•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PST Initial Quality in 2020

equipment solar
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrJim

MrJim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chicago, IL

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:43 PM

I am considering purchasing a new PST for visual use. I know that in the past there have been issues with "rust". Have the PSTs being produced today addressed this issue? In general, if I purchase new can I reasonably expect to receive a reliable telescope? Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 AposkiiLola

AposkiiLola

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:51 AM

Yes the newer ~2018 PST contains an entirely new ITF filter which does not rust, and the objective lens does not rust.

However it is still a poorly manufactured entry level telescope and it is best to purchase a lunt ls50tha for quality purposes alone, and its USA manufactured parts; They are typically made to order.

There is a chance if you order a PST telescope, you may receive a  seriel number that is potentially 5 years old.   

PST's are known to sit on the shelf for long periods and are not built to order.    But you can always get lucky if you are a gambling man. 

• MrJim likes this

#3 viewer

viewer

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 60N, Bortle 8, Helsinki, Finland

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

I got lucky. Think the rust problem hasn't been an issue in new PSTs for quite a few years.

• MrJim likes this

#4 MrJim

MrJim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:37 PM

The PST is now $494.63 at Amazon. It was $600.00 just a few days ago when I checked. This may be enough to tip me toward the PST. I Don't need to buy a mount as I can use my photo tripod, I don't need a finder scope as it is internal - this is a very economical way to get back into solar viewing.

#5 AposkiiLola

AposkiiLola

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Yes its a good deal to jump on, but heed the warnings about it being a gamble.

the ls50tha can also be used on a tripod, and does come with the clamshell mount.

also you will never get a satisfactory response out of meade anymore, they went bankrupt.

lunt is based in the u ited states and immediatley help you should there be a problem with the scope, 

if the coronado is faulty you have no other option but to return it to then vendor.

best of luck with what ever you choose.

• MrJim likes this

#6 MrJim

MrJim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 09:17 PM

If the PST is faulty out of the box, I will avail myself of Amazon's excellent return policy. I have done quite a bit of business with them and am a long time Prime member, so that becomes a low risk part of the transaction. If it doesn't meet my standards, it goes back to Amazon.

As for Meade, I think that they will go into reorganization rather than liquidation. However, if Meade does liquidate I think that Coronado and their production facilities in Mexico would be sold off intact and continue to be a functional player in the solar scope market.

For about $500, I think it is a great opportunity to get into solar observation. The level of risk is one I am willing to accept based on having observed through several PSTs in the past. Thanks to you and to viewer for adding your thoughts - Cloudy Nights is an incredible source of information.

• Bagwell likes this

#7 Bagwell

Bagwell

Vostok 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

You must be getting a special deal, I see it on Amazon for 599.  Great luck with the scope.  

Vaughn

• MrJim likes this

#8 MrJim

MrJim

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:12 AM

Vaughn,

WOW! I just checked and it is back up to $599. I can't believe my luck. I just verified that my order is indeed for $494.63. I have no idea why I got that rate. 

• Bagwell likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, solar

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics