•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Canon EOS 60d, 600d or 650d for Astrophotography?

accessories astrophotography CMOS dslr equipment imaging
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Astrogerdt

Astrogerdt

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:37 AM

Hi guys,

I'm from Germany and this is my first post here, so sorry for any (spelling)mistakes. 

That said, I'm coming to my question. I'm doing Astrophotography since about 4 years, mainly with an unmod Canon EOS 100d and my TS71SDQ. Now, I want to replace the 100d by another camera and use the 100d for wide fields. After a while of research, I found the Canon EOS 60d, 600d and 650d. Does anybody have experience with at least one of these models or can recommend one model?

Thanks for Answers

Gerrit

• BinoGuy likes this

#2 mmalik

mmalik

DSLR camera modifications

• Vendors
  • Loc: USA

Posted 26 February 2020 - 12:54 PM

Welcome to the forum; if you are upgrading why go with decade old tech? Look here.... Regards

Edited by mmalik, 26 February 2020 - 12:55 PM.

#3 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 26 February 2020 - 02:39 PM

Hi guys,

I'm from Germany and this is my first post here, so sorry for any (spelling)mistakes. 

That said, I'm coming to my question. I'm doing Astrophotography since about 4 years, mainly with an unmod Canon EOS 100d and my TS71SDQ. Now, I want to replace the 100d by another camera and use the 100d for wide fields. After a while of research, I found the Canon EOS 60d, 600d and 650d. Does anybody have experience with at least one of these models or can recommend one model?

Thanks for Answers

Gerrit

Canon 600d or 650d are indeed passed. Why not go for at least a 800d or 77d. There is replacement for the 800d coming(850d) but cost double the price and maybe not worth while for AP.

I guess a 250d may also be good, pretty much like an 800d but has less weight....

Edited by F.Meiresonne, 26 February 2020 - 02:40 PM.

#4 bignerdguy

bignerdguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Lewisville, TX

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:58 AM

I have the 60D and it does a pretty good job once astro-modified.  However, the noise levels in the 70D and higher as well as the 7D and above are much better than the 6/60/600 series were.  If i had had the money i wold have gone with the 80D as it has a much less noisy imager chip and far higher resolution.  That all being said if you cannot afford the pricier models, i would go with the 60D since it is a newer model than the 600 series and also it is one of the mid range models from Canon where as the 600 series are the budget models. The 60D will have more features than the 600 series will as well as more ISO options which are key for long exposures. Plus the flip out display does come in handy when you are aligning your scope so you dont have to turn your head upside down to see the tiny screen...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, CMOS, dslr, equipment, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics