•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky and Telescope site gets radical makeover

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#26 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Glen Burnie (Maryland)

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:50 PM

Saw the new site and I like it. waytogo.gif

• James S. and Astrolog like this

#27 BwanaBob

BwanaBob

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:45 PM

Did they kill their SkyWeek app (at least for Android).  It no longer updates for the newest week.

#28 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:59 PM

Did they kill their SkyWeek app (at least for Android).  It no longer updates for the newest week.

It's not updating for me either on the SkyWeek app for iOS.  Maybe check it on Monday, once they get back in the office and possibly notice it's offline.

Meanwhile, "This Week's Sky at a Glance" on the web site is up to date.

#29 Marty0750

Marty0750

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 04:29 AM

Not only that it appears they finally jettisoned that insidious online Zinio format for the digital subscription and returned to the Nxtbook they had before that once again includes PDF downloads.

Well, well... I might even resubscribe after I dumped the magazine more than a year ago!

#30 ilovecomets

ilovecomets

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern MA

Posted 02 March 2020 - 06:38 AM

Not only that it appears they finally jettisoned that insidious online Zinio format for the digital subscription and returned to the Nxtbook they had before that once again includes PDF downloads.

Well, well... I might even resubscribe after I dumped the magazine more than a year ago!

I may in the minority, but I preferred the ZINIO and Apple News versions where I could use reader mode and adjusted the text size. Plus I could read it on my iPhone. I like have the PDFs too but going back to PDFs only (or Nxtbooks worst in class experience) is a step backwards and if there was any chance to get younger readers to this magazine it’s now gone. People under 40 don’t use computers regularly outside of work. Everything is done on an iPhone is android phone. And those that have tablets are probably an iPad but that’s a small subset of total users.

Edited by ilovecomets, 02 March 2020 - 06:38 AM.

#31 Marty0750

Marty0750

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2020 - 11:19 PM

I may in the minority, but I preferred the ZINIO and Apple News versions where I could use reader mode and adjusted the text size. Plus I could read it on my iPhone. I like have the PDFs too but going back to PDFs only (or Nxtbooks worst in class experience) is a step backwards and if there was any chance to get younger readers to this magazine it’s now gone. People under 40 don’t use computers regularly outside of work. Everything is done on an iPhone is android phone. And those that have tablets are probably an iPad but that’s a small subset of total users.

Yes I get your point. I'm one of the older geezers and screen reading is tedious for me and lowers my retention while sitting in relaxed atmosphere at the garden table scribbling notes in the margins (especially as I teach in a planetarium) helps to absorb and remember. Maybe younger readers can push suggestions to improve the Nxtbooks online platform.

Just a note; I had some of my (geezer) friends over for lunch and a young university student sat in. We were talking about students and their screens. The young chap stated, unlike his fellow students he prefers to jot down notes at lectures as he finds better retention of material.

• Tim Hager and ilovecomets like this

#32 Marty0750

Marty0750

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 05 March 2020 - 09:01 AM

Going on TWO WEEKS being unable to download the PDF.

It seems that a request for help results in a 10 day waiting period....to get another response from the "help" desk.

It is a total mess......

I am traveling for several months.  I was not pleased when Sky and Telescope went to Zineo, but this is even worse.  Oh well, I guess I can read all the OUT OF DATE issues when I get back home.  

It won't take my email address, yet it is the same address that I registered with Sky and Telescope and the one they use to send emails to me!!!

Same here!

Refuses to accept my email login

I paid for a year digital subscription. Money taken out of my bank account. Reported the problem to customer service . No response after 4 days. And the international subscription is more expensive too. US$65.95 About double!

Beginning to wonder if I am being ripped off.

#33 swalker

swalker

Associate Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Vendors
  • Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 06 March 2020 - 01:47 PM

Due to technical issues, we are unable to update the SkyWeek app. However, the content from the SkyWeek app can still be found at This Week’s Sky at a Glance. Our Interactive Sky Chart also offers a naked-eye view of the entire sky for your location.

#34 ascii

ascii

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Orlando, FL, USA Approximately 28.5ºN,81.5ºW

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:57 PM

Due to technical issues, we are unable to update the SkyWeek app. However, the content from the SkyWeek app can still be found at This Week’s Sky at a Glance. Our Interactive Sky Chart also offers a naked-eye view of the entire sky for your location.

I take it that this means the SkyWeek apps are permanently no longer useful?

If this is the case, you should remove them from the App Store, particularly the paid "plus" version.

• BFaucett likes this

#35 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: Arrakis

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:06 PM

The only thing that I don't like about the new skyandtelescope home page is that there isn't a "light-on-dark" option. I don't like the pure white background when I'm online after dark.

#36 Charles Kirk

Charles Kirk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:34 PM

I paid for a year digital subscription. Money taken out of my bank account. Reported the problem to customer service . No response after 4 days. And the international subscription is more expensive too. US$65.95 About double!

I managed to renew today for 29.95 USD, what I paid when I started my Digital Subscription last summer, using the link in the renewal email I received.

I did notice that they are charging a higher price for international subscriptions. This makes absolutely no sense for a Digital Subscription. For the paper subscription, sure, international postage is expensive.

I actually wonder if this an error in the webpage, as it does not make any sense to me.

They need get this sorted out otherwise they will lose prospective subscribers.

• Cyrano likes this

#37 Marty0750

Marty0750

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:57 AM

I managed to renew today for 29.95 USD, what I paid when I started my Digital Subscription last summer, using the link in the renewal email I received.

I did notice that they are charging a higher price for international subscriptions. This makes absolutely no sense for a Digital Subscription. For the paper subscription, sure, international postage is expensive.

I actually wonder if this an error in the webpage, as it does not make any sense to me.

They need get this sorted out otherwise they will lose prospective subscribers.

No error Charles I got charged the US$65.95 (AU$101.35). I wondered too why slug internationals? What have we done to deserve this? I am following this up. And yes S&T are on notice. I resubscribed to give them another go after their ZINIO escapade . We'll see...

Marty

Edited by Marty0750, 10 March 2020 - 05:58 PM.

#38 Marty0750

Marty0750

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

Finally got access to my digit subscription

The website still under construction as some of the links go to a default page

Does anyone know if the 2020 Sky gazers Almanac been published this year? The new subscribers gift pack offers it but it is last year's 2019.

Marty

#39 Charles Kirk

Charles Kirk

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: London, UK

Posted 22 September 2020 - 12:19 PM

Well as it turned out my renewal did not happen as my credit card had to be cancelled as a result of fraudulent transactions on it in mid March after which I was issued a new card.

When I next looked at renewing the subscription price for international subscribers had more than doubled.

Today finally got round to emailing Customer Service at Sky and Telescope to inform them why I will not be renewing at these international subscription rates.

The main text of the email reads:

"I live in the UK.I had a 12 month Digital Subscription to Sky and Telescope purchased on16th June 2019.

When it came round to renewal time the Digital Subscription price for International Digital Subscriptions had increased from $29.95 to $65.95, whereas for U.S. Subscriptions the increase was from $29.95 to $35.95.

I cannot understand why Digital Subscriptions are so much more expensive for International Subscribers when the distribution cost is the same.

For that reason I decided not to renew my subscription.

I hope that you will consider revising your Digital Subscription pricing for International Subscribers."

I really like Sky and Telescope. I would really like them to do well, but I think they are making a huge mistake with the Digital Subscription pricing.

• Cyrano and BFaucett like this

#40 jp071848

jp071848

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 23 September 2020 - 05:10 AM

Well as it turned out my renewal did not happen as my credit card had to be cancelled as a result of fraudulent transactions on it in mid March after which I was issued a new card.

When I next looked at renewing the subscription price for international subscribers had more than doubled.

Today finally got round to emailing Customer Service at Sky and Telescope to inform them why I will not be renewing at these international subscription rates.

The main text of the email reads:

"I live in the UK.I had a 12 month Digital Subscription to Sky and Telescope purchased on16th June 2019.

When it came round to renewal time the Digital Subscription price for International Digital Subscriptions had increased from $29.95 to $65.95, whereas for U.S. Subscriptions the increase was from $29.95 to $35.95.

I cannot understand why Digital Subscriptions are so much more expensive for International Subscribers when the distribution cost is the same.

For that reason I decided not to renew my subscription.

I hope that you will consider revising your Digital Subscription pricing for International Subscribers."

I really like Sky and Telescope. I would really like them to do well, but I think they are making a huge mistake with the Digital Subscription pricing.

I'll completely agree with you on this issue. I renewed my S&T subscription earlier this year after Zinio was replaced and we could download PDF files again. I notice my digital-only subscription, currently $29.95, will rise to $50.95 (I'm in Canada) upon renewal  in January. Sadly, I'll be letting my subscription lapse as well.

• BFaucett and Charles Kirk like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics