•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Miserable Weather - NGC 2903

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kaos

Kaos

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: VA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:08 AM

Man I have been socked in for MONTHS! Seems like every time it is clear, it is a full moon (or close). This has been by far the worst winter for imaging I have ever experienced. 

Finally, I had three clear nights and the seeing was not too good 2 out of the three nights. Guiding was problematic and caused a lot of subs to be lost. This is probably the worst data set I have had the misfortune to acquire since I bought the ASI 1600 MM three years ago. I salvaged 6 hours of Lum 2 min subs and 1.5 hours each of RGB 2 min subs. 

I used PI for preprocessing and then had to switch back and forth between PI and PS CC to process the data. I had to do the noise reduction on PS CC as I could not get MLtransform to work right in PI on this data. It is beyond me why, but it kept over doing the data washing it out no matter what settings I used or whether I did it in linear state or non-linear. However, PS CC cleaned it up nicely. Bringing out the color in PI was also  REALLY problematic until I did some manipulation in PS. Once I managed to get it more saturated in PS using very targeted masks, I was able to finally use PI and color masks to target certain areas and juice up the color. 

It is frustrating with the weather and finally getting some data and then feeling like the data was a disaster or close smile.gif ! I am my own worst critic and am debating whether to upload to Astrobin. What you think? As always CC are welcome.

Kaos

Attached Thumbnails

• NGC 2903.JPG
  • NGC 2903-1.JPG

• John Miele, astrovienna, TimN and 6 others like this

#2 DSOs4Me

DSOs4Me

Messenger

• Loc: South Jersey

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:35 AM

I think it looks good. As for the weather! I just started imaging in the Summer and couldn't wait for my first winter to image in nice crisp clear nights - Well you know how that's going frown.gif

• Kaos likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics