•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT 130 Thoughts.,Availibility?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:41 PM

Hello.,This looks/sounds like a nice scope.,any owners want to share their opinion's.,The site says more on the way.,any idea on when.,,thanks for reading.,

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

An amazing scope, great value, overall mechanical quality is excellent, views are breathtaking to my old eyes..

However, its.25 Lbs with diagonal, eyepiece, Losmandy D bar, very objective heavy.

You must use a rock solid mount/tripod/pier

I would guess next shipment (April?) may be delayed due to the current health issues in China.(or Taiwan?) but you may wish to contact Astronomics for better info.

Overall I love this scope and its gonna stay right here..

The Astro-Tech 130mm + 80mm on a TWII

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0509.jpg

Edited by Xeroid, 27 February 2020 - 05:28 PM.

• Scott Beith, Astronomics, zjc26138 and 4 others like this

#3 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:11 PM

I purchased a AT130EDT about a year ago.  I am very pleased with it.  It gives great views.

I've had it to many of our outreach programs, and it will continue to be one of the scopes I take.

I also purchased a CGEM II to carry it.  It's a very good combination.

• Scott Beith, Astronomics, zjc26138 and 1 other like this

#4 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:15 PM

I meant to look at the weight,.25#.,lol.,my 127 is 15#+acc,,.I think my mount can hold it,.I can add 10# to the 127 and see.,

Thanks for the replies.,

• zjc26138 likes this

#5 fmeschia

fmeschia

Apollo

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:44 PM

I have one, I use it mostly for imaging, and I’m quite happy with it. Check my Flickr/Astrobin gallery.

• Scott Beith, Astronomics, zjc26138 and 2 others like this

#6 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

Posted 28 February 2020 - 08:17 AM

The 130 is 19# without accessories.

• clearwaterdave and PKDfan like this

#7 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Apollo

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:40 PM

I really like mine - it's currently my most used scope. Razor sharp, CA free images. It's built like a tank and it shows when you lift it. It's also very nose heavy (typical of triplets), so you'll need a decent mount for it. A great scope for the money. Miner is a keeper.

• Scott Beith and Astronomics like this

#8 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 28 February 2020 - 07:36 PM

The next scheduled shipment is sometime in April.  However, the coronavirus is playing havoc with deliveries as the factory was closed until late last week.  That being said, I have no idea how that will affect the shipment to us.

• Scott Beith, eros312, clearwaterdave and 1 other like this

#9 Odin Exodus

Odin Exodus

Vostok 1

• Loc: NE Ohio, USA

Posted 02 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

I received the AT130 on the first batch when it was introduced a few years ago. I haven't had the pleasure of looking through an AP or TEC, but I am extremely pleased with the quality of this scope and can hardly imagine where many more improvements could be made. For value and quality, the AT130 stands far and above all the other telescopes I looked at. I'd go a step further and say it's the best in class 5" for under $2,000. 

• Astronomics and clearwaterdave like this

#10 Chris K

Chris K

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, Earth

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:46 PM

Great responses. Need help deciding between the 115 and 130.

Will be almost all visual observing. If i put a camera on it, it'll just for fun. Will not get into AP.

I don't have a mount yet so I'd be sure to match it accordingly and purchase together.

Willing to pay for either, since I'm looking for this to be my last.

Appreciate any personal experiences.

Thanks, be well everyone.

#11 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 27 March 2020 - 12:08 AM

I really enjoy mine too. Here is a photo of the setup

AT130EDT

• Scott Beith, payner, eros312 and 3 others like this

#12 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:35 AM

Any word yet about the arrivial of these.,Does one need to pre-pay to get one?.,Thanks.,

#13 skybsd

skybsd

Aurora

Posted 25 April 2020 - 11:34 AM

Hello, 

Any word yet about the arrivial of these.,Does one need to pre-pay to get one?.,Thanks.,

You do know that this scope is sold by the sponsor of Cloudy Nights Astronomics, yes? 

Rest assured, any questions you have about the product, including its availability can be answered by them.., 

Best., 

skybsd 

#14 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 25 April 2020 - 04:46 PM

Hello, 

You do know that this scope is sold by the sponsor of Cloudy Nights Astronomics, yes? 

Rest assured, any questions you have about the product, including its availability can be answered by them.., 

Best., 

skybsd 

Yes,.thank you.,They have replied to this thread already.,I was hoping for an update from them so I bumped the thread,.best2all.,

#15 Garyth64

Garyth64

Aurora

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:09 AM

You have to pay for it, before they will ship it.

• clearwaterdave likes this

#16 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 27 April 2020 - 07:21 AM

You have to pay for it, before they will ship it.

I knew there was a reason the big brown truck kept rollin on by.,lol.,thanks.,

• greenjuice likes this

#17 greenjuice

greenjuice

Viking 1

• Loc: NW CT.

Posted 27 April 2020 - 04:55 PM

Yeah Dave, I’ve been thinking about that scope as well. If I sell my AT115 I can probably swing it. Just want to see just a little bit more.....

Now that I have my Rowan AZ100 mount I can make it work.

-M

#18 Odin Exodus

Odin Exodus

Vostok 1

• Loc: NE Ohio, USA

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

Looking forward to hearing from you folks who are picking up the AT115 or AT130. Hope you enjoy your new setup!

#19 Chris K

Chris K

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:32 PM

Looking forward to hearing from you folks who are picking up the AT115 or AT130. Hope you enjoy your new setup!

I currently have an 8" reflector. Where should I set my expectations with the 130mm?

I want to use it for visual observing of clusters, doubles, planets mostly.  I don't have much expectation for nebulae and galaxies.

The more I read the more unsure I get. Some say stunning views. Other threads say something like M13 won't be resolved to any stars and stick with a big dob.

Thank you

• StarWolf57 and clearwaterdave like this

#20 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:53 AM

I currently have an 8" reflector. Where should I set my expectations with the 130mm?

I want to use it for visual observing of clusters, doubles, planets mostly.  I don't have much expectation for nebulae and galaxies.

The more I read the more unsure I get. Some say stunning views. Other threads say something like M13 won't be resolved to any stars and stick with a big dob.

Thank you

Hi Chris.,Your dob with your eyepieces will be hard to beat without going bigger.,The one thing the 130 will do is a wider fov right?.,It will also need a good mount and tripod.,

To me.,looking at your question.,the choice is a matter of do you just want something different to look through.,because it will be the same time needed for set up.,this ain't g+g.,so no real gain there.,Will the extra fov be worth it for you?.,good luck.,

Because of the times and my current set up I am going to pass on the 130 at this point.,To much up in the air.,Best2all

• gene 4181 and Chris K like this

#21 StarWolf57

StarWolf57

Apollo

• Loc: Granada Hills (Los Angeles), CA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

Thank you

One night I had my C8 Edge and AT130 mounted side by side. I was struck by how the views were more similar than different. As you would expect, the C8 went a little deeper and would have a little more resolution. The 130 had a significantly wider FOV and better contrast. Stars are pinpoint (although edge optics are quite good in that respect). Colors were more vivid. I think that's what struck me the most. Overall, the views were quite nice with the 130 and made scanning the sky a joy. I have no intention of letting mine go. It has become my most used scope.

The 130 will need a decent mount as it is heavy (built like a tank) and is especially nose heavy (typical of triplets).  If you really want to get better views of DSOs, a bigger DOB is probably your best bet, but good refractors have that "pop" that you won't get in an SCT. Tough choice, I know :)

• Scott Beith, SteveG, clearwaterdave and 2 others like this

#22 Chris K

Chris K

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:49 PM

One night I had my C8 Edge and AT130 mounted side by side. I was struck by how the views were more similar than different. As you would expect, the C8 went a little deeper and would have a little more resolution. The 130 had a significantly wider FOV and better contrast. Stars are pinpoint (although edge optics are quite good in that respect). Colors were more vivid. I think that's what struck me the most. Overall, the views were quite nice with the 130 and made scanning the sky a joy. I have no intention of letting mine go. It has become my most used scope.

The 130 will need a decent mount as it is heavy (built like a tank) and is especially nose heavy (typical of triplets).  If you really want to get better views of DSOs, a bigger DOB is probably your best bet, but good refractors have that "pop" that you won't get in an SCT. Tough choice, I know smile.gif

Thanks Jim. That's all I needed to hear and I'm going with it. Now to pair it with a mount. Hopefully it won't take me another 4 months to decide, LOL.

#23 rkaufmann87

rkaufmann87

Apollo

• Loc: Folsom, CA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

Can’t beat a GM811G and there is one for sale in the adds section for $2450, not a bad deal considering what is included.

• Auburn80 likes this

#24 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

The reason I am passing is I have a 127 achro.,and a 120.,and a few 102's.,one of which is the AT102ED.,I think I have enough and don't think selling in Maine would happen to easily.,??.,And I'm not sure visually if I would see much difference between the 127 and the 130.,so.,.As much as I would love one.,I will wait for now.,.best2all

#25 Xeroid

Xeroid

Surveyor 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:15 PM

clearwaterdave,

Good move and given your dark skies, I would wait until ya can get a C9,25 or a C11!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics