•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

etx 70 mount capacity and possibility to install a dovetail?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 daslolo

daslolo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 03:43 AM

This one came used local at a very low price and I was considering it as a solar telescope mount.

Is it possible to install a dovetail and what's the payload capacity?

#2 sg6

sg6

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:17 AM

ETX mount is a fork and I cannot see how you would install a single (?) dovetail.

Capacity I would say is low, say maybe 5lbs.

Estimate that soley on the feeling I would put a 72ED on but not an 80ED.

Really need more detail on the intended modifications and additions as one thought is a bit more extreme and likely needs bits made (3D printer perhaps). Idea is remove somehow the OTA, keep the gear of the OTA, hang a cradle between the gears and mount a scope on the cradle.

And the ETX 70 autostar knows nothing absolutely nothing about the sun.

The sun does not exist to one.

You have to enter the RA and Dec of the sun as a  custom object or manually via the handset.

The Suns RA and Dec changes daily, so a custom object needs regular updates, say weekly.

Has no Solar rate but will track the sun happily for an hour or two with good Level and North.

#3 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:37 AM

I tried mounting an ETX60 on a wedge. It did not go well. The ETX60/70 has plastic gears, so even with the stock ETX60 tube, mounting the fork at an angle proved beyond the abilities of its plastic gears and weak motors to move. I would not try an AT72ED. Maybe a 60mm, which would still be heavier than the stock tube.

#4 zanxion72

zanxion72

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:46 AM

Also, a fork mount holds the scope with two "hands". Mounting a heavier tube to it on one "hand" would stress it far out of its specs.

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:56 AM

That said I think you can piggyback a PST on an ETX70. Or you could 3D print a replacement cradle to hold the solar scope in place of the original OTA..

#6 daslolo

daslolo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Camano Island, WA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:36 PM

Plastic gears - ok I'll give up that idea

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics