•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best filter for Fox Fur Nebula DSLR

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Odom2469

Odom2469

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:58 AM

I’m planning on imaging the Fox Fur Nebula tomorrow and I have a modded Cannon 60D and 2 filters. An Astronomik CLS-CCD filter and a Optolong L-Enhance filter. I’m asking what would be the better choice and suggested exposure time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:06 AM

Theh Constellation Guide say that it is Red from Ha emission and some Blue from reflection.

Images seem mainly blue but that I suspect is artistic licence, which can be a pain in the rear.

Transmission of the Astronomik CLS filter appears a good fit. It passes the Ha region and the Hb+OIII region fairly broadly. You are likely to want a broad pass at the blue end. since the wavelengths are less well defined as they are reflection not emission.

Durations depends on you. I go for shorter durations and more, but no guiding and I find that maintains the star colors. Since the nebula has hot new stars it is likely irrelevant to you as they will all appear bright white.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics