•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Vernal Equinox Observatory needing to be motorized

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 sberrada

sberrada

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 08 June 2021 - 06:37 AM

Hi Jess,

very well done!

Everything is so professionally designed and built - very impressive.

just to confirm; the open/ closed sensors do not control anything , they just confirm that roof is fully open or closed, to allow circuit to unpack / or park scopes ?

How accurately does roof need to be in position for the sensors to detect ?  (Ie within 1’’)

cheers

Sam

#27 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Hill Country, Texas

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:55 AM

This is schematic version 1.3 with changes to the Aleko circuit board to control the Aleko motor relays through Scope Park Safe. The Aleko by default has a default infrared sensor which most ROR version show the Arudino connecting its scope park safe to that, as I also did originally. Testing however show that the Aleko will still allow opening of the roof even if the scope park safe is unsafe. It does function only if the roof is closing. This is the same logic as an automatic garage door sensor, allows it to open, but if the sensor is blocked, then closing can be affected. So I modified the Arduino Scope Park Safe to actually control the Aleko motor (both directions of open and close) if the scope park is unsafe.

With the front LED and Button panel

Attached File  Arudino ROR LED Front Panel Schematic.pdf   258.89KB   7 downloads

Jess

#28 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:26 AM

Hi Jess,

very well done!

Everything is so professionally designed and built - very impressive.

just to confirm; the open/ closed sensors do not control anything , they just confirm that roof is fully open or closed, to allow circuit to unpack / or park scopes ?

How accurately does roof need to be in position for the sensors to detect ?  (Ie within 1’’)

cheers

Sam

The open and close sensors do control an 'Open relay" and 'Close relay' for controlling a motor directly. The open and close sensor also tells the Arduino what state the roof is (moving, open or closed). Since the Aleko has a 120 volts AC motor and Aleko relays already, I just let the Aleko control the motor. Sending 120 volts AC into the Arduino panel is not my preferred way while there is a safer way by letting the Aleko handle it. If building a DIY with say 12 or 24 volts, then this Arduino box can control those motor using the Arduino open and close relay. The system will do both (Aleko and DIY motor) without any changes.

The Scope Park Safe is a separate circuit. Since the Arduino as designed can be used for a DIY motor system or by using the Aleko gate opener or garage door system, it needs to be independent. So if unsafe the design will not allow the push button, key fob, and ASCOM computer to open or close. It stops the Arduino 'Open relay' and 'Close relay' from operating. Since the Arduino has a separate relay for Scope Park Unsafe, I this relay to disable the Aleko motor control relays by splicing into the circuit board pad. I find this works the best way in that it stops the push button, key fob, and ASCOM from opening or closing the roof. This Safe relay output can be used as need for each DIY setup.s, then this Arduino box can control those motor using the Arduino open and close relay. The system will do both (Aleko and DIY motor) without any changes.

I was able to get about 2.5-3" gap before the Open and Close magnetic sensor actually closed the contatcts. I gotten another magnetic sensor to replace the reflex beam sensor for the scope park safe as I am just not sure about shinning more light into the mount during imaging. This new magnetic sensor I am going to use for the scope park sensor seems to be about the same gap 2-3" . 

Jess

#29 GrandadCast

GrandadCast

Apollo

• topic starter

Posted 09 June 2021 - 10:50 AM

Schematic without the front panel push button and LEDs. This is really the same as with the front panel, all I did is just removed the front panel section so it is easier to follow if your not familiar with reading electronic schematics and don't want the front push button and LEDs. 

Attached File  Arudino ROR Schematic.pdf   243.82KB   18 downloads

Jess

#30 sberrada

sberrada

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Quebec

Posted 10 June 2021 - 07:33 AM

Hi Jess,

excellent clarification and very well explained - a huge thank you.

Sam 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics