•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mars, Jupiter and Saturn 27 Feb 2020

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:37 AM

Like a lot of people around here, I seem to have caught a case of Martian fever, so with the skies finally forecast to be clear this morning I set the early alarm and headed out into the cold and dark. The seeing conditions were midway between excellent and terrible, I'll rate it about 3/5. This was my first time imaging Mars, so I spent the first few captures playing with the FC settings as the planet rose above the neighbour's roof, eventually settling on a gain setting of 230 with a 10 ms shutter speed. I also tried with gain 290 and a 5 ms shutter speed, but the resulting images from the video stream were virtually identical.

The last two videos 30 minutes apart produced the best images where the planet's altitude was about 45 and 50 degrees with the sun rising fast. The issue I have with getting a correct colour balance on Uranus and Neptune is obviously also an issue with Mars, but I'll cross that bridge later. I chose a colour balance that seems consistent with what everyone else is using, and put the two images together as an animation. I've displayed at 3x captured size (because it's pretty small otherwise), originally I thought the details on the disc were sharpening artifacts or dust motes, but since they appear to move with the animation I guess they are real. I don't like the bright rim at the top left of the planet, maybe that is a sharpening artifact.

Jupiter and Saturn were bright in the sky near dawn and despite their low altitude, were just too tempting to pass up. Shown at captured size, as they can't withstand any magnification due to the low quality of the frames.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• Mars-animation.gif
  • Jup-25-animation-2.gif
  • 2020-02-26-1918_4-L-Sat_l6_ap97_Driz30 SatASI3A ps1vsm.png

• Sunspot, Jeffrey C., NMCN and 20 others like this

#2 wargrafix

wargrafix

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Trinidad

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:30 AM

Well done!

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Voyager 1

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:58 AM

Excellent Andrew! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif All 3 are good, but Mars atm with this vista is a challenge...clouds as well as some good features!

As for the rind effect (diffraction) I've posted on removing it without falsifying the image in any way: I can't point to the postings which were several years ago now, but I find the easiest & least complicated approach is to make 2 separate processing, a softer processing & a "normal" as far as sharpening is concerned...using a "layer mask" in p/shop it is a simple matter to use the softer-processings limb region in the affected location on the sharper processing...& if that is not enough you can apply some minimal "non-destructive dodge & burn" to that result, where only tonal values are altered without adding/removing anything to the image. (you can do a search for simple tutes on this application btw)

Using localised sharpening is another way you can process a softer-processed image also but I find that nearly always the softer-on-sharper processing overlay does almost everything required, with some slight NDD&B. 

#4 HGW

HGW

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Germany

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:50 AM

Very good captures!flowerred.gif

It would be niceto get some technical details of your setup and processing.smile.gif

Best regards from a rainy Germany,

Hans

#5 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Viera Florida

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:17 AM

Very nice Andrew, especially Saturn.

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:48 PM

Hi all, thanks for all the "likes" and comments, looking forward to this year's planetary season smile.gif

Excellent Andrew! waytogo.gif waytogo.gif waytogo.gif All 3 are good, but Mars atm with this vista is a challenge...clouds as well as some good features!

As for the rind effect (diffraction) I've posted on removing it without falsifying the image in any way: I can't point to the postings which were several years ago now, but I find the easiest & least complicated approach is to make 2 separate processing, a softer processing & a "normal" as far as sharpening is concerned...using a "layer mask" in p/shop it is a simple matter to use the softer-processings limb region in the affected location on the sharper processing...& if that is not enough you can apply some minimal "non-destructive dodge & burn" to that result, where only tonal values are altered without adding/removing anything to the image. (you can do a search for simple tutes on this application btw)

Using localised sharpening is another way you can process a softer-processed image also but I find that nearly always the softer-on-sharper processing overlay does almost everything required, with some slight NDD&B. 

Thanks Darryl, I'll have a play with the sharpening settings (kinda like what I did for Saturn all those months ago) and see where I end up.

Very good captures!flowerred.gif

It would be niceto get some technical details of your setup and processing.smile.gif

Best regards from a rainy Germany,

Hans

Thanks Hans, capture details are below:

Image details: Celestron Evolution 9.25" SCT with 2.5x TV Powermate @f21 (approx) with ASI224MC camera, frames stacked in AS!3 with 3x drizzle, sharpened and colour corrected in Registax, final touches in Photoshop Elements.

Mars: Camera gain 230 & 100 fps for 5 min, 25% of 30,000 frames stacked, colour settings R1.10, G0.95, B1.15 in Registax 6, colour tweaked further in PS

Jupiter: Camera gain 350 & 220 fps for 3 min, 25% of 40,000 frames stacked, auto colour correction in R6

Saturn: Camera gain 375 & 100 fps for 4 min, 25% of 24,000 frames stacked, auto colour correction in R6

A photo of my setup is here.

Andrew

#7 troyt

troyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:51 PM

good images Andrew smile.gif

#8 sunnyday

sunnyday

Aurora

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 28 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

they are very beautiful.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics