•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Samsung Tab A 2019 will it work skysafari ?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 anaconda44

anaconda44

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:20 PM

hello, wondering if anyone one uses the Samsung Tab A 2019 moel with skysafari. if so can you scan the sky and the screen moves wirh tab movement like some phones

thanks, i would be grateful for the help

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

Of course you can.  Why wouldn't you be able to use it?  It's Android, and SS works with Android and Apple iOS.  Didn't you research the Galaxy Tab A or SkySafari? 

I use an 8 and a 10 Tab A with my scopes. 

• ZL4PLM likes this

#3 anaconda44

anaconda44

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 10:47 PM

I did research it.
Get conflicting info. Some say tab a has no compass. One said it was laggy. Im trying to find out if you move the tablet does it follow the sky like my phone does. ? Or if others have issues also

Edited by anaconda44, 26 February 2020 - 10:48 PM.

#4 Bean614

Bean614

Viking 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:09 AM

If you're using it for astronomy, you DON'T want a Compass!!!  A Compass gives you 'magnetic' North, which isn't used in Astronomy.  'True'/Polar North is used.  

• Steve Cox likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:15 AM

You do need a compass to follow the sky, the device needs it for the azimuth. The program has the magnetic declination information and knows your location from the GPS.

The site I trust for phone and tablet info is Gsmarena.  They say no compass.

https://www.gsmarena...(2019)-9760.php

I'm still using a Nexus 7 2013.

It's got a compass and runs SkySafari 6 Pro very nicely. It's one of the devices Bill used to test SkySafari.

Personally I don't worry about the compass feature, it's not that accurate because the generally compasses aren't that accurate and i know where the cardinal directions are and enough star names I just pan the tablet or search to go where i want.

Jon

• Carl Kolchak likes this

#6 anaconda44

anaconda44

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:42 PM

Well how is the accuracy. I gyess it has to be good for people using it for goto.?
I want to use skysafari on my orion 12xti . i have the wireless skyfi 3 module and cable coming. I looked at the link you posted. Tge 8in did not have compass. But the 10in has a Accelerometer, gyro, compass.

Edited by anaconda44, 27 February 2020 - 03:53 PM.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Well how is the accuracy. I gyess it has to be good for people using it for goto.?
I want to use skysafari on my orion 12xti . i have the wireless skyfi 3 module and cable coming. I looked at the link you posted. Tge 8in did not have compass. But the 10in has a Accelerometer, gyro, compass.

People are using tablets to control GOTO and PushTo mounts. For that a compass is not needed. The alignment and GOTO/PUSHTO depends on the mount hardware.

Jon

#8 anaconda44

anaconda44

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

Thank you.
Can you tell me if i download skysafari pro on my phone can it be carried over to a tablet with out having to buy it again.?
Also any other usefull apps to load on tablet

#9 Steve Cox

Steve Cox

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:38 PM

If your phone is also Android, then you can install it from the Google Play store.  I've got SSP6 on my phone, tablet, and Windows computer running inside Bluestacks.  If however, your phone is iOS, then you'll have to purchase it again through the Apple Store.

• Jon Isaacs and Carl Kolchak like this

#10 Master_Shake

Master_Shake

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 February 2020 - 02:22 AM

I bought this tablet about a couple of months ago just for sky safari.  Works fine.

#11 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:51 PM

If you're using it for astronomy, you DON'T want a Compass!!!  A Compass gives you 'magnetic' North, which isn't used in Astronomy.  'True'/Polar North is used.  

Yes, but SkySafari (and most astronomy apps) use the magnetic declination at your location to correct for the difference between true north and magnetic north.  So it is displaying true north.

Of course the problem is the digital compass's accuracy which may swamp the difference between tru and magnetic north,

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#12 anaconda44

anaconda44

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:16 PM

ok but i was wanting compass for when it's not connected to a scope. but you are saying skysafi works with out a compass for connection to scopes?

#13 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Our Galaxy

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

SkySafari does not need the compass for controlling a scope.  The only time the compass is used is when holding the tablet up to the sky in order to help identify something you might see.  In compass mode the screen depicts the area of the sky you are holding it up to. 

• Jon Isaacs, Carl Kolchak, Bean614 and 1 other like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics