•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New Gear Exascerbation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter
  • Loc: Gig Harbor,WA.

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:31 PM

Hi,

A rant: Buying new equipment for this profession means nothing at times.

I just bought a brand new Telrad. The target circles do not show up in the viewing screen. The item is working, you can see the display when you look down into the illuminated area. But, it refuses to place the reticle in the viewing screen. I have turned the Telrad body in every direction but the reticle refuses to show up. It's on, fresh batts, out of the box. If I have to align the reticle (understood, no issue) where am I supposed to start when I can not see the reticle?

I just bought a brand new Celestron WiFi Sky Portal. It turns on, the lights are all on. According to the instructions, at this point I should be able to link to my IPad via Sky Safari or Sky Portal. The scope refuses to link to Sky Safari after adjusting all the settings that accompany the linking of an Iphone or Ipad. Neither will link. Flat nothing. Says it can't find a wifi link to the scope. Funny, there's one sitting right there, all new and lit up like a tiny christmas tree. And the program says it's not there. Other indicators are saying it's working.

I open Sky Portal, Celestron's resident control software for this Sky Portal module and it states a link was established but the scope will not respond. As a result, I could not change any parameter settings. For this guy, life begins after connection. YET! The scope is responding just fine, to every thing else I have on. Aligned on an asteroid and following the target as expected. I can move the scope via the hand control. I can link it to my planetarium and control the scope via that connection.

Now, both of those items are sitting in a dark corner of the room where I threw them. Let em lay there and bleed. I refuse to use any equipment that doesn't work right out of the box any more. Too much money and in part, I'm just buying yet another headache due to the time honored fashion of achieving as much convenience as possible.

I have lost my patience with new gear that doesn't do what it was advertised to do, right out of the box. That is the time when every thing you purchase should be set to it's constituent settings (default) when it was shipped and there fore should work the first time. Adjustments are expected of course. You buy a car and find out it won't start? I can test the car. I can't test any of this stuff before purchase, just what the seller tells me.

This stuff will sit where it landed for a couple of days, I will then attempt a second shot at it and if not, I will throw it away before any more frustrations occur. What is really maddening? Most others never seem to have these issues or just don't ever talk about their aggravation.

Thanks, and of course have a great day/night.

#2 Steve C.

Steve C.

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:49 PM

Suggestion: take the Telrad into a dark closet, position it about 6-12 inches from your eyes, and turn the gain to maximum. Tilt it a bit and you should see the rings. If not, it's possible it's defective, 

#3 TOMDEY

TOMDEY

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Springwater, NY

Posted 26 February 2020 - 11:50 PM

Well, at least for the Telrad, crank the brightness all the way up, hand-hold it and bring your eye right up to the "viewing screen", pointing toward a reasonably dark area... as if you are looking into an eyepiece. You should now see the reticle floating in space out there. Then you can slowly back away, and tweak those tip-tilt finger screws to bring the reticle where you want it. Now, when you put it on your scope, the reticle should at least appear in the right neighborhood, to tweak it into fine-alignment. That's all there is to it!  Tom

#4 msl615

msl615

Viking 1

• Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:05 AM

I can add about the Telrad:

I was out with mine right after sunset tonight setting up to observe the moon and Venus. Even in the relatively dim light, I had to hold up my hand in a dark glove to get it dark enough to see the projected images. As both said above, it needs to be dark to best see the circles. If you can see down into the projection area from above, then we know the LED system is working. The question is whether it is completely not pointing at the angled plastic surface or its just not dark enough. Right now, I am voting for darkness.

I don't have the WIFI Sky Portal, but it sounds like the wired control to the scope is working, but no WIFI at all? Have you used other WIFI connections to the scope, or is this the first time? WIFI is notoriously not plug-n-play for much beyond simple connections through routers to printers and relatively straight-forward home systems. If you are trying to connect a scope and an IPad through Sky Portal, my guess is it is going to take some debugging. Perhaps SkyPortal has an FAQ section on the web for Ipad and your scope (BTW, what scope are you using?). It could be software updates are needed on the scope CPU, or a host of other non-connection issues.

Sorry to hear this is so frustrating, and I hope both issues can be fixed.

Mike

#5 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 01:18 AM

Thanks every one.

The Telrad appears to be so far out of alignment, the reticle will not appear in the viewing screen. I took to my bathroom and turned off the lights. Nothing. Tilted, stretched out, close in, up or down. I think it may be collimation because I can see a sliver of light in total darkness, I could not get that sliver to change. So I failed at that task. Rubbish.

The scope I have is a band new Celestron 9.25 Edge on a CPC Deluxe mount. The scope is running beautifully through TSXpro. The only issue is there has to be a connection with a network cable. So I was hoping I could alleviate that problem with the portable wifi dongle from Celestron. But the jury is still out on this one. It appears to be introducing a whole new set of issues that have already been worked out resulting in reliable functioning. As long as I have that network cable connected to my ICRON comm boxes. The ICRONS are the most dependable pieces of gear I own. Years old and not one glitch. They now appear very used. But the little lights blink on.

Have a great night/day.

#6 jimr2

jimr2

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sparks, NV

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:51 AM

Greg,

You should have an astronomy club--or two--somewhere in the Puget Sound area you maybe could go to some night they're holding a star party--or perhaps show up at one of their business meetings--and hopefully someone there will be able to help you with your wi-fi issues (and/or Telrad). You might call/email them ahead of time to ask if someone there knows something about your scope and Sky Portal, etc., to make sure they'll be at the star party or meeting when you plan to show up there with your scope and other equipment. So search for nearby ast. clubs up there, and good luck!

-jim-

(formerly of Olympia, WA)

• SonnyE likes this

#7 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:51 AM

Shoot Greg, Wait, I cant say that... 

Shinola Greg,

Take a few minutes and watch this by Forrest Tanaka. https://youtu.be/9d0292TBMHo

Sit back and have a beer, or what have you.

If this stuff was easy, everybody would be doing it. But just us select masochists keep coming back to sit and shiver in the cold dark night, and wonder why none of the carp works like it should.

One thing I know is we all seem to have different stuff, so we don't have a lot to help get things working.

I'm sorry, but I don't have a lot of respect for Apple stuff. My wife is Apple, iPhone, iPads, experianced with Apple stuff. But all I can do for her most of the time is tell her to take it to the Apple store, or take her there.

When I was beginning into this insanity, part of my research included what platform ran it. Turned out it's mostly PC, Windows. But Apple, Ubuntu, and other computer off-shoots can be forced into submission.

I would have gone with whatever worked. But I was happy to stay with PC, the successor to IBM. Many folks who are most comfortable with Apple products adapt PC based programs into their Apple systems.

To me that's a band aid, and a problematic one.

I have one of those dongles Celestron sells to WiFi your mount. Didn't work for me either. Oh, it worked half-as mumble,mumble edly. But it lives in my case I keep my adaptacators and odds and ends in.

Who doesn't like to sit and gaze up at the night skies? We've done it since childhood, taught our kids when the showed an interest, or catch a glimpse as we travel through life. But it takes a certain fascination to plunk down some serious bucks to get a closer look. And try as we might, half the time we get gipt outright, or screwed.

There is perseverance, or give-upness. You could step back and let things sit, then come back with a refreshed point of view. Me, I persevere. I will get it to work. Even when boulders roll down the learning curve, I just keep trying.

Maybe next time you think you want something like the WiFi dongle, you hang a post and let it steep a while and see what sort of comments it collects. There is some good stuff, but there is a lot of bad stuff, too.

Get some input before you decide.

But no matter what, it is not easy.

#8 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:12 AM

Well, at least for the Telrad, crank the brightness all the way up, hand-hold it and bring your eye right up to the "viewing screen", pointing toward a reasonably dark area... as if you are looking into an eyepiece. You should now see the reticle floating in space out there. Then you can slowly back away, and tweak those tip-tilt finger screws to bring the reticle where you want it. Now, when you put it on your scope, the reticle should at least appear in the right neighborhood, to tweak it into fine-alignment. That's all there is to it!  Tom

Ok, I want every one to go back to their books. I was looking at the dang Telrad the wrong way. I had it reversed. I hate having to admit that, but there it is, the reticle is right where it belongs when you use the right view point. Yes I should have read the instructions. Well that's the funny part. When I opened the box, I placed the instructions to the side like always and looked over the Telrad. Some how the instructions moved across the room and I didn't know it. I found them a few minutes ago, and that is when I felt like an idiot. I mean right to the core. Not understanding is one thing, but this "I'm too high" behavior is ridiculous. I'm sorry, I'm still laughing. I want every one to ask them selves why no one suggested I turn the **** thing around._big grins.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Woodbridge_Dave

Woodbridge_Dave

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:05 AM

I think you need to read the instructions for your WiFi dongle.

• OldManSky likes this

#10 WadeH237

WadeH237

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Snohomish, WA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:07 AM

You should have an astronomy club--or two--somewhere in the Puget Sound area you maybe could go to some night they're holding a star party--or perhaps show up at one of their business meetings--and hopefully someone there will be able to help you with your wi-fi issues (and/or Telrad). 

Indeed.

The Seattle Astronomical Society has a monthly Astrophotography Special Interest Group that meets that the Museum of flight.  We are there the second Tuesday of each month and would be happy to help.  It's within easy driving distance of Gig Harbor.

The Tacoma Astronomical Society is even closer, but I'm not personally familiar with them.

And if you don't want to cross the Narrows Bridge, the Olympic Astronomical Society meets in Bremerton.  I know a few people from this group, and they have a very strong observing program.

#11 airbleeder

airbleeder

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Powder Springs, Georgia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:18 AM

Ok, I want every one to go back to their books. I was looking at the dang Telrad the wrong way. I had it reversed. I hate having to admit that, but there it is, the reticle is right where it belongs when you use the right view point. Yes I should have read the instructions. Well that's the funny part. When I opened the box, I placed the instructions to the side like always and looked over the Telrad. Some how the instructions moved across the room and I didn't know it. I found them a few minutes ago, and that is when I felt like an idiot. I mean right to the core. Not understanding is one thing, but this "I'm too high" behavior is ridiculous. I'm sorry, I'm still laughing. I want every one to ask them selves why no one suggested I turn the **** thing around._big grins.

You can't blame it on anybody but yourself. 

#12 Delta608

Delta608

Viking 1

• Loc: Tampa Bay Florida

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:27 AM

We already figured pilot error...grin.gif

#13 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:25 PM

Hi,

I was having a little fun.

For me, user error accounts for about 95% of my problems. Maybe more, but not 100%. No, that can't be the case, I refuse to go that far._grins

I know all about taking care of my responsibilities and carrying my own water. Believe me. But these days I am making a lot of mistakes, kind of troubling. My first scope was the Meade LX50 10in just about 20 years ago. I never did figure that thing out. Sold it in frustration. Lesson 1. So, I appreciate every one's comments, some where quite funny. 

The comment about the dongle instructions for me was quite humorous and dead on. I think part of the confusion is the vague reference to the tiny switch that changes the link (??) dynamics. But why do I chose one over the other. I get the impression one indent is for putting the dongle on my network and the other selection is to just link it directly and bypassing any network issues. Seems this would be the route for me, I am on a home network, but they are not the most secure systems. Easily hacked these days.

Again, my sincere thanks. Just for the record, I have EVERY instruction booklet or sheets of every thing in this house and the garage. They go back more than 20 years. Massive amount of paper work. You can actually see the decline in true instruction booklets. Less and less. Now some don't even offer instructions, you have to download them off the net. History is fascinating.

Edited by Gregory2012, 27 February 2020 - 02:25 PM.

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:03 PM

waytogo.gif

Personally I always read the instructions..

After I can't get the darn thing to work...  smile.gif

As to why no one suggested you might be looking through it the wrong way, I see two possibilitiesl

#1 No one here has ever looked through a Telrad the wrong way.

#2 No one here is willing to admit they looked through it the wrong way before discovering the right way.

Myself, my first Telrad came installed on a used scope..

You have provided a service.. in the future, your post will help others.

:goodjob:

Jon

#15 decep

decep

Vostok 1

• Loc: Griffin, Georgia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:00 PM

I was reading through your post and actually had a thought that you might be looking at the Telrad the wrong way.  I do the same thing almost every time I pick mine up.

There is probably some psychology or maybe a cultural reason why some people (me included) assume something is supposed to be oriented a certain way.  Maybe it is as simple as most things with a "lens" are held with the lens pointing away from the user.

#16 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:49 AM

I only read the instructions if I can't figure it out. But usually I don't need them.

That said, I do now which end of a beer can to open. lol.gif

Greg, if you tell me you looked in the "big end" of your telescope first, I'm going to fall off my chair LOL.

Welcome to the Human Race. You sound a bit more Human than many of us.

I really appreciate your candid honesty. grin.gif waytogo.gif

#17 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:11 PM

I only read the instructions if I can't figure it out. But usually I don't need them.

That said, I do now which end of a beer can to open. lol.gif

Greg, if you tell me you looked in the "big end" of your telescope first, I'm going to fall off my chair LOL.

Welcome to the Human Race. You sound a bit more Human than many of us.

I really appreciate your candid honesty. grin.gif waytogo.gif

I have looked through the big end, but I promise it was only to check for dust. I was wondering why the image was so small._grin I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

• SonnyE likes this

#18 Gregory2012

Gregory2012

Messenger

• topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:23 PM

Thanks every one for your helpful and fun comments. I enjoyed this conversation.

Here is some thing every one should be concerned about. I am of an age, I figured out all of this stuff through trial and error, but as far back as 17 years ago. I bought the Telrad thinking it would be an addition to ease any efforts at the scope. BUT, I figured out my system long ago and at times, which has become obvious, I forget I already went through all of this. I guess it's time to start documenting every thing I do.

The end to all of this, I never needed a Telrad. The way I have my set up configured, I no longer need more assistance. I forgot those facts pure and simple. So, I will either put it on my wife's little scope (some thing she never uses) or sell it.

Again, my thanks.

• SonnyE likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics