.com's front page is the same, all the links have been updated to point to skyandtelescope.org. I followed a link to one of Bob King's articles I had read a few days ago at the .com site and it now points to a differently formatted page at the .org site. Interesting. I can't see S&T giving up their .com page, though.

#11 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:11 PM

I doubt that they will give it up completely.  I'd expect them to keep it so that they can redirect people to the .org site.  As they are part of the AAS, the .org domain is now more appropriate.

Have you tried reloading the home page to see if that gets you the new style home page at .org?

#12 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:11 AM

Yeah...I like the new page.  Simple style yet classy.

#13 obrazell

obrazell

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:04 AM

It is odd though that the new website makes very little reference to the magazine and just seems a generic astronomy news site. I think I preferred the old site

Owen

• brentknight likes this

#14 Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Bend, Indiana, USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:56 PM

Click on Subscribe at the upper right corner, scroll down to where it says How do I get digital access? Then click on the link where it says To get the latest digital issue click here.

Clumsy but I just downloaded the April 2020 issue.

• ascii likes this

#15 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:30 PM

Click on Subscribe at the upper right corner, scroll down to where it says How do I get digital access? Then click on the link where it says To get the latest digital issue click here.

Clumsy but I just downloaded the April 2020 issue.

Thanks, that works for me too.  As you say, it is clumsy.  They should bring back the "Magazine" menu on the front page for quicker, more obvious access to the current issue.

#16 Sleep Deprived

Sleep Deprived

Messenger

• Loc: Seattle Area

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

I must say that I don't like what they've done.  The page has loads of blank space on my browser.  Text overrides other text, making alphabet soup.  Same at work.  I work for a Fortune100 company, and our computer systems are kept up to date.  Admittedly, my computer at home is old, but the S&T site is the first of the sites I regularly visit to show these problems.  Internet Explorer at home and at work.

This reminds me of M*A*S*H when Hawkeye doctored Radar's stripes on his uniform to get him into the officer's club.  A colonel saw the funky stripes and said something negative, to which Hawkeye said, "These are the new Corporal-Major stripes ordered by HQ.  They are asking us to find out what people think of the new rank."  Or something to that effect. To which the colonel says, quietly and almost under his breath, "No, I don't like that.  I don't like that at all."  At which point, Radar essentially soils himself.

So...  "No, I don't like that.  I don't like that at all."

#17 smithrrlyr

smithrrlyr

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:49 PM

I like the overall look.  I've noticed no trouble with text overrides using either Chrome or Internet Explorer (on a laptop, Windows 10).  I have not yet tried the website with my phone.

#18 brentknight

brentknight

Vanguard

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:11 PM

I must say that I don't like what they've done.  The page has loads of blank space on my browser.  Text overrides other text, making alphabet soup.  Same at work.  I work for a Fortune100 company, and our computer systems are kept up to date.  Admittedly, my computer at home is old, but the S&T site is the first of the sites I regularly visit to show these problems.  Internet Explorer at home and at work.

This reminds me of M*A*S*H when Hawkeye doctored Radar's stripes on his uniform to get him into the officer's club.  A colonel saw the funky stripes and said something negative, to which Hawkeye said, "These are the new Corporal-Major stripes ordered by HQ.  They are asking us to find out what people think of the new rank."  Or something to that effect. To which the colonel says, quietly and almost under his breath, "No, I don't like that.  I don't like that at all."  At which point, Radar essentially soils himself.

So...  "No, I don't like that.  I don't like that at all."

You are absolutely right...on IE, the page is broken.  But IE is end-of-life and so you should be using something else.  Chrome works great and even Edge works fine.  Time to put IE to bed...

• BFaucett likes this

#19 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:46 PM

I have no trouble with Safari or Firefox on macOS.  Also no trouble with Safari on iOS or iPadOS.  All of them render S&T's new site without problem.

#20 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:30 PM

I like the sunset and Moon phase info at the top.  I have one criticism of it though.  The horns of the crescent Moon graphic extend too far and begin to curve back toward each other.  That should be corrected.

Now that I think about it, it would be nice to have the sunset and Moon phase info be a clickable link straight to their "Celestial Almanac" with full info on the Sun, Moon, and planets for your current day and location.

#21 Starman1

Starman1

Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

• Vendors
  • Loc: Los Angeles

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:07 PM

The main difference is that it is a "responsive" website now that presents the same way on phone, tablet, PC, or smart TV.

If you go down the page to This Month's Issue and click it, there are extras to read that are not in the magazine.  That's cool.

• brentknight and BGazing like this

#22 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:27 PM

Any news on whether there will be an app to read issues...or this is it?

#23 BGazing

BGazing

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgrade, Serbia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:40 PM

The main difference is that it is a "responsive" website now that presents the same way on phone, tablet, PC, or smart TV.

If you go down the page to This Month's Issue and click it, there are extras to read that are not in the magazine.  That's cool.

Thank you so much for this tip. It says 'not in print' but it's actually not in digital either.

#24 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

Any news on whether there will be an app to read issues...or this is it?

My suspicion is that they will not put out an app, now that they have PDF's of the magazine issues available for subscribers to download.  There are plenty of PDF and ebook reader apps available that can handle the PDF's pretty well.

#25 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

Going on TWO WEEKS being unable to download the PDF.

It seems that a request for help results in a 10 day waiting period....to get another response from the "help" desk.

It is a total mess......

I am traveling for several months.  I was not pleased when Sky and Telescope went to Zineo, but this is even worse.  Oh well, I guess I can read all the OUT OF DATE issues when I get back home.  

It won't take my email address, yet it is the same address that I registered with Sky and Telescope and the one they use to send emails to me!!!

Edited by vsteblina, 28 February 2020 - 06:44 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics