•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Anyone want to 3D Print their own GoTo mount?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cuivienor

cuivienor

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:20 AM

Just saw this, it's an opensource, 3D-printable, Arduino driven fork mount for small OTAs or lenses. Looks awesome!

https://amp.reddit.c...eleasing_today/

https://hackaday.com...omy-instrument/

#2 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:56 AM

There's a topic on here by the creator about it I saw yesterday I believe. And yes, pretty cool.

Here it is.

https://www.cloudyni...oguiding-mount/

Edited by spacemunkee, 27 February 2020 - 07:58 AM.

#3 Redbetter

Redbetter

Cosmos

• Loc: Central Valley, CA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

My experience with 3D printers is that I can do better with some stock, a drill and a file...and it doesn't take a committee of people several days to do the job.  I spent some time broaching drive spacers that one of our 3D printers finally spat out. It would have been weeks faster just to custom cut a part with some sheet and chisel or exacto knife, etc.  I have never seen anything break down so frequently or produce such uniformly poor material as a various 3D printers.  Can't trust the product of 3D prints for anything.  I know they are all the rage, but I have learned not to trust them for anything I actually wont to use...throwaway toys maybe, but nothing else.  Fad, fad, fad.

• SonnyE likes this

#4 Don W

Don W

demi-god and Chairman of the Finance Committee

• Administrators
  • Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:21 AM

I disagree. The materials available now are much better.

• Prima Luna likes this

#5 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:04 PM

+1

I printed a worm gearbox in ABS! I haven’t measured the periodic error though...

I dare anyone to produce a worm gearbox with bar stock, a drill, and a file...

3D printing has allowed me to prototype a harmonic drive mount then I used the same 3D files, sent to a CNC machine shop, to make the mount in aluminium. I’ve also created lots of telescope accessories like finder brackets, guide scope rings, Polemaster adapters...
  • Don W, Prima Luna, ewave and 1 other like this

#6 SonnyE

SonnyE

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cali for ni a

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:52 PM

+1

I printed a worm gearbox in ABS! I haven’t measured the periodic error though...

I dare anyone to produce a worm gearbox with bar stock, a drill, and a file...

3D printing has allowed me to prototype a harmonic drive mount then I used the same 3D files, sent to a CNC machine shop, to make the mount in aluminium. I’ve also created lots of telescope accessories like finder brackets, guide scope rings, Polemaster adapters...

How do you think gears were invented?

• biz likes this

#7 orlyandico

orlyandico

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Singapore

Posted 27 February 2020 - 06:13 PM

You can cut spur gears with hand tools. Don't know how worm gears were cut before hobbing on a lathe was done, but there's a very nice YouTube video about a lathe from the 1700's - so I'm guessing they hobbed gears as far back as 400 years ago.

But this is here and now - can anyone here criticizing 3D printers hand-cut (without a lathe) a worm gear and worm wheel in say 2 hours out of any material?

• ewave and ChrisWhite like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics