•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My Experience using SkyWatch for the Alphea All Sky Camera from Alcor Systems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

The Alphea 6CL AllSky Camera is a well-made ruggedized outdoor color camera with equally ruggedized connectors. There is no bubble level to aid vertical alignment. The Alphea camera is very expensive given the accompanying SkyWatch software is not reliable and the user interface not well thought out. The software has the feel of an explorative research project into what can be done with an AllSkyCam. The overall slow performance is unimpressive. I discovered many bugs and quirks. It includes many features, which are not well documented. This along with almost non-existent user support makes for an expensive and frustrating AllSky Camera experience. Given the present state of the software, the user might want to consider AllSkyEye.In summary, given all the issues I found with SkyWatch, I would still look forward to a significant software update because SkyWatch does show much promise.

Click here to view the article

#2 maxmir

maxmir

Ranger 4

• ***--

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:18 PM

Despite the software, how does the image quality compare?

#3 TeslaTrek

TeslaTrek

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

It seems very good.  At the very edge on the horizon you can see some distortion as expected.  But overall the lens/camera combo is great.  I will try to quantify in between my other projects.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics