•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Fork mount options for Schneider 25x105 binoculars

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Knossos

Knossos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Arizona

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:00 PM

My apologies if this has been covered before -- if so, please just direct me to the post(s).

I have a coated set of Schneider (Waffenamt kqc) 25x105's that I'd like to finally mount.  The original mounts (a pic of the correct cradle and azimuth base (from eBay) is attached) are even rarer than the binoculars.  The bins weigh about 32 lbs and have the standard German dovetail, which can be replaced with a modern one.  The max width is just under 10".  My thoughts are the 10" and 12" Helix Hercules, and maybe something like a C11 or C14 (I'd have to fabricate the cross bar between the fork arms).  Fabricating one from billet aluminum is a possibility (I machined one for the rare Goerz 90 degree 10x80), but starting with a ready-made mount or pieces thereof is infinitely easier. 

What fork mounts do you suggest?

Attached Thumbnails

• 14.jpg

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:35 AM

APM Fork Mount for large Binoculars

28 cm distance between the forks, not cheapbawling.gif

#3 junomike

junomike

Hubble

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

This combined with this should also work although you'll still need a Tripod.

#4 Knossos

Knossos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

Thanks; I considered that at the beginning but Vixen puts the weight limit of their fork mount at 29 lbs; the binos are at least 10% heavier.  Plus, I'm bothered that they don't give detailed specifications for their products (dimensions, materials, mechanical limits, etc.).  I can't even find out if the swing bracket is physically large enough.  I would think that for a technical/scientific item, there'd be a complete spec. list.

I have a 1960s vintage Linhof studio tripod, which was rated to carry a heavyweight studio TV camera of the era.

Edited by Knossos, 29 February 2020 - 12:16 PM.

#5 oldmanrick

oldmanrick

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Western Montana, USA

Posted 29 February 2020 - 12:47 PM

I use the APM "big binocular fork mount" for my APM 150 BT which weighs about 10 pounds more than yours.  It is expensive, and you would probably want to shim up under the mounting plate to achieve good vertical balance.  It should certainly be large enough and would carry the weight, but would require a very stout tripod.

Rick

#6 Knossos

Knossos

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 March 2020 - 11:23 AM

Thanks to everyone for their input.  I found a 10" Helix Hercules from a member heresmile.gif .  It arrived last night and it's just wide enough, but I'm very glad to have it.  I'll machine an adapter to use a 5/8-11 stud to mount everything to my Linhof R-Stativ tripod, which should be plenty stout.

Now that I have the fork mount in hand, it wouldn't be difficult for someone motivated and with access to a waterjet cutter to re-create the mount.  If you sourced the knobs from McMasterr-Carr, all you'd need would be a stout drill press, no vertical mill or lathe needed.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_7641b.jpg
  • IMG_7638b.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics