•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Flashing Stellarmate 1.5.1 onto sd card

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mahendreo

Mahendreo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:19 PM

Has anyone downloaded and flashed the new Stellarmate v1.5.1? I've tried 1.5.0 and 1.5.1 and the flashing has been unsuccessful. I used quick hash to confirm the integrity of the downloaded .xz file. I'm using a sandisk 64gb ultra sd card. I also tried a 32gb card from my dslr but same problems occur. I've used both Etcher and Win32 DiskImager. After flashing, only 252 mb is read on the card, the full 64gb cannot be accessed. I placed the flashed card into the raspberry pi (I have a pi 3 model B) and inserted the power cable. The red and green lights flash, the Wi-Fi is visible on my phone and laptop but I can't connect to it. I don't know what to try next. Has anyone had this problem or am I doing something wrong?

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 February 2020 - 09:41 PM

I must confess I do not have a Stellarmate BUT:

I would guess the best thing to do is to hook up a HDMI cable, LCD Monitor, USB keyboard & Mouse and SEE which WiFi or Ethernet connection/IP address  is available after ya power up.

You may wish to review this thread:

https://www.cloudyni.../#entry10005835

Edited by Xeroid, 25 February 2020 - 09:58 PM.

#3 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:02 PM

I have not had this problem, so I'm not sure what's going wrong.  I was able to flash 1.5.0 using Etcher on my Mac.  In fact, I've never had an issue flashing any version.  It should take up about 6gb when properly flashed.  But if you are seeing the Stellarmate hotspot, it must be loading so I agree with Xeroid to connect up a monitor to see what's happening.   How are you trying to connect to it?  VNC?

Edited by sbradley07, 25 February 2020 - 10:04 PM.

#4 Mahendreo

Mahendreo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:30 PM

That does sound like a good idea, but unfortunately I have neither monitor, tv nor keyboard with me right now, at least not until next weekend. I've been trying to connect to the Pi with the Android App. I scan for devices but it doesn't pick up anything. But Stellarmate does show up in wifi but I cannot connect to it, even after entering stellar@mate as the password. So far, I've meticulously followed the instructions on flashing the sd card, I am using windows 10. At the end of flashing and verification, Etcher shows an error that "1 Device Failed". 

#5 sbradley07

sbradley07

Ranger 4

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 February 2020 - 11:33 PM

Any chance you can test flashing it on a different PC?  You've tried two different image files, two different sd cards and two different disk imagers...the only thing you haven't tried (unless you have) is a different computer.  

Also, I found some references to the error you are seeing, and some discussions about testing the sd card integrity (apparently there are fake sd cards out there.)  There are some free utilities (eg. h2tesw.exe) to test your card.  

#6 Mahendreo

Mahendreo

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

So I finally got it work. The sd card was only showing 252 mb after flashing on my windows laptop because the rest of my 64 gb card was formatted to work with the linux OS. After booting up the pi, I saw the stellarmate WiFi but my Samsung s7 edge does not connect to it. It has something to do with the WPA PSK security on the stellarmate WiFi. I connected to stellarmate with my laptop by VNC using the instructions on the stellarmate website. I then went into the WiFi settings and changed the security to "None". I rebooted the pi and my phone was able to connect to it without using the password. I've concluded that its just best for me to control stellarmate by VNC because the mobile app has some limitations, so I've turned the WiFi security back on. 

Now comes the hard part, learning how to use it. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics