•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Heart Nebula, Sh2-190 Bicolor with RGB Stars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

Here is the Heart Nebula in Ha / OIII with RGB stars. The composition had to be "tight in" on the Heart with my imaging FOV. This is a strong star forming region with many young stellar objects mixed in with the dust and gas. Within this Heart Nebula region are several LBN's, LDN's and star clusters - the most notable are shown in the annotated image. The more well known star cluster is IC 1805, additionally there are Czernik 10, Berkeley 65, and Tombaugh 4, star clusters.

The processing of the low surface brightness parts of the Heart were processed in a starless mode. Stars are a low stretch of RGB data. I am getting used to PI's pixel math - I have refined the narrow band Ha and OIII pixel math combination so that I can get the color mapping and color tone finely tweaked with the setting of a few pixel math constants. The starless narrow band image and RGB stars combination is also tweak-able with a few pixel math constants so that neither star color or starless nebula colors impact one another.

Image and details are accessed from the link below (or by clicking on the thumbnail). The annotated image can be linked from the main image page but I have also provided a link below for convenience. The full resolution image (2.4 arcsec/pix) can be accessed from the image webpage.

IC1805_FSQ_PI2_PS1_Crp_small.jpg

Heart Nebula Sh-190 IC1805

Annotated Image:
Heart Nebula Sh-190 IC1805 Annotated

Scope: FSQ-106N at f/5 (530 mm FL)
Camera: Atik 383L (Astronomik Gen 2  Ha OIII LRGB Filters)

• noodle, astrovienna, edif300 and 7 others like this

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Jersey

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

Nice detail!

#3 sunnyday

sunnyday

Aurora

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 25 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

what a show this photo gives us.
the detail is very precise.

bravo

#4 lucam

lucam

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Upstate NY, USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:21 AM

Beautifully done, Jim. Very balanced color and great detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 Michael Deger

Michael Deger

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Munich/Germany

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

Hi Jim,

very good result with fine details and nice colors.

Michael

http://galaxyphoto.de

#6 BenKolt

BenKolt

Vanguard

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:23 PM

Nicely done, Jim.  And thanks for the annotated image.  I have assumed all those bits and pieces had their own designations but had never researched them.

Just off the top of your FOV is little WeBo 1 (PN G135.6+01.0).  I have found that this pops out in SHO processing, appearing as a little blue ellipse (dominant OIII) oriented mostly along the DEC axis direction.

Ben

#7 Jim Thommes

Jim Thommes

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San DiegoCA USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:56 PM

Jerry, Sunnyday, Luca, Michael, Ben,

Thanks for the comments. They are much appreciated.

Nicely done, Jim.  And thanks for the annotated image.  I have assumed all those bits and pieces had their own designations but had never researched them.

Just off the top of your FOV is little WeBo 1 (PN G135.6+01.0).  I have found that this pops out in SHO processing, appearing as a little blue ellipse (dominant OIII) oriented mostly along the DEC axis direction.

Ben

Thanks for the comment Ben, I checked out WeBo 1 on DSS2 (just to orient location). Man, I just missed it. I probably could have adjusted the composition to catch it without sacrificing anything on the bottom of the FOV. I usually try to catch these things in my FOV planning - but this image was quite a squeeze. I have done some mosaics in the past, didn't do it here mainly because I am just too lazy to do them.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics