•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Time Lapse video of Night Sky with Spectacular End

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 STxPhotographer

STxPhotographer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Riviera, Texas

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:32 PM

I have been enjoying producing time lapse videos of the night sky.  The fun comes around when you find interesting meteors, satellite flares, green fireballs and other things that just seem to happen.

Well, last night I did an overnight session and the video was very typical until the very last seconds of the video.  The video has a few small meteors, planes, satellites and car lights that interrupt a little but in the last seconds I'm not sure what this event was but I find it to be somewhat spectacular.  Take a look and please comment if you have any ideas on what the event at the end of the video might be.  Here is the link to the video... 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• BinoGuy, rekokich, t_image and 3 others like this

#2 sunnyday

sunnyday

Aurora

• Loc: Ottawa,Canada

Posted 27 February 2020 - 10:47 PM

the link does not work for me

#3 STxPhotographer

STxPhotographer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

Yeah...I posted too quickly.  Google is still processing the video so it may be a few minutes before it is done.  After looking at the individual images it looks like the items that appear at the end of the video are one meteor and many satellites passing through the sky at the same time.  It is an interesting event nonetheless.

Edited by STxPhotographer, 27 February 2020 - 11:41 PM.

#4 JohnBear

JohnBear

Vostok 1

• Loc: Sandy, Utah

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:43 PM

As Mr. Spock would say, "Fascinating."

• STxPhotographer likes this

#5 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Surveyor 1

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:35 AM

Man this is cool. 

#6 petert913

petert913

Soyuz

• Loc: Portland, OR

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:39 AM

Nice meteors at the end.  Seeing Polaris so low, and palm trees, is an unusual site for me :)

#7 STxPhotographer

STxPhotographer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:02 AM

Only the very first item that starts off the bunch of passing items is a meteor.  All of the other items are satellites.  I know this because each exposure is 13 seconds in length so meteors flash by in just one frame and satellites can take multiple frames to pass the field of view.  But...it's pretty spectacular to see all of these at the same time.

• t_image likes this

#8 t_image

t_image

Gemini

• -----

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:06 AM

At the end they are not meteors because they persist for multiple frames if one slows the playback this is clear. Seeing the quick apparent motion of the stars rotating betray the long exposures per frame,

which accounts for the lines seen per frame because

Satellites are passing across your exposures for the given length of time (shutter was open for each image).

It becomes prominent with multiple ones because dawn is near,

meaning the Sun is already risen from behind the Earth from those satellite's perspective since being 'high up' gives them a different perspective.

Often satellites will flare as they come out of shadow......

Share the timestamp(calibrating for any offset of camera time and real time) of the given frames in question and the satellites can be identified. Starlinks were going left to right fwiw, you may have caught only one.....

Edit-I see you posted while I was typing......

Fun vid!

Edited by t_image, 28 February 2020 - 01:09 AM.

• BinoGuy and Swordfishy like this

#9 STxPhotographer

STxPhotographer

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:23 AM

I need to set the time on my camera each time I am prepping for a session.  I know the value of the timestamp in identifying satellites but haven't incorporated the time setting as part of my routine.  Thanks for the reminder and for your comments.

• Swordfishy likes this

#10 Swordfishy

Swordfishy

Ranger 4

• Loc: Miami, FL

Posted 28 February 2020 - 01:29 PM

This is beautiful! I love how you managed to keep the green on the palm trees. Great adjusting there. I love making these... I need to make more! The amount of stuff you see is amazing!

• BinoGuy likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics