•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AT 130 Thoughts.,Availibility?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 clearwaterdave

clearwaterdave

Aurora

• ****-
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Western Maine

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:40 PM

clearwaterdave,

Good move and given your dark skies, I would wait until ya can get a C9,25 or a C11!!

Those are not on the list for me.,My 15+# 127 is about my limit for lifting/mounting.,and I have the 10" dob,.I like the frac's.,best2all.,

#27 Bob_Huerbsch

Bob_Huerbsch

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Augustine, FL

Posted 18 May 2020 - 03:14 PM

I’ll never forget getting lost in space with an AT130EDT and Omega Centauri under Bortle 2 skies...
  • Scott Beith, clearwaterdave, YAOG and 1 other like this

#28 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:41 PM

One night I had my C8 Edge and AT130 mounted side by side. I was struck by how the views were more similar than different. As you would expect, the C8 went a little deeper and would have a little more resolution. The 130 had a significantly wider FOV and better contrast. Stars are pinpoint (although edge optics are quite good in that respect). Colors were more vivid. I think that's what struck me the most. Overall, the views were quite nice with the 130 and made scanning the sky a joy. I have no intention of letting mine go. It has become my most used scope.

The 130 will need a decent mount as it is heavy (built like a tank) and is especially nose heavy (typical of triplets).  If you really want to get better views of DSOs, a bigger DOB is probably your best bet, but good refractors have that "pop" that you won't get in an SCT. Tough choice, I know smile.gif

You hit on an weird phenomenon I have seen and heard over and over for all my decades in astronomy. That SCTs in theory should be similar to what we see in a refractor but the reality of it is well equipped refractors tend to have prettier more refined views and higher contrast than even much larger SCTs which should beat the pants off the smaller refractor objectives. I am a long time reflector user owning and grinding using several Newts in my life as well a owning many SCTs and more recently a few better refractors. Over several decades I have come to conclude that SCTs somehow never manage live up to their potential and that similarly sized mirrors in a Newtonian always seem to outperform the SCT. But the weird thing is that top shelf refractors give even prettier views than a Newtonian. There is something about the view at the eyepiece of a refractor that the best reflectors are missing. It is not about going deeper but a something else, just a quality you cannot get from a reflector that I cannot seem to define or describe other than they are better.    

• Joe Bergeron, Heywood and russell23 like this

#29 YAOG

YAOG

Vanguard

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:51 PM

I’ll never forget getting lost in space with an AT130EDT and Omega Centauri under Bortle 2 skies...

How did you get back?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics