•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Combined Apertures on Milky Way Core (Widefield)

dslr astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:01 AM

Ever since my full-scale widefield Milky Way post from last September…um…(burned down in a digital fire? flame.gif )…disappeared, I've felt compelled to significantly improve the image (vice uploading the same hackneyed version that was destroyed by the gods). Having learned linear processing since that post, I felt compelled to combine the published f/4.5 (wide-open) ISO1600 data with a set of unpublished data at f/5.0 ISO3200. Yes, I know there's more highlight clipping, but the ~SQRT(2) noise reduction seemed worth pursuing. Fortunately, simply combining the stars (vice masking out the ones in the ISO3200 data) yielded a satisfactory, not-too-clipped result:

post_small.jpg

Capture details / 1800x1200 version

I was hoping to offer up the new full-size result to the Astrobin, but now the bloody site won't let me log in! Maybe I was too slow at replacing my sad faces…?

:'(

BQ

Edited by BQ Octantis, 28 February 2020 - 12:51 AM.

• Starman27, aa5te, caheaton and 9 others like this

#2 Astroman007

Astroman007

Voyager 1

• Loc: Northern Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:45 AM

jawdrop.gifGlorious!  bow.gif

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Now I won't be able to stop dreaming of summer, the season and the skies.

#3 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:57 AM

Almost looks like an edge-on spiral galaxy as captured with a large, professional scope. Wonder why that is? wink.gif

There was a thread from a few years ago that tried to speculate on what the Andromeda Galaxy would look like if you were very close to same and I guess the OP and a few others were thinking that it would look to the naked eye like what can be seen in long exposure photographs (which it would NOT). I wrote that you really didn't need to go all the way to the Andromeda Galaxy because you already know what it would look like given our own Milky Way.

#4 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:50 AM

Thanks to all for the likes!

jawdrop.gifGlorious!  bow.gif

Thank you so much for sharing this with us! Now I won't be able to stop dreaming of summer, the season and the skies.

Cheers, mate! With the late summer fly season upon us, I'm dreaming of winter (but the same skies). wink.gif

Almost looks like an edge-on spiral galaxy as captured with a large, professional scope. Wonder why that is? wink.gif

There was a thread from a few years ago that tried to speculate on what the Andromeda Galaxy would look like if you were very close to same and I guess the OP and a few others were thinking that it would look to the naked eye like what can be seen in long exposure photographs (which it would NOT). I wrote that you really didn't need to go all the way to the Andromeda Galaxy because you already know what it would look like given our own Milky Way.

Well, it is an edge-on spiral, after all…as seen from within! Only from the Tropic of Capricorn can you fully appreciate that the view is from within: from September to November the Milky Way encircles the observer around the entire horizon. I wish I could come up with a good way to capture this…

BQ

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dslr, astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics