•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

LX200 spotting scope specs?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 toucansam

toucansam

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:36 PM

I thought about putting this in the eyepieces forum, but I think it might fit here better.

I acquired the 50mm spotting scope from another member's LX200.  Its not like the spotters I have seen online when googling "LX200;" there is no "Meade" label on the dew shield, leading me to believe it is quite a bit older.  It is a fine little scope, with a really nice helical focuser.  Nice prism diagonal, and a functional EP with crosshairs that has "8x50" stamped on it.

I have it attached to a much larger scope, and I'd like to explore the possibility of using additional 0.965" EPs with this little spotter to make it into something else; would be awesome to have a small selection of 0.965" EPs to use for wide field viewing with the 50mm spotter, while its attached to its larger brother doing high mag/narrow FOV work.

Has anyone adapted this scope for such use?  I'd like to know its focal length so I can look into EPs that give me magnification in particular ranges.

Thank you!

#2 texcoco

texcoco

Vostok 1

• Loc: Mountains of Mexico & visits to the US

Posted 01 April 2020 - 11:13 AM

Like you, someone likely added this finder to the LX200 you pulled it from. A picture would help. Changing out eyepieces on 50mm finders is often desired and higher end units often come with that possibility, even having nice helical focuses built in (Williams Optics comes to mind)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics