•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SkyFi 3 with CGX

accessories Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlphaGJohn

AlphaGJohn

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wasatch Front, Utah

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:38 AM

Hi Folks,

I've been looking at getting the SkyFi 3 wifi adapter to use with my CGX and also with an iOptron mount I have--since presumably it would work with either one as opposed to the SkyPortal, which would only work on the CGX (I don't envision often using both mounts at the same time). It also sounds like it might have somewhat more range than the SkyPortal, although it's  too bad the SkyFi  only runs off it's own battery and isn't technically  rated for below 0C.

Anyone have any experience  with both SkyFi and SkyPortal or just experience  with the SkyFi with a  Celestron mount?

If I decide to add a StarSense unit, would there be any complications with using the SkyFi with  it?

I have Sky Safari Pro and would be planning to use it with the SkyFi. I'm a strictly  visual observer  for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for whatever info you can  share.

John

Edited by AlphaGJohn, 26 February 2020 - 08:54 PM.

#2 sandconp

sandconp

Ranger 4

• Loc: Minnesota USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:41 AM

I use my SkyFi 3 with my CGX so I can use Sky Safari on my Ipad and it works great.

What questions do you have ?

#3 sandconp

sandconp

Ranger 4

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

I also use Star Sense with my CGX. I have a friend that is tying to get SkyFi 3 with his Ioptron mount.

#4 AlphaGJohn

AlphaGJohn

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Wasatch Front, Utah

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply,  sandconp,!

Do you ever use the SkyFi in below 0C weather? If so do you have a way to keep the SkyFi warm? Or does it work all right even when cold? I'm envisioning having to  wrap it in single use hand warmers or some such.

I understand it connects via the hand controller, correct? Can you still use the direction buttons on the HC?

Align before attaching the SkyFi? Or what's the  sequence? Any difference with StarSense?

Have you ever had issues with it disconnecting or being bothered by other nearby wifi hubs?

What happens if you  lose connection to your  phone/tablet?

Any idea what kind of range it has?

Any particular tips?

Thanks!

John

Edited by AlphaGJohn, 26 February 2020 - 08:56 PM.

#5 Phil Ramsay

Phil Ramsay

Explorer 1

• Loc: Saint Paul, MN

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:59 AM

I was just out observing for a little over an hour with my SkyFi 3 and Celestron SE mount at about 18 degrees F.

SkiFi 3 did just fine in the cold. No dropped connections to my iPhone 8.

In the past if I did lose connection, just hit Connect in Sky Safari Pro, and you’re right back where you were. Telescope knows where it’s pointed, so just updates the phone app.

Gotta say, my phone and I didn’t care for the cold though. Maybe a bit over 90 minutes in the cold including set up time, and my phone battery was near zero, and I was happy to tear down and warm up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 sandconp

sandconp

Ranger 4

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:30 PM

Thanks for the reply,  sandconp,!

Do you ever use the SkyFi in below 0C weather? If so do you have a way to keep the SkyFi warm? Or does it work all right even when cold? I'm envisioning having to  wrap it in single use hand warmers or some such.

I understand it connects via the hand controller, correct? Can you still use the direction buttons on the HC?

Align before attaching the SkyFi? Or what's the  sequence? Any difference with StarSense?

Have you ever had issues with it disconnecting or being bothered by other nearby wifi hubs?

What happens if you  lose connection to your  phone/tablet?

Any idea what kind of range it has?

Any particular tips?

Thanks!

John

In extreme cold temperatures like below zero, it does not do that well. The range is far better than the the built in WIFi on the Evolution mount.  I can sit in my kitchen and have my scope in the driveway using my own WiFi network with a ORBI mesh network.

Edited by sandconp, 29 February 2020 - 12:31 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics