•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion Synscan goto vs Skywatcher Synscan goto firmware

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MitchK

MitchK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Burbank, WA / Goldendale, WA

Posted 27 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

Hi all. I recently purchased a new Orion Skyview Pro 8 EQ. SInce I have a new scope/mount, I figured I would go all out and purchase the Orion Synscan goto upgrade kit. I found a new in box, never used upgrade kit for a very good price and it is sitting here on the bench waiting to be installed. So I hooked everything up on the bench and tested it. It all works perfectly, but I noted that the firmware version was 4.39.04. I checked the Orion website, and found that the latest firmware is 4.39.05, so I downloaded the updated firmware and install program and performed the update. Everything installed with no issues, and tests fine. As I was doing research on the Synscan goto system, I stumbled across the Skywatcher site. Everything I have read states that the Orion and Skywatcher Synscan goto systems are the same system. I notice on the Skywatcher site that the latest firmware is 4.39.10. The info on the firmware stated it fixed a number of bugs that were in 4.39.05.

So the questions are, are they truly the same hardware? If so, why hasn't Orion's website listed the latest firmware since there is apparently bugs in version 4.39.05?

Since I picked up the Synscan goto kit second hand, I do not have any warranty, so using the Skywatcher firmware wouldn't void the non existent warranty.

#2 outofsight

outofsight

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:30 AM

They are the same, and although it says V3.39.05 on the Orion page, it's actually 4.39.10. If you look at the Orion update page, link below, you'll see the V3.39.05 under Software Downloads, and then two below it you'll see the download V4.39.05. But if you hover over the top link, or download it, you'll see that it is V4.39.10, they messed up the labeling. They messed it up in a couple of ways, it's not V3, it is V4, and it's not 5, it's 10.

https://www.telescop...-EQ/p/99365.uts

SynScan is SynScan, whether from Orion or Sky-Watcher.

Edited by outofsight, 28 February 2020 - 12:35 AM.

• spongebob@55 likes this

#3 MitchK

MitchK

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Burbank, WA / Goldendale, WA

Posted 28 February 2020 - 02:36 PM

outofsight, 

Thanks for the reply. From everything I had read I had come to the same conclusion. I went to the Orion site and looked at the files. I did not see the 4.39.10 file. So I went to the Skywatcher site and downloaded it there. Updated the hand control and everything is working fine. 

I also played with the Synscan Pro for PC control program. I do not have the WIFI adapter yet, so I just wired it via USB. Again, everything worked fine. 

So as soon as the WIFI adapter arrives, I'll be able to remote control the mount from my laptop or tablet.

• outofsight likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics