•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Access to 'Secret Sky' archives?

observing
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SNH

SNH

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: North central Arkansas

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:20 PM

Hello,
I enjoy contacting Stephen James O’Meara now and then to let him know of some neat observation I was able to make. It was probably a year ago that told him of my seeing Sirius naked-eye during the daytime (8 min after sunrise). He told me that he had written an article many years ago about an Icelandic man who had seen several stars with the naked-eye during the daytime. He said that it was probably on the online archives of his Secret Sky column. Well, I don’t have a subscription to Astronomy magazine and haven’t gotten one because I’m not a big fan of them since I find their deep-sky articles lacking. So I was wondering if someone who was a subscriber to them might be bothered to go back through O’Meara’s Secret Sky archives online and see if they can find the article he mentioned? So far I’ve managed to see four stars naked-eye and I would really be grateful to know how faint that Icelandic guy was able to see. Of course, if that seems like a lot of trouble, a person could always PM me and give me their access code and I could do it. I won’t lie though – given the chance, I might read some of O’Meara’s other archived Secret Sky columns while I’m at it! Don’t do it unless you want to. I’m just asking to save myself the cost of a subscription that I wouldn’t get much out. Hope that isn't weird!

Scott

#2 pkrallis

pkrallis

Mariner 2

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

Try your local library.

#3 SNH

SNH

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

Thanks Peter. I would if they actually carried them, but they don't. My Dad says they did back in the '90s!

Scott

#4 photoracer18

photoracer18

Gemini

• Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

Somebody in Iceland will have a decided advantage over you in seeing daylight stars. In the winter when the sun climbs barely over the southern horizon stars will be much more visible thru the sunlight during the day than they will be closer to the equator for a good portion of the day not just near sunrise and sunset.

#5 roelb

roelb

Apollo

• Loc: Belgium, Antwerp

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:27 PM

Here page 1: 

Attached File  Astronomy Magazine-January 2011-secretSky-Twilight musings-Stephan James O'Meara-page 1.pdf   330.55KB   36 downloads

• ilovecomets likes this

#6 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:28 PM

Here page 2:

Attached File  Astronomy Magazine-January 2011-secretSky-Twilight musings-Stephan James O'Meara-page 2.pdf   351.47KB   28 downloads

• ilovecomets likes this

#7 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 25 February 2020 - 06:32 PM

Somebody in Iceland will have a decided advantage over you in seeing daylight stars. In the winter when the sun climbs barely over the southern horizon stars will be much more visible thru the sunlight during the day than they will be closer to the equator for a good portion of the day not just near sunrise and sunset.

It was done in mid summer.

#8 SNH

SNH

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:47 PM

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you roelb!! I downloaded it yesterday evening and was surprised to see so many others had too before me. I read it, and O'Meara didn't write whether or not the guy had seen any stars before sunset. So I guess I'm still right where I was. But thanks again for helping me out! If you don't mind, I'd love to be able to get your help in the future if O'Meara mentions any more past articles.

Scott

#9 roelb

roelb

Apollo

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

Your most welcome.
I'll try to help when possible.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: observing

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics